New 2020 Python

the older generation of employees they had weren't going to be able to be retrained for the CNC's,
Not so sure about this. I'm no spring chicken and I didn't find it that hard to learn to operate the machine. In fact I didn't find it all that difficult to write and load simple programs for it, although that's pretty tedious. Light years easier to achieve good results than the artwork and magic required to get the best out of manually controlled mills and lathes. Given pre loaded programs and some knowledge of what tools and materials to load into it half the guys bagging at Stop and Shop could probably produce acceptable results with today's machines.

Not so sure about this. I'm no spring chicken and I didn't find it that hard to learn to operate the machine. In fact I didn't find it all that difficult to write and load simple programs for it, although that's pretty tedious. Light years easier to achieve good results than the artwork and magic required to get the best out of manually controlled mills and lathes. Given pre loaded programs and some knowledge of what tools and materials to load into it half the guys bagging at Stop and Shop could probably produce acceptable results with today's machines.
Admittedly, when I'm thinking of such employees, I'm thinking of guys in their late 50s/early 60s who were a couple years from retirement. I'm sure there were probably younger guys who were running those manual machines who could pick it up faster and have more motivation to do so.

Will be interesting to see this pop out. I have a Colt Python "Ultimate" that went through the custom shop, 4 inch SS made in 1981. I've heard so many stories that stated Colt could never build the Python again.
1. tooling was destroyed.
2. Techs had to polish SS for two years before they were let loose to polish the Pythons.
3. People who used to make them are mostly dead now. Kinda like the argument that one could not reproduce the saturn v Five rocket anymore, the knowledge base is for ever gone.

This should be interesting. Is this going to be replicated part for part or just a close approximate of the original?

God Bless Machinists...

Where can you buy these?? I went to hooksett, none in stock.

I looked on gunbroker, if you are willing to pay $600-$800 over MSRP, there's a few available.

I guess I'll be waiting for the next batch.... If i'm gonna pay over MSRP, i mights well buy an original safe queen.

I also don't see any reason to do that.......

Where can you buy these?? I went to hooksett, none in stock.

I looked on gunbroker, if you are willing to pay $600-$800 over MSRP, there's a few available.

I guess I'll be waiting for the next batch.... If i'm gonna pay over MSRP, i mights well buy an original safe queen.

I also don't see any reason to do that.......
There were a bunch of vendors that had them in stock the other day. But they sold out quick. Kcfirearms.com was one of them. Just over $1300 shipped.

I would be lying if i said i wasn't interested... well they may not come to mass anyway.

i don't drink the prancing pony koolade but i am curious to know if colt is also hiring/training people to work on repairs... last I heard, there were two people left.

I had very good experience with colt service on pythons in the past so I really hope they are getting some new blood... I have three old pythons and I don't give a shit if this causes the value to go down - I shoot all of them and they are not an investment.

IIYtUuI.jpg

Anything can be made again if you have enough time and money. There's a guy making perfect replicas of Luger prototypes, and another guy making custom Webleys in magnum calibers. But Colt's not exactly overflowing with cash and I'm not surprised they took the easy road instead of reproducing a largely handmade gun. Look at the new 1908 they did a few years ago--finish and quality issues despite a high price.

As my dearly departed Dad said: "Your average Colt is always better out of the box, but it's as good as it will ever be. A S&W might be as good as the Colt, or it might be a piece of crap, but it can either be improved, or just get better with age."

Personally, I'd rather have a Ruger than either of them.

Anything can be made again if you have enough time and money. There's a guy making perfect replicas of Luger prototypes, and another guy making custom Webleys in magnum calibers. But Colt's not exactly overflowing with cash and I'm not surprised they took the easy road instead of reproducing a largely handmade gun. Look at the new 1908 they did a few years ago--finish and quality issues despite a high price.
It's not the easy road it's likely the only viable road, given labor costs and modern manufacturing. Otherwise you'll end up with a product that, even at 50% of a Korth, has already priced itself out of the market.

-Mike

For those interested and/or care about the MA roster, I heard from someone who does machining work for Colt revolvers that the 6" model will be approved/added to the target roster. When? I don't know. He said wait until sometime after SHOT Show...

Last edited:
For those interested and/or care about the MA roster, I heard from someone who does machining work for Colt revolvers that the 6" model will be approved/added to the target roster. When? I don't know.

List comes out every quarter or around there?

Last one was 9/19, so....................... few weeks or april maybe

This is a must-own.

And if it doesn't make it on to the target roster, I'll be looking for one of those unicorn stores that doesn't give two shits about Maura and her hoobastank bullshit.

I did read, from what seemed like a reliable source (although I can't remember where, now), that Colt was working on getting this approved and onto the MA target roster.

Frank

I think the remake of the Python will make the old ones more sought after because it will expose a whole new generation of gun buyers the mystique of the old ones.

The blueing on the old ones really is incredible, I had one and foolishly sold it. I still have a 4'' Colt Trooper III and the blueing on that is not too shabby either.

Watch Hickok45's python vid before buying. Personally, I think Colt is about done.

Much to my regret I just watched the video, he loved the 2020 Python. Are you referring to the cylinder failing to advance near the end, shit happens.

I had never seen a Hickok45 video, JFC was that brutal. The guy made what could have been an 8 minute video 35 minutes long.

Shit shouldn't happen when your revolver costs twice the competitions price, and the competitions works.
You must have fallen asleep. Hickok loved the python 'til it stopped working, then, the same as he said about the NRA, he wished them the best and hoped the issues got sorted out.

I hate everyone trying to dance on a potential grave of a firearm manufacturer. Try running a firearm company and deal with day to day business plus because you make firearms, here is a another pile of regulations you need to adhere to. And oh BTW Massachusetts Department of Public Safety called “Your Guns are scary so we don’t want them. And BTW, even if we OK them Maura Healy needs to give her dispensation one it.

I've seen other videos on you tube that show the Colt 2020 Python with the same problems. I sure do hope they find a remedy by the time the gun makes the Massachusetts list. That's one sweet looking revolver. Anyone know how much you get for selling a kidney these days?

Back
Top Bottom