• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES site using 100% CPU - Problem found, BITCOIN MINING SCRIPT on NES Content

I use the Brave browser with Shield Down for NES and got high CPU usage. When I put Shields Up with script blocking, it stops.

Brave is a great security browser by the way
Yes this 100%. I use Brave on both PC and phones. Everything runs smooth amd fast.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Chrome settings -> advanced -> content settings -> javascript allows blocking of Javascript by site. Block coin-hive.com, not northeastshooters.com, or you will also disable features like embedded youtube videos in posts.

Yup, that's also a good solution for anyone without adblock plus installed. Should also replicate across instances of Chrome on other machines if you are signed in to Chrome.

Yup, that's also a good solution for anyone without adblock plus installed. Should also replicate across instances of Chrome on other machines if you are signed in to Chrome.

the adblock solution worked for me... the javascript blocking solution did not for some reason..

Running adblock and Chrome,tried Rob's suggestion..worked for a minute and back to 100%

How did you guys discover this anyway,I didn't even notice it.

And why is it on this site ?

Was browsing NES during the pats game, Laptop was getting super hot and fan was running at a speed i have never heard it run before. Made me start searching.

I was wondering why my Kaspersky AV was going bonkers...

drVGzXw.jpg

This was on the NES main page, normally I register 5-15 blocked attempts (or there abouts), on other websites.

Last edited:
Running adblock and Chrome,tried Rob's suggestion..worked for a minute and back to 100%

How did you guys discover this anyway,I didn't even notice it.

And why is it on this site ?
first did the chrome settings worked briefly then ramped up I aded the site to ad block plus everything is working now

I have Adblock and it said " Failed, not a valid filters list" when I added the script...Do I need the Plus version of Adblock ? Fergit it,just seen Plus was Firefox which I rarely use.

Also added the No Scripts addon,and it seems to be keeping it in check.

Is this something that a hacker can do,or does something like this get executed from someone like a server host etc ?

Last edited:
I can speculate that one of the vendors on the ad rotation network that NES subscribes to decided to go rogue and insert the miner in an ad unbeknownst to the ad network and to NES. That's why I usually browse with no javascript enabled anywhere. JS is a huge gaping security hole into your computer. Just be lucky that it was a bitcoin miner this time and not ransomware. This browser miner seems to be making the rounds lately:https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/09/16/1623255/can-the-pirate-bay-replace-ads-with-a-bitcoin-minerIf they were smart they would have limited the miner to a fraction of cpu usage so that people wouldn't notice. Pegging the cpu is a surefire way to get noticed. Amateurs.

Last edited:
I can speculate that one of the vendors on the ad rotation network that NES subscribes to decided to go rogue and insert the miner in an ad unbeknownst to the ad network and to NES. That's why I usually browse with no javascript enabled anywhere. JS is a huge gaping security hole into your computer. Just be lucky that it was a bitcoin miner this time and not ransomware. This browser miner seems to be making the rounds lately:https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/09/16/1623255/can-the-pirate-bay-replace-ads-with-a-bitcoin-minerIf they were smart they would have limited the miner to a fraction of cpu usage so that people wouldn't notice. Pegging the cpu is a surefire way to get noticed. Amateurs.

My web developer skills suck, but it looks like its right in the VBulletin file, not the ad content.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/content/
Line: 101

Last edited:
I've been using Brave on my phone with good results, but thought that the Windows version still needed a bit of work. I downloaded and installed it after reading this thread. I'm using it now and my CPU usage is down where it should be. I figured out how to import my bookmarks from Pale Moon, and just have to change a few settings to get it to work like that browser does. I have to see if I can increase the font size, but other than that, I'm in good shape.

I use the Brave browser with Shield Down for NES and got high CPU usage. When I put Shields Up with script blocking, it stops.

Brave is a great security browser by the way

I've been using Brave on my phone with good results, but thought that the Windows version still needed a bit of work. I downloaded and installed it after reading this thread. I'm using it now and my CPU usage is down where it should be. I figured out how to import my bookmarks from Pale Moon, and just have to change a few settings to get it to work like that browser does. I have to see if I can increase the font size, but other than that, I'm in good shape.

Increase font by using Control +, similarly decrease it by using Control -

Works with every browser that I've tried as well as Office applications.

I was wondering why my fan was running on high, non stop. Gun control proponent trying to fry our computers??? I guess I'll get off NES, and try back later.

Must have hit over the past few days, my data usage on my phone skyrocketed over the last 2 days. I just got the 10% warning, and I never get that (and only have a 3gb plan)

Back
Top Bottom