New 2020 Python

Knob Creek

NES Member
A redesigned Colt Python is being shipped. But not to Mass or CA or MD.

"Building on Colt’s Snake Gun legacy, the legendary double-action revolver returns in stainless steel in 4.25” and 6” barrel lengths. The 2020 Python features modern stainless steel alloys and a re-designed rear sight. Thirty percent more steel beneath the rear adjustable target sight gives you a stronger revolver and more robust shooting experience. A recessed target crown, user-interchangeable front sight, and Walnut grip with the iconic Colt medallion make this a gun you’ll want to shoot AND show off."

Colt's Manufacturing LLC

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-yt5lZEpc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR06RRLUlp2WEhThwPXDGMLwcDSHZ0YQ0yEy9iOWLYi2_R6p55SFSmiTfrQ

Where are the new designs from this once-venerable Firearms Giant...?

Is Colt a one-trick-pony?

3744cff1c056b8b3ce87f2e2a6846cba.jpg

Last edited:
$1500 is cheaper than the $2k-4k range of a used one...
probably the third most iconic revolver in american manufacturing history after #1 the colt saa and #2 the smith m29. in it's day the python was the most labor intensive handgun mass produced. just what i see in the minor physical changes of the new one i'm not likin' it much. almost like they want to introduce a new gun but need to ride on the reputation of the glory days.

I think this is great. Yeah, it is a little pricey, but nice guns always are.
They mentioned some things I was really happy to hear.
Stronger steel, Thicker in all the right places.
Adjustable and replaceable sights
Crowned barrel
14 fewer parts in the action. Probably very similar to the S&W action, alleviating the timing and lock up issues some old Pythons have.
Great trigger

I was not at all surprised that they will be stainless steel finish only. A few years ago I read an article about some of the challenges Colt faced in the current market. Chief among them was the amount of hand fitting and polishing that went into their blued guns and the legendary Colt Blueing took many hours to get it right. It was a prized skill that few of their employees had, and many of them were approaching retirement age. Also, much of their machinery was basically antique and took years to learn how to operate, adjust and tweek, to deliver the best results.
I hope they are on the return path to greatness. Like many of us, I won't be holding my breath. But this sure is another step in the right direction.

My interpreation with a bit of educated guesswork:

"Trigger better", "no stacking", "more durable" ===> "We eliminated the notoriously difficult to work with leaf spring and replaced it with the less expensive and easier to work Colt Trooper style action. We could have called this a reintroduction of the BOA and been more accurate, but figured Python would sell better."

Now why on earth would it not ship to MA. ?
The only reason I could think of would be the trigger.

Boy, #YOUTOO finally gave up to the abuse and you are now wondering around like a lost puppy looking for an adoption. [slap]

Here is your one and the only reason. Don't you ever forget it!

mh.jpg

My interpreation with a bit of educated guesswork:

"Trigger better", "no stacking", "more durable" ===> "We eliminated the notoriously difficult to work with leaf spring and replaced it with the less expensive and easier to work Colt Trooper style action. We could have called this a reintroduction of the BOA and been more accurate, but figured Python would sell better."
Are you referring to the MKIII Trooper? I thought the original Trooper was an I frame and shared the Python action, just not the fit and finish.

Are you referring to the MKIII Trooper? I thought the original Trooper was an I frame and shared the Python action, just not the fit and finish.
The MKIII used a coiled spring as did the MKIV. The classic Python action is a leaf spring. The difference in the Python design goes well beyond fit, finish and external profile.

Lew Horton commissioned a run of guns with the Python style externals, Trooper style action, and model name BOA instead of Python on the barrel. The gun bore no Lew Horton nomenclature, and presents as another Colt model, which is why is is recognized as a "rare colt" rather than a "small custom run", the later commanding a much smaller market premium. This is one of, if not the, rarest snake gun and you can buy at least two braces of mint condition classic Pythons for what one BOA goes for. It is the 1916-D Mercury dime of snake gun collections. I don't know if the BOA had the classic Python style hammer. Lew Horton also sold BOAs in a matched pair of 4" and 6". I think all of the BOAs came in a blued finish.

Which is why I suspect the new Python is a rebranded BOA, not a real Python resurrection.

Looks like a few online vendors have them in stock. Cheapest I could find was $1295 plus $15 shipping

Once you add transfer fees, it will be approaching MSRP - right now anyway. I can’t imagine these will drop much lower than $1200.

Back
Top Bottom