New 2019 Yaesu FT3DR

Not to hijack this thread, although I’m sure this question will.

What’s are ham radios used for? I know that you can talk to one another like the old citizen band. I know this is a basic dumb question not trying to be a smarta**. Never known anyone with one and I see lots of people on here jumping on the radio deals. Just curious...

Harry

What’s are ham radios used for? I know that you can talk to one another like the old citizen band. I know this is a basic dumb question not trying to be a smarta**. Never known anyone with one and I see lots of people on here jumping on the radio deals. Just curious...

Harry

Simple answers:

For some it's a serious and fun hobby. There is no end to the tinkering and experimenting (so so many = antenna combos & designs, different kinds of radios, amps, propagation, etc.). If you join a local club that is active, then there are tremendous learning opportunities, events, kit builds, etc. .... constantly going on.

For some, its also about emcoms = emergency communications. The hobby is very much a part of emergency networks everywhere (public, state, town, county, and other emergency services, along with private groups).

In line with the above point, many are drawn to it for the "grid down" benefits, and natural or man-made disaster preparedness aspects.

I'm looking around and Ham Radio Outlet is taking reservations for $35.00. DX Engineering is taking reservations for $50.00. What do you think the price point for this radio is going to be?

I can buy 52 Baofengs or similar types for the MSRP of one Yaesu FT3DR. If I lost a Baofeng, I wouldn't even go looking for it, I'd open another box off the shelf and throw one in the charger.

My days of buying expensive portables are long over. Nobody on the local repeater ever knew I was on a Baofeng until I told them.

Harry

One advantage to having a ham radio license I discovered this year when I wanted to buy a drone. The more expensive drones require a ham radio license to operate. The license is not just for using just talking, it enables you the ability to use frequencies and transmit voice, data, even morse code. You can access satellites and even occasionally contact the international space station and talk to the astronauts aboard. Last year when the ISS flew over Massachusetts I managed to pull a picture of New England from space off of the ISS cameras. All of that is 100% legal and available to people with a license.

It might be a good time to pick up a lightly used FT2DR. I was looking at these a little while back. I'm never on the air but I have delusions of getting around to it one day and I like the new features these radios have.

Shit...that is too expensive for a HT.

I have the FT2DR and I can't use half the features on the damn thing. That was a $400 radio. No way in hell I'm paying $520 for a HT. Hell...a decent base station / mobile costs that much and has a lot more power.

I've got a Tri-Band TYT, a dual band Baofang and an AnyTone 868 for DMR. Don't need me another HT.

I'm late to the party, but I just picked up an FT3D at HRO. Charging it up as I type!
Nice!
I didn’t even check in to the party...got mine in January (also from HRO) and like it so far...except for the time it took to charge with the provided charger. Bought the faster charger - worth the money.

Nice!
I didn’t even check in to the party...got mine in January (also from HRO) and like it so far...except for the time it took to charge with the provided charger. Bought the faster charger - worth the money,

HRO set me up with the most common accessories... Diamond antenna, rapid charger, 12 volt charging cord, programming software, a nifty manual and a remote lapel speaker/mic. It's a pretty sweet (and overwhelming) upgrade from the old UV-5R.

I've had an FT2DR for about 5 years - no issues whatsoever. Great for analog repeater or simplex work, but really excels at C4FM (Fusion).

I think they're much more than conventional "HT's" per se, when you consider APRS, C4FM, X-Wires, and ADMS-8 capability. You also can't go wrong with HRO. 👍

Jim, WQ2H

Are there any interesting Fusion nets for the pro 2A community? I was scolded on my local net (not really...) for mentioning how pissed off I am at the way we left Afghanistan. I know better, and knew that I was crossing the Religious/Political line, or at least skirting it, but I wish the ham community didn't seem so F'ing woke.
Is there a net for people like us?

I have a Yeasu FRG7, I dont think i have turned it on in 10 yrs. I got it mainly to listen to commercial radio stations in different parts of the world. I imagine it falls int the "antique" catagory by now.

Any update to this? Was it worth it? How is it holding up? I'd love to hear some details.
I love it! My understanding is that the FT5 and FT3 are very similar, the exception being a new functionality to the color display and a better speaker. I would have waited (like two days?) to buy the FT5, but I had no idea it was about to be released. Anyway, the FT3 is fantastic. I'm still learning about its capabilities, all of which are new to me as a new ham. Steep learning curve, but I really enjoy it and I'm having a ball. It seems very durable and I've found it easy to program with RT sys. software.

Back
Top Bottom