• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

***NES Forum Upgrade 11/18/2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a red circle with 4 for alerts/notifications/whatevers. When I clicked on it, it went away.

Just hover over that and it will keep you in your current page and display what notifications you have unread. If you click, it will bring you to your alerts page which will show updated threads you've subscribed to, new PMs, etc.

Where do we click to see our unread posts (used to be "settings" I think)?

I think you're just looking for the 'inbox' button in the top right? When you mean posts do you mean PMs?

Just hover over that and it will keep you in your current page and display what notifications you have unread. If you click, it will bring you to your alerts page which will show updated threads you've subscribed to, new PMs, etc.

I think you're just looking for the 'inbox' button in the top right? When you mean posts do you mean PMs?

No, it used to show when posts you've subscribed to have had activity. Don't worry, I'll dig around later to find it.

No, it used to show when posts you've subscribed to have had activity. Don't worry, I'll dig around later to find it.

Ahh, that's available via 'Watched Threads' on the top left, right below 'Forum'.

Ahh, that's available via 'Watched Threads' on the top left, right below 'Forum'.
Got it. Thanks! That, and "new threads" (or is it "new posts"?) and the search are all I used. Here's to hoping search is improved.

Got it. Thanks! That, and "new threads" (or is it "new posts"?) and the search are all I used. Here's to hoping search is improved.

The search right now should be an improvement over the old one, but I'm working on installing a new search that should be nearly identical to google in features... should be up and running later today.

2 more things I noticed. Pre-update videos don't seem to show up (ex. see JJ Parkinson Thread) while post-update ones do (ex. Malcom memorial thread). The forum doesn't seem to remember/indicate which thread's I've posted in.

The old video links should now be working - I went through and replaced them all to match the new format.

Where do you change things to be like I had them?? Such as 40 posts per page, setting newest as the first seen (page 1 not page ##). Looks like new forum software, but all the settings are far different (if there)...

Is there a way to change the display theme? The background is both too bright and has too little contrast between page elements--it all runs together for me. And I don't even have old eyes like the rest of this lot.

Also, is there a way to leave the number of pages visible next to a thread title like on the old site? Having to hover over each title to see that is kind of a pain.

Last edited:
The search engine is currently being upgraded - search is functioning right now, but you're only going to get older posts until they are brought into the index... everything should be running as expected in about an hour. Things will be a little slower during this process as well, as it's quite taxing on the database server.

They're still there if you click on a person's username as "Likes".

I'll leave it up to @Admin as to how he wants to display them.

Is the @ <insert username> a way to notify or alert a member that there's a thread they might want to read, or a post
they might want to respond to?

@LoginName Yes! It notifies the user whom you tagged with an 'Alert' that they were tagged in a post.

I didn't reply to your post specifically so that you could see how this works.

Click on your username in the upper right hand corner, click on"Your Content". That does it for me.
Not what I was talking about. My standard MO was to use the "New posts" listing to read NES, scanning for new things of interest. It helped to be able to see what threads I'd posted in before. MO adjustment will likely be needed. To be expected with new software.
Is there a way to change the display theme? The background is both too bright and has too little contrast between page elements--it all rungs together for me. And I don't even have old eyes like the right of this lot.
This. It's better than yesterday, but still hard to follow at times. Making the pale blue line between posts darker would help alot

Thanks Admin and sHORTY for doing this. Please take my comments as suggestions for improvement, not complaints.

p.s. Love the Alert feature.

This. It's better than yesterday, but still hard to follow at times.

Thanks Admin and sHORTY for doing this. Please take my comments as suggestions for improvement, not complaints.
@kevin9

I'm still trying to color match with the old forum. It's a little slow going but I will get it there.

The feedback is appreciated!

Now I'm starting to get it you pull up the forum you want, click the thread you want,click on watch and it adds it to the list like the old subscribed threads

Yes - by default, it will also automatically watch anything that you reply to.

Testing linking to Imgur and YouTube...

cJ56k8T.jpg

In the Funny Pic thread my post # 52845 with the broken link red "X". I can see the posted pic in the pop up window however it doesn't post over to the tread.

The image in question was too large - I've modified the setting, but it will take a bit for the cache to expire and for the forum to try and retrieve it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom