New 2020 Python

Unfortunately, after only 7 rounds of Colt’s National Match .38 Special, I experienced a failure to advance the cylinder. A few other reviewers have experienced this issue as well. Colt is aware of the issue (likely a failure of the hand to rebound), and ask that anyone experiencing this issue send their Pythons in for assessment and repair. This may be a teething issue, but it seems like Colt should have done more due diligence to prevent this issue from occurring to customers in the first place.

Thoroughly embarrassing that the range demo model they have at ShotShow doesn't even work! QC? What QC?! Giant own goal at one of the two biggest industry publicity events of the year.

I suspect they were trying to make the tolerances too tight on this one, without the hand fitting/adjusting. CNC encourages that, but it also means a little dirt in there can really bind it up. The wrong combo of "meeting tolerances" in each part and... you get a sort of lemon. Depending on design, it can bind hard or the hand can slip. Like I said, I tried a 686 that was just like that - very tight, but because of that it would bind up when dirty and the hand would skip... click! - and also tried a 617 that was so tight, it would bind up hard on fired Minimag brass (but not on SV). It happens. Doesn't surprise me on new designs just rolling out. I bet there will be quite a market for smiths to give these a "spa treatment" the same way some lever actions are commonly sent for slicking up. I also bet Colt gets on the stick and starts parts matching based on tolerance ranges.
Freedom Arms .454 is well known for accuracy and tight tolerance. I've had two of their ,4 3/4 " .454's and both would bind up after 15 rounds or so, due to powder residue. It seems as though tight tolerance and binding up go hand in hand.

My girl’s dad has 2 of the older Pythons, 6” & 4”. Nice firearm. He had no idea how much they are worth today, lol.

Attachments

• FFEB1314-657A-4BA0-B493-374B35B63FA8.jpeg
    FFEB1314-657A-4BA0-B493-374B35B63FA8.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 208C830C-61EB-44DF-BC73-2C9FD975A963.jpeg
    208C830C-61EB-44DF-BC73-2C9FD975A963.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 19
Today I picked up my new 2020 Colt Python 4.25" bbl. After a safety and function check with it unloaded, I fired 12 rounds out in my backyard. I used a combination of .38 special and .357 magnum. I also fired some in single action and some double action. The last 4 rounds I fired as rapidly as I could in DA. I had no issues at all during this very short test.

20200422_142642.jpg

20200422_141956.jpg

Freedom Arms .454 is well known for accuracy and tight tolerance. I've had two of their ,4 3/4 " .454's and both would bind up after 15 rounds or so, due to powder residue. It seems as though tight tolerance and binding up go hand in hand.

Where was the residue buildup that caused the binding, in the barrel to cylinder gap ???

So here's my evaluation of the trigger on the new Python after an exhaustive 12 shot trip to my backyard here in SC. I have also done a bit of dry firing today comparing the new revolver with my S&W 66-1 (no lock and firing pin on the hammer) and an S&W 686-8. Both the 66 and the Python have a ribbed trigger contact surface. That bothers some people but not me. The 686 has a smooth trigger contact surface.

The 66 has had a trigger job by Derr Precision and the 686 and Python are "stock."

66: Smooth and lightest DA and SA pull of the three.
686: Light SA pull and pretty good DA action
Python: Just a little heavier SA pull compared to the Smith and Wesson guns. DA pull is also just a wee bit heavier.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge down here.

I will say that the balance on the Python is very good. Dry firing in double action I am able to control the sight better than with the other two revolvers. Also, the length of the trigger pull on the Python is just slightly shorter (DA) than on either Smith. I like where the trigger breaks.

Colt had a rocky start to this new gun that many have been begging for over the last few years. Maybe they have things sorted out. My first impressions are positive. Time will tell.

Everything else notwithstanding it is a beautiful piece IMHO. And much more expensive that a S&W, Ruger or Taurus revolver.

20200423_120700.jpg

Last edited:
Today I picked up my new 2020 Colt Python 4.25" bbl. After a safety and function check with it unloaded, I fired 12 rounds out in my backyard. I used a combination of .38 special and .357 magnum. I also fired some in single action and some double action. The last 4 rounds I fired as rapidly as I could in DA. I had no issues at all during this very short test.

View attachment 350729

View attachment 350730
Nice looking roscoe, but what really caught my attention was "fired 12 rounds out in my backyard". LIVING THE DREAM! [cheers]
Looking forward to more updates!

This is the one gun I'm getting myself this year!
Always wanted a Colt King Cobra 4" in stainless steel.
This will do.

Back
Top Bottom