• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Neshooters.com needs your advice

Who do you most want to train with?

• Randy Cain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Givens

• Louis Awerbuck

• Bill Jeans

• Total voters

JimConway

Instructor
Neshooters would appreciate your advice about the trainers and type of handgun training that we will offer in 2006. The following poll lists the trainers that we are considering or have already made arrangements with. What we would like to know is who do you want to train with and the level of training that you would prefer like to get.

Hey Jim,

Most of us in the deprived NE don't really know the names or what they offer.

I suggest that you post URLs with a 1-2 sentence description of what each trainer is best known for so that folks can give an informed vote in your poll.

I just ran in and am on the way out again, so I don't have time to find/post URLs.

Even with the training I've taken, I only know two (trained with both) and the other 2 are "just names" to me.

I think very highly of both Randy and Gabe, but in all honesty very few folks around here (unless they have ventured out to Gunsite/Frontsite/etc) have the required expertise to do well in a Gabe CRG/FOF course! We don't have places to train shooting on the move, shooting at multiple targets, team tactics, etc. so we aren't prepared for what Gabe offers (IMNSHO) and have almost no place to practice when he heads home to AZ. LE does not even do this sort of training in MA. MAYBE SWAT does, but not your average LEO . . . it's just not available to them "in the system".

Additionally, my answer to the poll would depend on what type of course the trainer was offering. I think it wise to bring Gabe back for another 2-day Basics course. I thought CRG1 was a great course, but I was NOT well prepared for it and doubt that I'd be sufficiently proficient by next year either.

That's my quarter's worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

Tony
Pat Rogers is almost impossible to get. Almost all of his time is under contract to the Marines. They have made a very good choice because he is one of the very best. I was going to make a comment about the Marines and their needs, but you will just edit my post so I will keep quite. Be well and keep shooting.

JimConway said:
Tony
Pat Rogers is almost impossible to get. Almost all of his time is under contract to the Marines. They have made a very good choice because he is one of the very best. I was going to make a comment about the Marines and their needs, but you will just edit my post so I will keep quite. Be well and keep shooting.

Hah! I would do no such thing. I wasn't sure of his availibility but I've heard that he does do training. Just not sure where or how much. Kind of sounds like Carlos Hathcock when I called him in '89 to get him to our SWAT school. He was stretched tighter than a mosquito's ass over a rain barrel. He told me to call him back in Jan. of '90 but I had left for the Corps by then.

It was just a thought.

As requested by Lens, the following is a brief description of each of the trainers that we are considering:

Gabe Suarez is a very forward thinking ex LEO that trained us a week ago. He is an excellent trainer and a very dynamic speaker. he has not had an empty seat in any of his classes for over 4 years. His site id=s www.suarezinternational.com

Randy Cain also comes from a law enfiorcement background and is considered to be one of the best His web site is www.guntactics.com

Bill Jeans is both an active LEO and a very active trainer. Previously Bill ran the Gunsite operation. The training that he offers is both advanced and very physical. I think that his web site is www.morrigan-consulting.com. I will check the in the morning.

Louis Awerbuck has also been very involved at Gunsite and is in very high demand. Louis is the author "tactical Reality" and "More tactical Reality" and is both a regular contributor to SWAT Magazine and a feature columnist at SWAT magazine. His web site is www.YFAINC.com

Tom Givens runs Range master in Tennessee and wrote the book "Fighting Smarter". He is a 25 year vetrean of law enforcement and professional security work.. He has also won IDPA and IPSC state shooting championships.His web site is www.rangemaster.com

I hope that this helps.

Tony
I would love to train with Pat Rodgers but I do not have any connection to him other than his training at Gunsite. He is one of the best once you get past his heavy Bronx accent. In running this poll, I am trying to balance the levels of traing that we are planning with the student's perceived needs. In doing this I am trying not to get too top heavy.

LenS commented recently that you were thinking of joining us for a class. The Gabe class that we just completed had students from Florida and North Carolina, and that proves that we are not prejudised againtst you southern guys and gals.

