• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 600yd range at Pelham Fish and Game

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" and also congratulations to all of the folks who worked hard to get the new 600yd range up and running at Pelham. The first match there yesterday went really well. Looking forward to the next one in early August!

When I read this the first thing I told a friend of mine was... "Hey hell literally just froze over, Pelham finished their 600 yard range!!!!" [laugh]

-Mike

Nice they notified the membership [thinking]

It's been on the calendar for months....

I ended up shooting the MRP state championship at Reading instead. (Really needed to refine my 600 yard zeros, and I'm not a huge fan of the NHHPRL course of fire anyway.) I'll definitely be adding Pelham into the rotation after Perry.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't even shot at 200yds. wish I could go somewhere where I could being a non member

Matches are almost always open to non-members. (Check with the match director ahead of time, especially if you're a less experienced shooter.)

I volunteered on the first day of "sanding" for the WWII target holders. If I get lung cancer from the asbestos paint, I'll expect a 20 gun PF&G salute. (ya right)

I was looking for an e-blast announcement of the opening of the 600 yard range but never saw one. The last e-blast (tm) that I saw was on the 19th, and it didn't even mention the 600 yard range. Didn't think to check the web site.

What do you guys use for rifles/scopes at that distance? I'm building a 308 but that won't be done for a while, and an optic to match might be even longer...

What do you guys use for rifles/scopes at that distance?

335.jpg

Too bad we'll never see the 1000yd at Pemi Valley. Not that I could use it.
I volunteered on the first day of "sanding" for the WWII target holders. If I get lung cancer from the asbestos paint, I'll expect a 20 gun PF&G salute. (ya right)

I was looking for an e-blast announcement of the opening of the 600 yard range but never saw one. The last e-blast (tm) that I saw was on the 19th, and it didn't even mention the 600 yard range. Didn't think to check the web site.

What do you guys use for rifles/scopes at that distance? I'm building a 308 but that won't be done for a while, and an optic to match might be even longer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad we'll never see the 1000yd at Pemi Valley. Not that I could use it.

Pretty sure that one is dead thanks to shitty neighbors and poorly executed legal strategy. (Or lack thereof...) Live free or die.

Pretty sure that one is dead thanks to shitty neighbors and poorly executed legal strategy. (Or lack thereof...)

Yeah, I really love that club. Honor system and my membership cost like $35 for the whole family. It's 30 miles from my place but I go on the way up to the White Mts. And shitty neighbors is laughable. It's in the middle of ****ing nowhere.

And shitty neighbors is laughable. It's in the middle of ****ing nowhere.

I know, but that didn't stop them from showing up at the zoning board hearings with lawyers. Supposedly the guy who owns "The Common Man" restaurants was behind it.

Anyway, I don't want to take this off topic. There's a Pemi thread on here somewhere already.

Not that it's not widely known, but Marines qual yearly on body mods at 500 yards...600 isn't THAT much different. 5.56 is still effective at that range.

Don't they use ACOGS now? Or are the yearly quals still iron sights?

How on gods green earth could you see the target with iron sights? I'd be lucky to keep my rounds inside a 3' circle.

Well since you mention it, it is a 3 foot circle. (Literally. The 7 ring is 36" wide.) The 600 yard target is HUGE. It's not as hard to hit it as people think.

Shooting X's is a bit tougher though. [grin]

Last edited:
Don't they use ACOGS now? Or are the yearly quals still iron sights?

As of the last two years...yes, that is correct. Prior to that it was all irons. To be honest, i prefer and am somewhat more accurate with irons, as the acog reticules we use are effective for bullet drop and leading targets, but are difficult to Kentucky Windage. I think the model on my M16 is 31a trijicon agog...with the 'bible verse' serial scraped off the side, of course.

335.jpg
[/QUO
TE]
How on gods green earth could you see the target with iron sights? I'd be lucky to keep my rounds inside a 3' circle.

I like the sling - definitely not happy with the one on my AR.

I think the way the targets are designed is that the black section is the same width as the front sight post at the distance you are shooting. So as jasons said, the black is huge on a 600 yard target. I use the SR-1 target for 100 yards, which is the 200 yard target shrunk for 100 yards.

Is it me, or does that sound really expensive? Are property taxes outrageous in Pelham?

That's not out of line with what similar clubs charge. Keep in mind that includes initiation.

Lol. I tip my hat to the competitive shooters who routinely hit inside the X ring at 600 yards using irons. Respect.

335.jpg
[/QUO
TE]

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

The 600 yard target is big. It really isn't that hard to hit it -- hitting it well (particularly on a windy day), now that is hard. A number of years back, Mrs. M1911 joined me at a Service Rifle clinic at Reading. She made a couple 10s from the 600 yard line and she was a very inexperienced shooter.

We shoot them at 800, 900, and 1000 yards also. Long range woosies don't like to get hit by brass and whine a lot but... If you can see well enough, you can hit it.
335.jpg
[/QUO
TE]

Back
Top Bottom