NES Gamers Beware

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It maybe an exageration for some of you, but it statistically happens on the battlefield 2 server I admin. 4 to 5 people a week show a 20 hour day. Its a 64player server thats 40+ 24/7. Out of the 20hrs connected they idle for 1 hr max.

I didn't mean every single day. This is a ranked game and they try too pull as much points as they can, then sleep for 6-8hrs and do it all over again.

As far as the avg on the server per day its 3-6hrs per player. But BF2 has people all ages playing.

MMO's like WoW, FFXI, and EQ2 are played for long periods of time due to longer quests and raids.

Here is the 2006 results for FFXI based off 1M players:

I don't have ones for the other MMOs and dont wanna know

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL... what a lamer. FWIW, it ain't just "next gen kids" either, there have
been some boomer marriages and the like destroyed by WoW. Course, IMO,
they were probably destined to fail anyways, if the person found the game
that much more captivating than their spouse.

-Mike
Yep nowadays its all ages that fall under Online gaming. I know ppl in their 50s that play online poker at least 20-40hrs a week.

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I say I top off at around 8-12 hours a week on World of Warcraft... problem is I think about it another 6 hours a week anyhow lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullshit. Bullshit. Utter and complete bullshit. 20 hours per day in the summertime? Having been a long-time gamer, along with a number of others on this board, I can assure you that "Most kids that are gamers" do NOT have these habits.

Obviously there are the fringe cases of drastic overuse (as there will be in any "addictive" scenario), and many kids may play longer than they are "supposed to" (read longer than their parents would like them to).

Without taking away the merit and validity of the study and the OP's posting of it, making statements like the above that are gross exaggerations, are kin to the anti's statement that "Children are dying everyday due to gun violence"

Yeah, 16-17 year old "children" in gangs that is.

They probably got the idea from playing World of Warcraft for 20 hours a day. [rolleyes]
I suggest you look further into it. Alot of kids play a days worth then sleep 8hrs+ and do it again. Some MMORPGs for a single goal take 4+ hrs and not including organizing it. Also kids eat, drink etc at their computer while playing and only step away to use the bathroom.

I love how most of these "Off-topic" discussions still fall back to something gun related or the phase "You're just as bad as the Anti's" Personally I look at alot of server stats before even thinking about posting. I rarely flame but sometimes people need to step away from the computer and think for a minute.

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I suggest you look further into it. Alot of kids play a days worth then sleep 8hrs+ and do it again. Some MMORPGs for a single goal take 4+ hrs and not including organizing it. Also kids eat, drink etc at their computer while playing and only step away to use the bathroom.

I love how most of these "Off-topic" discussions still fall back to something gun related or the phase "You're just as bad as the Anti's" Personally I look at alot of server stats before even thinking about posting. I rarely flame but sometimes people need to step away from the computer and think for a minute.

Yup,

I "thought about it" allright. I actually PLAY WoW (a fair amount at that). My gripe with your gross exaggeration was that you stated that "most" gamers (kids) have these habits. This is the statement that resulted in my calling bullshit. This is also the kind of behavior that resonates the antis trademark "Let's just say it 'cause it sounds impressive/scary/powerful etc etc etc" tactic.

Yes, there's the fringe (as I mentioned in my response), but "most" people, (where most=majority) do not play at these obsessive levels, including myself and most everyone I know.

Step away from your keyboard and think about THAT.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread, I hadn't had a chance to post as I was just wrapping up my 7th consecutive 36 hour session playing World of Battlecraft 22 on the Wie server at Fooped's house.

I do like the server stats though (scary). I do agree with Fooped on the amount of gameplay amongst the people he knows, but those are not the people we are talking about.

I would imagine that if you pulled the same stats off of a WoW server and demographically adjusted them, you would find that college age, or younger, kids are playing for longer at significantly high percentages.

I base my theory about games of this nature on exactly the reasons why I loathe them. If progression means hours of inane tedium struggling at an on-line profession in order to advance so that you can occasionally go out and have a chance to fight others and have a chance, the game is officially retarded and not for anyone with a real life. Why? Because in real life most people have jobs, and mostly jobs that provide this same exact pleasure (except for the fighting part). Why on earth would one want to repeat that for fun.....? That is why kids play more, because they don't have a life and have not yet realized that they are really just training for inevitability.

Give me a game that comes with the satisfying simulated rattle of belted 5.56 in a box magazine the snap of the cover, the ker-thunk of the bolt and the surround sound chuga-chuga roar of many virtual projectiles shredding the virtual environment along with my foes.

Aahhh Bliss.

Oh yeah....and If I ever have to pay a monthly fee to play....then the game is officially dead to me.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a perfect example of a next Gen kid and a game called World of Warcraft. The kid clearly doesn't have a problem. The parents let him get the way he is and now they put their foot down.

http://www.break.com/index/mom-tells-kid-no-more-warcraft.html
[rofl]

I've seen people get like this. [rolleyes] I like playing games, even some mmorpgs. They're fun, but designed to go on forever! You can't win them, you could play forever. I wish I ran the world of warcraft company... they must be making so much money [laugh]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euros are the worst as far as hrs of gameplay. From looking at stats for all different games the top hrs played mainly come from Germany. I've played FFXI and WoW, FFXI consumes more time on getting quests, gear, etc completed. It's why I stopped playing it, it too so much of my time away from life.

I've managed Counter-Strike, BF1942, Desert Combat and other game servers and there are alot of people that play way too much. I understand you and your group aren't like that. But when you Admin/Founder game servers you see everyones ingame time. HLSW and BF2CC record all players gametimes.

As far as WoW I don't want to see server stats from that game at all. Mainly cause it would make me sick.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I actually ran into a little bit of trouble myself back in high school due to CS and staying up for 8 hours a night playing during the week...I'd even get up early just to get a few rounds in before school [rolleyes]

but then my mom stepped in and did what more mothers/fathers need to be doing across the country: PARENTING!!!

She cussed me out, unplugged the ethernet cable, and made me start playing sports at school and joining the karate school she attended/teaches at. Next thing I know, I've dropped a few pounds, my grades went up, and I was a happier person!

This country needs to stop coming up with bullshit "mental disorders" as a scapegoat for a child's inability to become a productive member of society, and we need more people to start PARENTING. [angry]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids schmids, I can easily play 8-10 hours a day if I find a game I like, and if I don't have any other responsibilities.

However, being married and having kids, that time is just never there. I'll go months without playing, but when a game strikes my fancy, I'm at the computer every night till I'm done.

Top Bottom