• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New .22-250

The Goose

NES Member
I have been a long time fan of the .22-250. I have an old Savage Model 12 that I have just shot to death, but it is still a tackdriver. However, for a while now I have wanted to get their stainless steel model with a thumbhole stock. Finally got one. I have always loaded with H380 as my go to powder for this round, but wanted to try some Varget. I loaded 36.5 grs of Varget under a 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. The picture shown is my first group at 100 yards right out of the box with a Mueller 8-32X44 scope. Also popped some plastic golf balls at 200 yards. I think this load shows promise. IMG_20180920_120925526.jpg IMG_20180927_115615358.jpg

Great looking rifle and nice work with the load. Anything special for case prep?

I've always been intrigued by the .22-250. If I lived anywhere that would be great for varmint shooting, I'd have one.

Nothing special for case prep. Once fired Winchester brass just checked for length. I am considering investing in some new Lapua brass. A little pricey, but is supposed to last longer. Personally, I would love to try a prairie dog hunt out west where they shoot at 400 - 600 yards.

Big fan of Lapua brass. I use it many times over for .30-06 M1 Garand and .308 M1A match shooting. I lose or damage (step on, etc.) a few but have yet to see one fail. Of course I don't load that hot but with the same loads I've seen my LC brass start showing stress signs where it will typically separate near the base. Most of the time, my Lapua brass will actually drop right in to the case gauge after firing. LC, Win, Fed brass will rarely do that on the same loads. YRMV...

Back
Top Bottom