JimConway said:
Tony
I would love to train with Pat Rodgers but I do not have any connection to him other than his training at Gunsite. He is one of the best once you get past his heavy Bronx accent. In running this poll, I am trying to balance the levels of traing that we are planning with the student's perceived needs. In doing this I am trying not to get too top heavy.

LenS commented recently that you were thinking of joining us for a class. The Gabe class that we just completed had students from Florida and North Carolina, and that proves that we are not prejudised againtst you southern guys and gals.

I'd actually love to train with you guys. My problem is one of time, distance and finances. However, that does not rule out the possibility. I'd really enjoy an opportunity for an impromptu session to discuss and exchange ideas. I'll be flying into Manchester this Thursday to meet Derek as we head to Perry. No time for training and I don't know how far you are from Manchester, but...

Jim & Tony, if you guys decide on an impromptu range session, please let me know. It might be possible for me to get up there and join you guys.

BTW Jim, the verdict from S&W is that my 1911 has to return to them. The slide-release pin managed to work its way out a number of times while I was on the line in the Gabe Suarez course. I'm awaiting the pre-paid shipping label from S&W now.

Tony - are you renting a car or is Derek picking you up? If you don't have time for a range visit, how about a quick stop on your way south in Salem, NH for some of us to meet? There's a ton of restaurants in the area right off the highway.... Possibility?

Melody and my boys will be picking up Tony in Manchester since I'll be working. Cody isn't real fond of long trips so I'm not sure how long Melody will want to have him out. :(

We could maybe meet that night in Braintree for a pistol range session?

derek said:
We could maybe meet that night in Braintree for a pistol range session?

That might be doable (although it's a b*tch <I don't want to offend Ken's pup again> of a drive for me). We've got a student lined up for range time on Thursday night, so I need to make sure hubby doesn't mind doing it alone before I say yes.

Derek, that's be awesome!

Lynne, as long as you avoid rush hour coming down Rte 93/3 you'll be fine. Come down earlier and you and I can connect before the guys get there. Depending on what time they'll hit Braintree (they have a long drive from Spencer), you and I could connect up for dinner beforehand?

LenS said:
Derek, that's be awesome!

Lynne, as long as you avoid rush hour coming down Rte 93/3 you'll be fine. Come down earlier and you and I can connect before the guys get there. Depending on what time they'll hit Braintree (they have a long drive from Spencer), you and I could connect up for dinner beforehand?

Still haven't talked to hubby yet, but I'll let you know Len, thanks.

I'm going to poke my nose in here... is there room for another on Thursday night at Braintree? I could drive in to work and then head there from Boston. What time were you thinking of?

Ross

Lynne said:
I'm not going to be able to make it guys. Student comes first as Ed has to work Thursday night. Maybe next time... [cry]

Aw shucks! Well, maybe Tony will swing back into MA on his way home from Camp Perry?

What say you Derek, Tony?

I'm still available to meet up on Thursday evening, just give me a time and which range/clubhouse?

BTW, remember that Rte. 128/aka I-95/aka I-93 gets brutally backed up on Thursday evenings from ~4PM to ~6:30PM with "early escape to the Cape" traffic as well as normal rush hour traffic (which is brutal all by itself)!

LenS said:
Well, maybe Tony will swing back into MA on his way home from Camp Perry?

What say you Derek, Tony?

I'm still available to meet up on Thursday evening, just give me a time and which range/clubhouse?

Hey, I just realized - there's an IDPA practice on Thursday night starting at 5:30 at Riverside Gun Club in Hudson. Wanna swing by, Tony & Derek?

Ross

Ross, I think we are meeting at the Braintree Club Thursday night.

How often is Practice run at riverside? I want to try that out.

dwarven1 said:
Second and fouth Thursdays, April to October.

Ross

Well, then you'll have to show me around on August 18th, I'll put in my schedule. If you are going of course.

Back
Top Bottom