NES newcomer - Searching for gun club near Quincy

Hello all,

I'm a recent LTCA recipient looking for a place to shoot my new Sig P320. I have done research on countless clubs in the area, and it is a bit overwhelming so I was hoping for some community input. I don't mind driving a decent distance if there is a 24/7 range, and I don't mind higher dues if the facility has everything I am looking for. The idea is to have a place I can go shooting after work a few times a week, or be able to bring one or two family members or friends with me on the weekend.

Requirements:
- 24/7 indoor range
- Outdoor pistol/rifle range
- Allows members to bring guests

I've looked at the following:
Braintree Rile & Pistol Club
Weymouth Sportsmen's Club
Holbrook Sportsmen's Club
Hanson Rod & Gun Club
Ames Rifle & Pistol Club
Angle Tree Stone Rod & Gun Club
Mansfield Fish And Game
Mass Firearms
Mass Rifle Association

Some have ranges but don't allow guests; Some have only indoor/outdoor; Some are nondescript with their facilities/policies.

So if anyone in the area has a place that they love, could shed some light on how they meet the requirements above, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks all, I'm glad to be a part of NES!

Check out Hanson rod and gun club. I'm a member there. 24/7 indoor range, 100yd outdoor high power range, 25ft plinking range, indoor archery, and a trap range. Plus there is more plinking ranges being built now, and also there is talks of a new indoor range. Joining is also very reasonable no rediculous requirements. Also guests are allowed.

Last edited:
From Quincy?.. Well, let's see..you could easily drive to either Codman Square in Dorchester, or go to Downtown Brockton.
Both have open-air shooting galleries.. no annual fee either.

Just sayin'
But OP said recent LTC-A holder. So the annual fee for those options aren't the same as the usual "members "

From Quincy?.. Well, let's see..you could easily drive to either Codman Square in Dorchester, or go to Downtown Brockton.
Both have open-air shooting galleries.. no annual fee either.

But OP said recent LTC-A holder. So the annual fee for those options aren't the same as the usual "members "

Yup, I fear I'd need a bit more experience to hang with the normal members. Something to aspire to, I suppose.

Check out Hanson rod and gun club. I'm a member there. 24/7 indoor range, 100yd outdoor high power range, 25ft plinking range, indoor archery, and a trap range. Plus there is more plinking ranges being built now, and also there is talks of a new indoor range. Joining is also very reasonable no rediculous requirements.

I did check out Hanson before, but had a hard time finding the guest policy. I did enjoy the breakfast pictures, the library, and the indoor/outdoor ranges. I might call and ask if I can swing down this weekend to check it out. But this could be the one! Thanks conor.

I bring my girl all the time and she is not a member. I believe guests are A ok

Yup, scoped out the website again and found this:
"Members are responsible for their guests actions and cannot have more than three (3) guests at a time."

Turns out this place meets all the requirements! I'm going to get in contact with them. I appreciate the help.

Check out Hanson rod and gun club. I'm a member there. 24/7 indoor range, 100yd outdoor high power range, 25ft plinking range, indoor archery, and a trap range. Plus there is more plinking ranges being built now, and also there is talks of a new indoor range. Joining is also very reasonable no rediculous requirements. Also guests are allowed.

This is true but remember the "rule" is when you bring a guest your not supposed to shoot your supposed to observe your guest while they shoot.

Yup, I fear I'd need a bit more experience to hang with the normal members. Something to aspire to, I suppose.

I did check out Hanson before, but had a hard time finding the guest policy. I did enjoy the breakfast pictures, the library, and the indoor/outdoor ranges. I might call and ask if I can swing down this weekend to check it out. But this could be the one! Thanks conor.

Hanson is pretty laid back. Guest policy is one guest to shoot at a time while member watches over guest. I think you can have 2 or 3 guests. You can only take up the use of one bench or lane.

I think Hanson or Holbrook will be your best choices that I know of. Pembroke OCSA is another but they are in the process of a complete indoor range rehab no time line on completion but they have done a lot of work already.
I'm a member at both Hanson and pembroke for different reasons.

Last edited:
Coming from Quincy, I would think Braintree Rife/Pistol would be tough to beat. Don't discount the value of having a place close to home... especially if you're looking to throw some lead after work. Minimal hassle getting there means you'll use it more.

Coming from Quincy, I would think Braintree Rife/Pistol would be tough to beat. Don't discount the value of having a place close to home... especially if you're looking to throw some lead after work. Minimal hassle getting there means you'll use it more.
I thought I heard braintree requires range officers to use their outdoor range? Is that true?

I thought I heard braintree requires range officers to use their outdoor range? Is that true?

Just become a range officer...except you will have to stop shooting when others show up.
RSO present is slowly becoming more and more

This is true but remember the "rule" is when you bring a guest your not supposed to shoot your supposed to observe your guest while they shoot.

During the entire session? I thought protocol was typically one station shared between the member and guest, with the understanding you'd be alternating who shoots.

Yeah, this is the part I'm struggling with. I called to talk to them and it seems like a great club. The only downside I see is the guest policy: one guest, once a month. I will probably be doing as much shooting with my pops/girlfriend/buddy who hasn't a LTC as I will be by myself after work.

During the entire session? I thought protocol was typically one station shared between the member and guest, with the understanding you'd be alternating who shoots.
Yup one station, babysit the guest then swap out.

Yeah, this is the part I'm struggling with. I called to talk to them and it seems like a great club. The only downside I see is the guest policy: one guest, once a month. I will probably be doing as much shooting with my pops/girlfriend/buddy who hasn't a LTC as I will be by myself after work.

Braintree member here, I was told by someone I should listen to there the rule is the same guest once a month with being able to bring others(again once a month). I was also told by the same person the reason was if someone wants to come more than once a month they should join but so long as it isn't abused generally speaking it isn't a problem to bring the same person a second time, just not to be blatant about it. It was awhile ago so I don't know if folks were abusing it or not and they've had a change of heart, it really isn't an issue for me because the only person that gets at me to bring her to the range is my mother and our schedules don't jive often enough for it to be a problem. [laugh]

Yup, I fear I'd need a bit more experience to hang with the normal members. Something to aspire to, I suppose..
You're a new shooter.. one thing I can almost guarantee you're gonna find out fairly quickly is that the "fear"/intimidation/nervousness of being the "new guy (or gal)" at the range is unwarranted fear.
Most likely, the folks (or, as you put it, the "normal members") that you're gonna meet randomly at the ranges will literally be some of the more helpful, patient, understanding, cool people you've ever met. They ("we") want you to do well, want you to learn the correct things, want you to be safe, and want you to pass your newfound knowledge along to other new (or non) shooters.

Some of my best friends were ones I've met at random at ranges and shooting events. And you'd be (pleasantly, probably) surprised at how many NESers will help you in your journey as you seek to become more experienced in firearm knowledge. When I first started shooting I knew very little, but the "strangers" at the range(s) were absolutely phenomenal in showing me the ropes.
"Excuse me, could I just ask you a quick question?"... Very few (actually friggin zero, in my own experience) folks at any range anywhere would reply "Nah, I'm busy" when you approach em, trust me. And don't be intimidated by some of the sarcasm/gruffness/etc of the folks here at NES. The most sarcastic are usually the most helpful.

If you're still even a little shy about clubs/ranges/etc in your area I'm sure there's someone here who lives relatively nearby that'll offer to help you out. I work downtown Boston and live just north, just off the intersections of routes 1/128/95/129 and am minutes from 93 so if you ever wanna take a ride up this way don't hesitate to pm/ask.. and if I'm not around I know many folks who would be, and ALL of them will most likely be willing to help a "newbie" out.

There's a "karma" section here on NES and it transcends into life itself. We were (almost) ALL in your shoes at one point. And eventually you'll be one of the "normal members" at whatever club you join.. and you'll someday think back and laugh to yourself - as you're offering to help a future new shooter who's a little nervous about being the new person at the range.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Peace.

I bring my girl all the time and she is not a member. I believe guests are A ok
It's absolutely A-ok for you to bring your girl... Guests are usually welcome at most ranges frequented by NES members.
(Just sayin')
97f6a57ab2bd84ffb1144f4fac97b7a1.jpg

Last edited:
You're a new shooter.. one thing I can almost guarantee you're gonna find out fairly quickly is that the "fear"/intimidation/nervousness of being the "new guy (or gal)" at the range is unwarranted fear.
Most likely, the folks (or, as you put it, the "normal members") that you're gonna meet randomly at the ranges will literally be some of the more helpful, patient, understanding, cool people you've ever met. They ("we") want you to do well, want you to learn the correct things, want you to be safe, and want you to pass your newfound knowledge along to other new (or non) shooters.

Some of my best friends were ones I've met at random at ranges and shooting events. And you'd be (pleasantly, probably) surprised at how many NESers will help you in your journey as you seek to become more experienced in firearm knowledge. When I first started shooting I knew very little, but the "strangers" at the range(s) were absolutely phenomenal in showing me the ropes.
"Excuse me, could I just ask you a quick question?"... Very few (actually friggin zero, in my own experience) folks at any range anywhere would reply "Nah, I'm busy" when you approach em, trust me. And don't be intimidated by some of the sarcasm/gruffness/etc of the folks here at NES. The most sarcastic are usually the most helpful.

If you're still even a little shy about clubs/ranges/etc in your area I'm sure there's someone here who lives relatively nearby that'll offer to help you out. I work downtown Boston and live just north, just off the intersections of routes 1/128/95/129 and am minutes from 93 so if you ever wanna take a ride up this way don't hesitate to pm/ask.. and if I'm not around I know many folks who would be, and ALL of them will most likely be willing to help a "newbie" out.

There's a "karma" section here on NES and it transcends into life itself. We were (almost) ALL in your shoes at one point. And eventually you'll be one of the "normal members" at whatever club you join.. and you'll someday think back and laugh to yourself - as you're offering to help a future new shooter who's a little nervous about being the new person at the range.

Thanks for the kind words, Jock.

I'm not normally very shy, just the usual nervousness that happens when you start something new. I'm brand new with firearms, shooting, gun clubs, and just need to get comfortable. You're definitely right though, and if the community at the clubs is the same as on NES, I think I'll get along just fine. Already, NES members are PMing me offering to show me around the clubs that they frequent. This is definitely encouraging, and I can't wait until I'm a point where I can start giving back as well.

If you are brand new to shooting, I can not begin to tell you how much you will benefit from taking a class or spending time with an instructor. There are some awesome instructors here on NES and a few really good facilities that offer instruction. Mass Firearms - American Firearms School and of course Sig Sauer Academy all come to mind.

Shoot often - shoot safe - have fun. Welcome to the addiction. [grin]

If you are brand new to shooting, I can not begin to tell you how much you will benefit from taking a class or spending time with an instructor. There are some awesome instructors here on NES and a few really good facilities that offer instruction. Mass Firearms - American Firearms School and of course Sig Sauer Academy all come to mind.

Shoot often - shoot safe - have fun. Welcome to the addiction. [grin]

When I bought my Sig at Cabela's, the gentlemen recommended Mass Firearms for training. A bit far away to make use of a membership, but the instruction/courses and usage of their armory sounds like a reason to visit a couple times a year. A lot of the clubs don't have memberships open again until January, but I wanted to start before then. So I scheduled personal range time with an instructor at Mass Firearms in December. Can't wait!

Welcome to the firearms community as well as NES!

I'm a member of Braintree R&P as well as a RO there, I'll try to answer your questions below and correct some prior info on guests. I'm also a member of Mansfield F&G, so I can answer questions about there as well.

Here's the BR&P Guest Policy:

http://brp.org/BRPCRules/tabid/1769/Default.aspx#Guest_Policy
XI. GUEST POLICY
1. Each member is allowed one (1) shooting guest per month. Exceptions can be made with prior permission of the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board.
2. The member must directly supervise and coach the guest at all times. No exceptions!
3. No member is allowed to let more than one guest shoot at a time.
4. A member and their guest are allowed use of one (1) shooting station only.
5. Members are responsible for the actions of their guest. If the guest violates any club rule, the member will be held responsible.
6. Arrangements can be made for special groups with the chief range officer, assistant chief range officers or a member of the executive board. A member's spouse and children under the age of 18 can come anytime, with the member

The guest policy was grossly abused by some and therefore the club president is firm about enforcing this policy. Contacting the CRO in advance by Email/text and getting his permission to bring more than one guest is often possible. As noted above, spouse and your children under 18 are welcome any and all the time, no restrictions.

Yes, an RO (all of us are volunteers) must be present to use the outdoor ranges, all shifts are scheduled but sometimes life gets in the way and the RO may not be able to make it. I'm lucky, on my shift there are 3 of us and if one can't make it, there is no problem on coverage. We are also laid back as long as shooters are safe in their gun handling.

Our indoor ranges are great (15 and 8 position ranges) and 24/7/365 except when there is a match/event. HEPA filtered and allow jacketed ammo. New distances are 15', 33', 50' and 75' (75' only in the newer/larger building).

We have trap, archery, tomahawk throwing ranges as well as a 50/100 yd rifle range, 25/50 yd pistol range (which has club steel setup at ~24 yds), 27'/47' pistol range and a 50 yd plinking range (rimfire only on the plinking range). .22LR can be used on any range, otherwise rifle/shotgun only allowed on the rifle range. Other than the club steel, only paper targets are allowed at the club.

Great group of people in membership, free dinners before every meeting. Must attend an orientation meeting to join and no obligations (other than paying dues) after that.

Mansfield F&G:

No indoor range. It's planned but many years away.

3 outdoor shooting ranges: 50 yd range where you can shoot anything at any distance, practice defensive tactics, shoot from the holster, etc. just do so safely. 100 yd range where no handguns under 4" bbl are allowed. Training Range where only vetted instructors can use this range, it was built so we (yes I'm an NRA Instructor as well) won't interfere with members shooting when we are teaching a class.

Guest Rules can be found in the Standing Rules (I just noticed that our numbering is off):

3. Any Regular, Spouse or Life Member that is not on probation may bring a Guest to visit/shoot providing that:
2.1. The member brings only as many Guests as can be controlled under the Member's direct supervision.
2.2. Guests that are not part of a Member’s immediate family may visit/shoot no more than three times per membership year.
2.3. Guests that are part of a Member’s immediate family may visit/shoot without limitation as long as all other rules pertaining to Guests are followed.
2.3.1. For the purpose of this rule a Member’s immediate family consists of their father, stepfather, mother, stepmother, brother, stepbrother, sister, stepsister, spouse, son, stepson, daughter and stepdaughter.
2.4. All Guests must sign in upon arrival at the club and sign out upon leaving the club. The Guest must sign in on the sign in sheets provided by the club on a separate line from the Member that has brought them to the club. The Guest must use the word “guest” in the Member Number space to indicate they are signing in as a guest.
2.5. The hosting Member must oversee and is fully responsible for their Guests and the actions of their Guests while on club grounds.

We also have a picnic area, archery range, clubhouse, serve dinner for $5 before each members meeting. Only required to attend one or two (if no sponsor) meetings to join and no further obligations.

Great group of members, nice facilities, rules are basically have fun but be safe.

Here's the BR&P Guest Policy:

http://brp.org/BRPCRules/tabid/1769/Default.aspx#Guest_Policy

The guest policy was grossly abused by some and therefore the club president is firm about enforcing this policy. Contacting the CRO in advance by Email/text and getting his permission to bring more than one guest is often possible. As noted above, spouse and your children under 18 are welcome any and all the time, no restrictions.
I have actually been told otherwise by a RO at BRP. Not all of them there "know the rules in the book". I just ignored him since I knew the rules.

I have actually been told otherwise by a RO at BRP. Not all of them there "know the rules in the book". I just ignored him since I knew the rules.

There are less than a handful of ROs that like to make up their own rules and can be a PITA. I avoid them when I'm at the range. I will not shoot outdoors when they are on duty. It would help to have your own rule book to point out any discrepancies when they go off with their own rules. HOWEVER, both the prior CRO and current CRO has told us that when we are on duty, whatever we say goes (in other words, he'll back his people, just like he does on the job) and he'll sort it out and correct any RO after the fact if brought to his attention.

I do not like the guest policy personally and therefore won't bring guests to shoot there anymore other than under exceptional circumstances. I bring guests to Mansfield F&G and when I offer to show someone around MF&G, if they are licensed, I suggest that they bring their gear and shoot with me as well.

Just want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.

I had a 1x1 with Bruno at Mass Firearms, and I was amazed. I learned proper stance, grip, technique; I learned that I love the P320; and I learned that snap caps help me think less and act more. Now all I want to do is practice.

So now I'm ready to join a club. So far each one has it's flaws: it's too small with too high a membership count, non-adjustable distance indoor range, doesn't allow rifles, has a strict guest policy, has crazy politics, etc. Instead, I think I'm going to sign up for a Mass Firearms membership. There's no outdoor range, but I can still shoot pistols and rifles, and better yet I can shoot theirs for no additional cost to the membership. Also the variety of classes they offer and the inexpensive 1x1's will get me far in my first few months of shooting. 45 minutes away, but I'm sure I can make it there twice a week for a few months until I'm proficient.

Back
Top Bottom