• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 1911 in MA?

I am saving up for a new 1911 in MA and have a few questions.

1. Is there any new 1911s that can be purchased in MA shops other than S&W or auto ord?

2. do all S&W 1911s have that GIANT SW1911 on the slide?

3. Does anyone know where I can get a new Rock Island Armory 1911 (.45)through a dealer in MA?

1: You may find some that were brought into this state by someone moving here. That will be tough to find though. Are you dead set on brand new?

2: No, the newer ones have smaller markings on the left side of the slide.

3: See answer 1

after reading the thread about what to look for in a used 1911, I would prefer new. I have been shooting for a few years now but am no where near qualified to disassemble and thoroughly inspect a 1911 and from what that thread says; it seems there are a lot of things to look for that could possibly make the 1911 a lemon. I'd rather not buy something that billy bob tinkered around with.

The just get a S&W, they make a ton of models and have good customer service. I have a lightweight commander that I bought used and have put a tons of rounds though with no issues.

Hardcore 1911 followers hate the external extractor, some of the ways some of the parts are made (MIM), and some other issues, but for first 1911 at a reasonable price, I think you'll be pleased with a Smith.

Don't forget about Colts that may be MA compliants. I bought a real nice Series 80 from Al at Tackle Unlimted in Brockton and he often has several 1911 Gold Cups for sale.

Last edited:
I am saving up for a new 1911 in MA and have a few questions.

1. Is there any new 1911s that can be purchased in MA shops other than S&W or auto ord?

2. do all S&W 1911s have that GIANT SW1911 on the slide?

3. Does anyone know where I can get a new Rock Island Armory 1911 (.45)through a dealer in MA?

Para Ordnance and SVI also make 1911 for the MA market.

Respectfully,

jkelly

New Colt 1911s are not MA compliant.

Right. I edited my post as it did not convey what I was trying to say and I should not have included a link to a sale that I know nothing about.

My point was, if you are patient and look, you can find an older MA compliant gun NIB or LNIB and that will give you more options than just looking at the "new" guns you can currently purchase in MA.

went with the Rock Island Armory 1911A1. Bare bones GI, but pretty much the least expensive 1911 I could get in MA that was new and not an auto ordnance.
IMG00161.jpg

went with the Rock Island Armory 1911A1. Bare bones GI, but pretty much the least expensive 1911 I could get in MA that was new and not an auto ordnance.

I've been thinking about one of those. Where did you pick it up? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

Got it from a MA FFL I found on gunsamerica.com, but it was his last one and he said he's not getting any more. $500 NIB

Last edited:
Bit over priced for any other state but considering how difficult these can be to find in MA, I wa4 willing to pay a few dollars more. was thinking bout the pachmayr half wood half rubber grips.

Last edited:
I would take a look at the used pistols available. I prefer the "Series 70" Colts; no firing pin safety. If I were to buy new, it would be S&W.

Ok, Stupid Noob Question Time: what is the purpose of sticking a pen or pencil through the trigger guard as in the above picture? I see that done frequently in pictures, but can't figure out why.

The pen, catridge or whatever else that's placed in the trigger guard is supposed to help present an angled photo-shot of the firearm, when properly placed.

Ok, Stupid Noob Question Time: what is the purpose of sticking a pen or pencil through the trigger guard as in the above picture? I see that done frequently in pictures, but can't figure out why.

Thumb through this thread. It covers that question pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom