NES Hockey players?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so as Im getting back into shape, I find myself for the first time in close to 20 years, wanting to get back into ice hockey. I played goalie and will likely go back to that position when the time comes. Was wondering what leagues are available in the Worcester County area - contact, non contact, whatever.

Likely going to do this after I sell my bike, so I'm trolling Craigslist and elsewhere for gear.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I play in the NESHL (neshl.com) which has numerous leagues around Boston. Unfortunately, it doesn't go out to Worcester as far as I know. You might shoot them an email though and ask about the Worcester area. You won't regret playing again, even late at night. It's a great time.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I play net 3 nights a week in bridgewater and canton. Never cared for neshl, too chippy for a beer league.

I have some old pads I am looking to get rid of if you need equipment. Most probably too small but pads (depending on your height) and gloves should be fine

I reccomend just going to your local rink talking to the office and asking if they have any pickup skates that need a goalie.

Last edited:

Aaron[MA]

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I skate in metro boston. Down to just one team this year in the NESHL.

If you're a goalie, I would imagine you could almost play as many nights a week as you want. Goalies are always in short supply in organized leagues, even more so for any pick-up hours. Speaking of pick-up or shinny hockey, check out rinks in your area, they most likely have pick-up hours at some point. Usually $5-10 for skaters, but goalies usually play for free.

I have a few goalie friends, so if it comes down to an equipment search, let me know; I can see if anyone has what you're looking for.

Whatever you do, definitely get back out there! - IIRC you're a monster size wise; must be a hell of a goalie!

Been playing since in was 7 (1981) only stopping for injuries (AC separation, ACL tear, multiple meniscal scopes and just a year ago an intercostal cartiliage tear (the worst! took me out for 10 months). I have no idea what I'll do when I cant play anymore. Will be a sad day.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
$5-$10 skates? Where are these? $15-20 are the norm from what I can see.

Aaron[MA];4355638 said:
I skate in metro boston. Down to just one team this year in the NESHL.

If you're a goalie, I would imagine you could almost play as many nights a week as you want. Goalies are always in short supply in organized leagues, even more so for any pick-up hours. Speaking of pick-up or shinny hockey, check out rinks in your area, they most likely have pick-up hours at some point. Usually $5-10 for skaters, but goalies usually play for free.

I have a few goalie friends, so if it comes down to an equipment search, let me know; I can see if anyone has what you're looking for.

Whatever you do, definitely get back out there! - IIRC you're a monster size wise; must be a hell of a goalie!

Been playing since in was 7 (1981) only stopping for injuries (AC separation, ACL tear, multiple meniscal scopes and just a year ago an intercostal cartiliage tear (the worst! took me out for 10 months). I have no idea what I'll do when I cant play anymore. Will be a sad day.

Good luck!

Aaron[MA]

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I may be off a little? I used to skate at Quincy Youth Arena for "Shinny Hockey" for $5 for 2 hours (weekdays 10:30-12:30) - can't begin to calculate how many times I ducked out of school to go skate.

Anyway, I swear I saw signs (while arriving for an neshl game) over the last couple years that it's still going on for $10.
Prob haven't played there since last year though. And I could definitely be Brian Williamsing...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Aaron[MA];4355703 said:
I may be off a little? I used to skate at Quincy Youth Arena for "Shinny Hockey" for $5 for 2 hours (weekdays 10:30-12:30) - can't begin to calculate how many times I ducked out of school to go skate.

Anyway, I swear I saw signs (while arriving for an neshl game) over the last couple years that it's still going on for $10.
Prob haven't played there since last year though. And I could definitely be Brian Williamsing...
True, quincy day rates are cheap. Probably because so few can play those hours.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acton Boxboro rink has a good senior leauge on Tuesday (advanced) and Sunday (everyone else) nights.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
mornings/nights both? anyone over 50? maybe i should watch a bit to see if i am at that level...
Lots of older guys play stinky socks it is a good "league" its somewhat competitive reffed pickup. C/d may be better for ya

Ski

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would be interested in joining up with a group who plays casual pick up who doesn't mind beginner level players in the mix
I played many years ago and would like to try and get back into it. .
Live in Shirley work in Woburn. ..i would travel.
So count me in as interested ..NES hockey jerseys[smile]

I only had 2 days on the bog this year.
20150120_153354.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

daltrey99

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mornings/nights both? anyone over 50? maybe i should watch a bit to see if i am at that level...
We play nights. We have 1 guy in his early 60's. Most of us are in our 30's to 40's. There are lower levels that are a little slower if you feel that you need that to get back into it. Andover leagues are pretty competitive. I bunch of us play year round. Some seasons we have a full squad and others we have to get a few subs from the league. Thats the beauty about Stinkysocks is, if you don't want to commit, you can buy the game and sub in at a league game. They also have complete no commitment games where everyone is just buying that particular game. We like to have groups of regulars on the team that I run. If interested, let me know.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Check out stinkysocks.net. They have non commitment leagues and all kinds of leagues everywhere. Gives you a lot of flexibility.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
I've been coaching at all levels for the past 14 years, have had my level 4 for a while, played for 21 years back in the 60's through 80's. Use to play for the Springfield Pics in 78-80. Both boys played for the Springfield Jr. Falcons for a few years and now were down here in NC and the boys play out of Bragg and that's where I'm currently coaching. I'm on the ice 2-3 times a week with the kids, its awesome!!! Great hockey here in Carolina. Today were going to Charlotte/Pineville, My older boys team U18, has their end of year tournament there, hope to come back with hardware!!!

Top Bottom