• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Never seen this 9mm brass before

I was picking up my brass from an outdoor range the other day and this was in my stash. I've never seen this type of brass before with a solid ring inside.

MAXXTech 9mm

IMG_0860_zpsg1s9by29.jpg

IMG_0858_zpsqjtmjin8.jpg

I found a few of those recently in my range brass. It looks expensive to manufacture. My guess is that's it began with a high pressure factory cartridge.

See this in the S+B cases. Honestly though, what I thought was more interesting was that nasty crater on the primer, got a better pic of that? I *think* what this case is trying to do is compensate for a lack of powder with over pressurization. The compacted load might build up a higher PSI value than a stiffer load that has more give to it, perhaps because the weight of the extra space in brass is more expensive than the reciprocal weight in powder. At least, that makes sense in my head.

It's junk brass for recycling, not for reloading. The stepped case tends to separate.

I was at the Ammo to Go site the other day and saw that brand of ammo and it was cheap price wise compared to all the other brands even the commercial reloads. Less than 20 cents a round and berdan primed IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom