• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nevada Bill Would Allow Criminals to Sue Victims Who Defend Themselves

SB254 Update: "The author has expressed that the bill will NOT be moving forward" (Will be withdrawn by Senator Ford).

See the NRA-ILA website.
His copy and pasted reply to a lot of people who posted on his page
The messaging on SB 254 has been misleading, principally because the language came out less than perfect. Sorry for the confusion, as I never intended this Bill to remove your ability to defend yourself from, for example, a burglar in your home. At all.

What I endeavored to address was "stand-your-ground" incidents where the person killed was a victim innocent of a crime. In those circumstances, the family left behind should, in my view, have the right to sue the vigilante civilly for the family's loss, even though one is acquitted of murder.

Suffice it to say, in view of the confusion surrounding SB254, the bill will not move forward.

Thank you for reaching out.

His copy and pasted reply to a lot of people who posted on his page

Ran it through Google translate. Comes out as "I got caught submitting a change that supports my criminal constituents, so I'm going to back off for now until hopefully no one is looking. Then I'll resubmit it."

What I endeavored to address was "stand-your-ground" incidents where the person killed was a victim innocent of a crime. In those circumstances, the family left behind should, in my view, have the right to sue the vigilante civilly for the family's loss, even though one is acquitted of murder.

If acquitted of murder, the accused legally is not a murderer and the deceased in that case is not a 'stand your ground "victim"'. But nice try weasel! Someone reading or hearing his statement might not pick up on exactly what he's saying and think it reasonable, when it sure as Hell isn't.

SYG is not always also "civil immunity"

Dead men can't sue..... Just saying.... that's what the law will encourage.
Dead Men's estates can sue, but they can't testify.

This is where civil immunity (e.g. RSA 627:1-a) is valuable -- it doesn't prevent the attacker's family from trying to sue you, but makes it highly unlikely they will find a lawyer willing to take the case on contingency.

SB254 Update: "The author has expressed that the bill will NOT be moving forward" (Will be withdrawn by Senator Ford).

See the NRA-ILA website.
While this is true, and a good outcome, the following facts remain:
  1. The bill was supported by 10 of 21 NV Senators, including their entire Senate leadership;
  2. The bill died in the committee chaired by the only Democrat who did not officially support the bill; and,
  3. Democrats have a majority in the Nevada Senate.
It almost would have passed their Senate. Now it probably would not have made it through their Assembly (House), or past the governor, but none the less, the majority of NV Democrat Senators thought this was a good idea as stated. Given the illogic of the sponsor's excuse for why he pulled it, I predict it will come up again in a slightly reworded, but no better, form again.

How do these people sleep at night dreaming up this shit?

I would bet anything that they did not actually come up with this shit. Some aide to Bloomberg probably drafted it for them, it got emailed to them, they smiled and nodded and submitted it, like good little moonbat sheep, following the the motions of the "big people" in their ranks.

Remember when Carolyn Mc Carthy couldn't tell Tucker Carlson what a Barrel Shroud was? Well, there's a good reason for that. Because she didn't actually write the legislation. Someone else did and handed it to her. Antis have been doing this shit for awhile.

I strongly suspect that if NV has a pro 2A organization, that its either not very strong or doesn't have much influence, ,otherwise this is the kind of thing that could be cut off at the pass through various means. It's pretty obvious here that Bloomberg sees a weakness in NV and is kinda bitter after he wasted that 6 million bucks or whatever it was to try to get UBC passed there and it didn't work, he is now armflapping and flailing about trying to get some "anti gun murderboner ROI" on his investment there.

-Mike

I would bet anything that they did not actually come up with this shit. Some aide to Bloomberg probably drafted it for them, it got emailed to them, they smiled and nodded and submitted it, like good little moonbat sheep, following the the motions of the "big people" in their ranks.

Remember when Carolyn Mc Carthy couldn't tell Tucker Carlson what a Barrel Shroud was? Well, there's a good reason for that. Because she didn't actually write the legislation. Someone else did and handed it to her. Antis have been doing this shit for awhile.

I strongly suspect that if NV has a pro 2A organization, that its either not very strong or doesn't have much influence, ,otherwise this is the kind of thing that could be cut off at the pass through various means. It's pretty obvious here that Bloomberg sees a weakness in NV and is kinda bitter after he wasted that 6 million bucks or whatever it was to try to get UBC passed there and it didn't work, he is now armflapping and flailing about trying to get some "anti gun murderboner ROI" on his investment there.

