***NES Forum Upgrade 11/18/2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you trying to do at the bottom of a post? There are a number of shortcuts available at the bottom of the page.
I have an old, '09?, computer and was just wondering about the New Posts, Watched posts, Watched forums could be on the bottom also. Again, first world problem.
Thanks for everything, Shorty and Admin.

A couple questions, forgive me if they've already been addressed. I probably wouldn't have missed it but for my question one.

When you clicked on threads in the past it would bring you to the first unread post. It now seems to just bring me to page one and I don't see a link to go to the first unread post. Does this exist? Using an iPhone, haven't checked on a computer yet.

Anyway to change number of posts per page?

Where do I find the subscribed threads, or I guess they are called watched threads now?

I have an old, '09?, computer and was just wondering about the New Posts, Watched posts, Watched forums could be on the bottom also. Again, first world problem.
Thanks for everything, Shorty and Admin.

No worries! I appreciate constructive feedback. Not everything you listed is available at the bottom, but if you click on this button in the bottom right of the page:
upload_2017-11-19_20-20-10.png

There's a bunch of shortcuts including some of what you've listed. You can also just press the "Home" key to instantly scroll up to the top of the page.

Due to the way links are constructed in this software, that's not a user-configurable option unfortunately.

This saddens me. I switched from 10 posts per page to 40 years ago and while it took a short while to get used to it, I found it amazing and whenever I went to NES on a new PC the 10 posts per page was severely cramping my reading style until I logged in.

I see you have compromised and made it 20 posts per page (global). This is better than 10 but I miss 40 posts per page.

I wonder if you could create a group and people in that group have the global setting set to 40? Though then you would have to enable a way for people to join said group.

If there is a way to make it work please look into it. Alternatively we could just operate on a "tyranny of the majority" and see if the majority will vote for 40 posts per page LOL.

When you clicked on threads in the past it would bring you to the first unread post. It now seems to just bring me to page one and I don't see a link to go to the first unread post. Does this exist? Using an iPhone, haven't checked on a computer yet.

upload_2017-11-19_20-22-25.png

That blue dot will bring you to the first unread post.

Where do I find the subscribed threads, or I guess they are called watched threads now?
upload_2017-11-19_20-23-45.png

This will bring you to your subscribed/watched threads - by default, it will only show threads with unread posts.

Anyway to change number of posts per page?

This unfortunately is not possible with the new software.

Ah, I never scrolled lower than the advertising. That is welcomed new knowledge.
Thanks. Matt

Last edited:
@soloman02 the posts per page is a global setting which impacts the link structure of the forums, so if we change it, it breaks any outside links.

What is gained from xenforo over vbulletin other than mobile compatibility? I have heard that vbulletin was old and hard to maintain from a couple forums that have changed. I'm guessing most of the new/better things about xen are backend.

View attachment 212617

That blue dot will bring you to the first unread post.

View attachment 212618

This will bring you to your subscribed/watched threads - by default, it will only show threads with unread posts.

This unfortunately is not possible with the new software.

Thank you good sir. Interesting though the watched threads link doesn't show like in your screen shot it is instead under the drop down of the ellipsis.

Count me in the very nervous about where the site went group. Every time I clicked my phone's shortcut to NES in the web browser, I got a "we'll be back shortly" message. Finally tried clicking my username to see if my info was still there and stumbled into the new site.

Overall, glad to see it's back up. Thanks Shorty and Derek for being so responsive in this thread. Off now to see how it all works.

The new forum software is working great on my Kindle right now. Love the new look. However, with all these question marks for placeholder avatars, I'm going to start bullying all the people here who don't get one starting next Monday. The boards look amateur-hour with all the stupid question marks.

Get avatars. It matters!

@soloman02 the posts per page is a global setting which impacts the link structure of the forums, so if we change it, it breaks any outside links.

IMO, that's not a minor FLAW... Going from 40 posts per page down to 20 makes for a poorer experience.

While I can appreciate the need to go to forum software that haves things like security updates still being pushed/available. Picking one that's a degraded experience for those that use it it not good.

Sorry if I missed it but how do I toggle to "Desktop" view even on iPhone?

The URL for the forum has changed. If you are used to going directly to the old URL, you will get a "we are working on a new version". I suggest the admin change this message to include information about the new URL, or instruction people to go to www.northeastshooters.com and navigate to the new forum URL via the link.

The URL for the forum has changed. If you are used to going directly to the old URL, you will get a "we are working on a new version". I suggest the admin change this message to include information about the new URL, or instruction people to go to www.northeastshooters.com and navigate to the new forum URL via the link.

I've updated the 404 to add a link, but could someone share what bookmark they have that isn't coming up? I thought I caught all of them with redirects.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it... No idea how I missed that one. Everyone should be getting pushed here automatically now.

Last edited:
Tapatalk just released permascroll feature with no pages, then this happens here. I must say not sure how long a browser based forum only will stay popular/relevant. hope i am wrong

Seems like the folks running the forums have this figured out already. Using Tapatalk you’re not enjoying the forum the way they want you to. So by removing that tool they will make sure you get the experience they want you to have, instead of the experience you want to have.

/This response would have taken a minute less in Tapatalk.

Question: How do I change the the notification on a thread I am subscribed to? I want to keep it subscribed, but not receive emails on it anymore.

Tapatalk will not be returning, but you can enable email notifications for both posts and conversations (PMs).

You have no idea how bummed out I am about this. This is the main forum I follow and read on a daily basis but there's no way I'll use the browser.

I really dont mean to bash on you specifically because I know how difficult it is to deal with things like this.

A few users of the old Tapatalk might not like it, but the latest version is awesome and offers so many features. I follow about 10 different forums through the app and the convenience factor of not having to browse to each of those individually and login individually is a life saver.

I've been in the software industry for over 15 years and one thing I learned is to never break functionality of existing users. You really shot yourself in the foot right there. Email notifications?!

Did you at least run the numbers of the percentage of your userbase that used Tapatalk? I'd love to hear what that percentage was.

Just a shame overall. On the flip side, now ad revenue will go up with people having to open the browser

I guess i’m either on ignore or there is no answer to my question.

Edit- never mind- found the answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom