1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NES Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Moderator, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I know we have had threads here and there about golf, but I figured the regular golfers could keep posting everything golf in here.

Picked up some new irons today (Taylormade Burner 2.0) Looking forward to playing with them this season. They are replacing my Titleist DTR's that are a good 20 years old.
    [​IMG]

Also, My nieces softball league is having a fundraiser at New England Country Club in Bellingham.

Monday May 14th
    $125 per person $500 per foursome Price includes 18 holes and Dinner. There will also be a silent auction, raffles, and door prizes. Contact me if you want in.

2. jmh992003

jmh992003

You're going to love those irons. I bet you got a great deal. Can't wait to play again but sounds like snow is coming for my area.

3. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Nice sticks. I just bought my first white driver--an 8 degree R11. Looking forward to spring.

4. Moderator

$399 for 4-AP, that's a huge savings over what they wanted last year. I have a Burner driver that connects very well, and a rescue that is a real game changer. I'm really looking forward to taking these out to see how I do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

I'm itching to get the clubs out again.

6. jmh992003

jmh992003

I almost bought them last year but bought a set of titleist instead. Been seeing these on sale makes me wish I waited a year. I had an r7 limited driver I liked a lot better than my r11 which I traded for a Nike vt driver and hybrid love those two clubs.

7. Marcus in the Darkus

Marcus in the Darkus

I'm itching to get out on the course. I play 11 months a year here in Massachusetts...a friend has access to a private course in South Dartmouth. I missed my opportunity to play 12 months a few weeks ago - my buddies played on a 50-degree day in January.

Spring is coming, days are getting longer...you can feel it.

8. Moderator

So whats in your bag?

Irons :
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW,AW
    Ram Tom Watson SW
    Golden Bear Chipper (Someone gave it to me, I never really use it)

Drivers :
    Taylormade Burner Draw 460cc 10.5˚
    Taylormade Burner Rescue 3 19˚
    Cobra S9-1 460cc 9.5˚
    Cobra S9-3

Putter:
    Odyssey White Hot XG 7

Balls:
    I really am not at the level where I can see much of a difference in balls yet. I hit most of them the same except for range balls.

Shoes:
    FootJoy DryJoy

9. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5

This thread reminds me it's almost time to pull the clubs out and start hitting the driving range!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

10. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I have been learning how to golf. And I love it now [smile]

1 person likes this.
  11. jmh992003

jmh992003

My bag.
    Titleist ap1 4-AW
    Nike Vr Pro hybrid
    Cleaveland Sand Wedge
    Taylor Made Rossa Putter
    Driver NIke Vr Pro
    3 wood: Cobra sp1

12. retroLS1

retroLS1

That's funny - last year I replaced my old Titleist DTR's with a set of Burner 2.0's! Love the irons - helped me a ton. I am not a great golfer by any means, and I seemed to "peak" around July last year which made the rest of the season pretty rough. Something just flipped switch and my game was turned off.

Anywho, looking forward to getting out there and shaking off the bad swings from last season.

My bag holds:

Taylormade Burner 9.5* driver, '09 model
    Taylormade 3 wood, '08 model
    Adams Idea A4 boxer hybrid
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 4-PW & SW (55*)
    Titleist Vokey 60* wedge
    Odyssey DART blade putter

Need to get a good gap/approach wedge this season and I should be set. Just gotta figure out how to make the damn things work again!

13. el duderino

el duderino NES Member

I got a decent set for 20$ at a yardsale [laugh]

I dont play enough, and im not very good, my brother got me some lessons for my birthday so I need to find time to schedule them.

14. Coyote Hunter

Coyote Hunter

My bag
    R-7 driver 8.5 degree loft
    R-7 3wood

Mizuno irons, I had them fitted, best thing I could have done, easily took 5 strokes a round off my game

My putter is a ping.

Most importantly I have a bag I can fit 19 beers in!

15. Moderator

When I first started golf about 10 years ago, I could barley hit the ball... never mind have it go where I want it. I was so frustrated after a season and a half that I quit it all together. Last year I figured I'd give it another try and take some lessons. After just one lesson I was hitting the ball consistently and straight. I took 3 more lessons and now I enjoy going golfing with the guys. I am planning on talking another 4 to 8 lessons this season and hopefully I'll be an "OK" golfer.

16. BradM

BradM

Haven't played in years, hoping to start again soon. I'll keep an eye on the thread in the meantime.

17. bigtig50

bigtig50

I absolutely love the game! I have all the shots; the fade, the draw, the stinger, hook, slice, etc. My problem is that whenever I swing I never know which one is gonna happen!

1 person likes this.
  18. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

My bag:

Cobra Speed LD driver 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies 3 wood
    Adams Tight Lies 5 wood
    Wilson hybrid/rescue
    Cleveland VAS+ 3-SW
    Carbite putter

14 MGA handicap
    Played 4 rounds so far this year (went to Florida).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

I play Callaways, Big Bertha drivers, Odyssey Putter

Last year was my best scoring year so far low 90's, I took lessons.

My problem was getting a constant group to play and play early. It was easy before friends had wives and kids. Now a days not so much.

20. jmh992003

jmh992003

IM always looking to play. I joined a cheap course by me, 475 play as much as you want. While its not the greatest course on earth they do a lot for members, sunday tourny's every sunday etc.. A Lot of fun. I know we tried to do an NES golf outing last year, I think we need to try and do it this year and make it happen. IM thinking do it like a group buy pay in advance so that we can pre-book a course and people will have already paid.

OH and for those who care im like the worst 8.8 handicap ever, either birdy or bogey thats me!

21. claybreaker

claybreaker

I'm running a scramble this summer I did post it on here Off topic. It's on the high price a bit but to do it ($85) on a sunday and a nice track it makes the price go up. And I have a great steak lunch with it as well.

22. Dirtypacman

Yeah I will be honest and say I got overwhelmed in trying to get the group outing going but I certainly am interested in playing with some guys here if we can make it simple and easy. For me it just comes down to planning the time on the schedule so a week or two notice is best, I plan on hitting every USPSA match at Harvard and some elsewhere so a few weekends are already planned out for me.

23. claybreaker

claybreaker

Trust me you dont have to tell me about planning these things[rolleyes] This is the 4th time Im doing it for my club. I have the date set and the course so if anyone is up to it just let me know before the 2nd of july.[smile]

24. Moderator

I find my self going out with the same people most of the time, not that I have a problem with that. Either one of my childhood friends, or my brother-in-law. I am actually meeting up with both of them today and we are heading down to Golfers Warehouse in Cranston to try the latest and greatest. I'll probably pick up my tees and gloves for the year as well.

I must say I'm pretty lucky to live where I do. I have a fair amount of courses in my area. Yahoo Local pulled 35 courses within a 10 mile radius to me, and 9 within 5 miles.

Chemawa is about 4 or 5 minutes away from me. My brother in law and I usually hit that one as we can get 9 holes in under 2 hours and it only going to hit us $25 with cart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went to a bachelor party last year at Wentworth, about 7-10 minutes away, and I must say they have a nice place for the money (though the price escapes me and it's not listed.... hope it's not being increased).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly, though I only played there once last year and it's a good 45 min away, Raceway Golf Club in Thompson, CT was my favorite. For $40 Mon-Fri, you can get 18 holes, cart, and lunch. We get the burger, and I'm not talking about some sad burger you'd get from Micky D's and sit on a park bench with bird crap all over it. I'm talking about a thick, juicy, burger with all the fixings, inside a decent looking restaurant with car racing and and gold playing on multiple TV's. It's well worth the trip.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  25. bigtig50

bigtig50

Hey Dirtypacman, I don't know where you live, but I have a group that plays Windham CC every Sunday morning( 6am or so depending on season) for the last 8 or 9 years. We used to be eight, but have tailed off to 5. Let me know if you are interested either as a fill-in or making two groups again.

26. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Callaway FTIZ, but I picked up a Razr Hawk that I'm going to try out soon
    Big Bertha 4 Wood
    Acer XK irons
    Taylor Made RAC wedges
    Odyssey Putter

27. Dirtypacman

(haverhill) Hmmm that is a mighty attractive offer... When are you guys planning on starting the season off? We can take it to PM, not too bog down the thread.

28. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Just spent a week in Phoenix. Played both Troon courses, Southern Dunes, Estrella, Verrado, Quintero, etc. Weather was in the high 60s to low 70s--all the natives seemed cold though.

In my bag:
    Diver: Taylormade R9 TP, 8 degrees or R11 9 degrees (both stiff)
    3 wood: Callaway Diablo Edge 13 degrees (stiff)
    5 wood/hybrid: Taylormade Tour Burner (stiff)
    Irons: Ping I15 3-PW (S300)
    Wedges: Vokey 50, 54, 58 degrees
    Putter: Taylormade Corza Ghost
    Ball: Titelist ProV1x

MGA hcp 6.2
    Member of The Orchards (South Hadley) and Crumpin-Fox Club (Bernardston)

29. Boston_Shooter

Boston_Shooter

Can anyone recommend a place/person for lessons?

I've taken about 6-7 lessons with a couple different people. Every time I was at a lesson, I would hit the ball very well, and very consistently but it never translated onto the course or the range. I started about 4 years ago, had to take a year off, dabbled a bit again last year but my schedule and lack of anybody to play with kept me away for most of the summer.

This year I want to get a new set of clubs (sometimes it takes spending some money to get the fire burning again). I want to take some lessons early and play at least twice a month through May, June, July and August. My main goal is to beat a buddy of mine who started around the same time as me, but who stuck to it more than I did.

30. Moderator