New 2019 Yaesu FT3DR

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not to hijack this thread, although I’m sure this question will.

What’s are ham radios used for? I know that you can talk to one another like the old citizen band. I know this is a basic dumb question not trying to be a smarta**. Never known anyone with one and I see lots of people on here jumping on the radio deals. Just curious...

Harry

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

What’s are ham radios used for? I know that you can talk to one another like the old citizen band. I know this is a basic dumb question not trying to be a smarta**. Never known anyone with one and I see lots of people on here jumping on the radio deals. Just curious...

Harry
Simple answers:

For some it's a serious and fun hobby. There is no end to the tinkering and experimenting (so so many = antenna combos & designs, different kinds of radios, amps, propagation, etc.). If you join a local club that is active, then there are tremendous learning opportunities, events, kit builds, etc. .... constantly going on.

For some, its also about emcoms = emergency communications. The hobby is very much a part of emergency networks everywhere (public, state, town, county, and other emergency services, along with private groups).

In line with the above point, many are drawn to it for the "grid down" benefits, and natural or man-made disaster preparedness aspects.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm looking around and Ham Radio Outlet is taking reservations for $35.00. DX Engineering is taking reservations for $50.00. What do you think the price point for this radio is going to be?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can buy 52 Baofengs or similar types for the MSRP of one Yaesu FT3DR. If I lost a Baofeng, I wouldn't even go looking for it, I'd open another box off the shelf and throw one in the charger.

My days of buying expensive portables are long over. Nobody on the local repeater ever knew I was on a Baofeng until I told them.

Reactions: AHM

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Harry

One advantage to having a ham radio license I discovered this year when I wanted to buy a drone. The more expensive drones require a ham radio license to operate. The license is not just for using just talking, it enables you the ability to use frequencies and transmit voice, data, even morse code. You can access satellites and even occasionally contact the international space station and talk to the astronauts aboard. Last year when the ISS flew over Massachusetts I managed to pull a picture of New England from space off of the ISS cameras. All of that is 100% legal and available to people with a license.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It might be a good time to pick up a lightly used FT2DR. I was looking at these a little while back. I'm never on the air but I have delusions of getting around to it one day and I like the new features these radios have.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh, another radio without a num pad
Well, it's a touchscreen - not a VX-1.

You have opinions about stuff like laptop failure modes.
Which do you think will crap out first - a touchscreen or a keypad?

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shit...that is too expensive for a HT.

I have the FT2DR and I can't use half the features on the damn thing. That was a $400 radio. No way in hell I'm paying $520 for a HT. Hell...a decent base station / mobile costs that much and has a lot more power.

I've got a Tri-Band TYT, a dual band Baofang and an AnyTone 868 for DMR. Don't need me another HT.

Top Bottom