-Mike
It's not just antis. Much if not most legislation is not written by legislators, it's written by special interest groups. The quality of our law has noticeably declined in step with that trend- how many new laws have a mens rea component.

It's not just about guns.
It's anti self defense period .
Shoot em , stab em, whack em in the head with a bat or just a good old fashioned ass whipping.
In England you can be sued if not outright jailed for fighting back against someone trying to kill you.
There was a guy who wounded a home invader in England and he was sued by the guy because now the dude was afraid to do home invasions anymore because of his injuries and it robbed him of a living.
He won.

Shoot em , stab em, whack em in the head with a bat or just a good old fashioned ass whipping.
In England you can be sued if not outright jailed for fighting back against someone trying to kill you.
There was a guy who wounded a home invader in England and he was sued by the guy because now the dude was afraid to do home invasions anymore because of his injuries and it robbed him of a living.
He won.
They really need to hit the reset button. You know if French laws make you look weak you are doing something wrong

He won.

Was that the story about the old guy who shot a couple kids full of bird shot with his double barrel shotgun because they kept burglarizing his house? Didn't they toss the old guy in jail in addition to the didindonuffins suing him?

More lawyers making laws friendly for lawyers. Our pols in general don't give two shits about the people.

Lawyers should be banned from running for political office. Now that I think about it, that might solve a whole lot of problems in our Society.

Neg rep for posting where Maura lurks!

Just kidding, but why on earth would anyone think that is a good idea is beyond me...

Because most Democrat politicians are lawyers. Even if these cases get thrown out as complete bullshit when they get to court, the pieces of shit still make money off of them.

...a public official in the performance of his duties is immune from civil suit...

Wonder whether their is a police immunity provision for off duty cops.
Officially? In general “qualified immunity” applies anytime the officer is "acting within the scope of his employment". The defense has it's limits.

Unofficially, it's called "professional courtesy". Same way politicians and off-duty officers (used to) get immunity for DUI.

It's not just antis. Much if not most legislation is not written by legislators, it's written by special interest groups. The quality of our law has noticeably declined in step with that trend- how many new laws have a mens rea component.
Many lobby groups, including the hoplophobes, have law firms writing "model legislation" for them which their adherents then introduce, with few or no changes, at the state level.

For example, New Hampshire Representative Elaine Andrews-Ahearn often cribs from here http://smartgunlaws.org/resources/model-laws/

Was that the story about the old guy who shot a couple kids full of bird shot with his double barrel shotgun because they kept burglarizing his house? Didn't they toss the old guy in jail in addition to the didindonuffins suing him?

That's the one.
He got five years and the two shitbags got a pat on the head.

Last edited:
And some here think there is NO Difference between Liberals and Conservatives.[rofl]

Not shitting you- I just had a "conservative" that voted for trump, tell me 10 minutes ago he didn't like the new NH carry law because "it should have only been extended to NH residents" because "we dont know these people and whether or not they have a license somewhere else" and a bunch of other effluvial bullshit. My only retort was "Well, VT has had that kind of system in place for probably as long as you've been alive, maybe longer, and they haven't had any problems from it. "

My mind is numb.

America is loaded with retarded self described "conservatives" too.

-Mike

Not shitting you- I just had a "conservative" that voted for trump, tell me 10 minutes ago he didn't like the new NH carry law because "it should have only been extended to NH residents" because "we dont know these people and whether or not they have a license somewhere else" and a bunch of other effluvial bullshit. My only retort was "Well, VT has had that kind of system in place for probably as long as you've been alive, maybe longer, and they haven't had any problems from it. "

My mind is numb.

-Mike

Fudds gonna Fudd!

The only area something like this would pass is in Vegas. Having lived in NV for a couple years, no other area would consider it. Like NH, NV is a Shall Issue state, but the head of Clark? county is an ass and ignores the law. Everywhere else, it's legal CCW/home invasion vs intruder no questions asked. Just my exposure to both people and talking to law enforcement, both local and state.

My mind is numb.

-Mike

The view of wanting things to apply/not apply to you while not applying/applying to someone else, is a common view on multitudes of issues held by people of every political spectrum. Different rules for different people. I know I wouldn't do that, but I don't know that someone else wouldn't, therefore they should have to have x, y, and z apply, but nothing need apply to me.

So that persons opinion had little if anything to do with guns specifically.

Back
Top Bottom