• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Community regional NET?

Anyone thought of or is/are currently doing a HF net from NES? I plan to upgrade my ticket this year. Would really like to get on the HF airwaves...

I know that ARfcom has one, so why not.

I don't have an HF rig yet, but it is in the plans and that would be cool.

I'd be down...that is assuming you could deal with having a lefty scumbag on the air with ya! [rofl]

We've tried it a few times in the past with marginal success. Interest was intermittent and the bands often didn't cooperate when we tried.

I think one of our problems was we weren't using NVIS. We seemed to be shooting over each other's heads. 40meters is marginal for NVIS and not many of us have 80meter capability or a 40 meter antenna that's fairly low to the ground.

Regardless, I'm IN.

Awesome! Yes, I don't really care about people's politics as long as I'm not personally attacked all the time for mine. Live and let live I say. Anyone had any success on the other bands? 6 meter maybe? Would be fun and a very good comm tool in case things get rough - disaster, power outage etc.

Our antenna got wiped out by a tree. Not sure when we will be up again. Plus I need to get out of tech level but we could probably work with that.

Do you know any lefty scumbags here?

Just askin'....

I just assumed everyone thinks I'm a lefty scumbag. [grin] I typically avoid politics on the air anyway. Love to talk about the hobby and other hobbies. Hell, I talked to a guy down on Long Island who is a gun owner. You think the shit we have to deal with here in the PRM is bad, just live in NY and you'll wish for MA laws...which is really sad.

- - - Updated - - -

I can do 80-6 on my antenna. 75m is ideal for local stuff in the evenings...40m is so-so.

Here's the long thread on the ARfcom NET. Perhaps something can be learned from it that is useful for NES?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor...SB-net-Now-Tuesday-Evening-SSB-Net/22-639821/

I have not read that thread as I don't have the hardware for HF yet nor the knowledge about what I'd be reading.

I am on that thread over there. I have been off arfcom for several years now. Too many a holes and know it alls etc. You cannot be serious about anything over there because everyone is out to destroy anyone posting for the first time etc and they people just say screw it and leave. Probably the worst thing about gunowners is the know it all a holes. Just my opinion.

I am on that thread over there. I have been off arfcom for several years now. Too many a holes and know it alls etc. You cannot be serious about anything over there because everyone is out to destroy anyone posting for the first time etc and they people just say screw it and leave. Probably the worst thing about gunowners is the know it all a holes. Just my opinion.

It's not that I recommend ARfcom, just that perhaps some good info could be gleaned from that thread.

I've been on ARfcom since 1998, both the now-dormant eList and forum. I pretty much restrict myself to the Hometown Forums, Legal (but tangle too often with one know-it-all FFL there) and restricted LE and some instructor forums. I picked up the Ham forum when I got licensed in April to see if I could learn a few things.

What you need is a 160-10 meter HF radio and an antenna will tune on 80 meters and the proper license, general or extra. I would like to try this.
If anyone is interested.

It's not that I recommend ARfcom, just that perhaps some good info could be gleaned from that thread.

I've been on ARfcom since 1998, both the now-dormant eList and forum. I pretty much restrict myself to the Hometown Forums, Legal (but tangle too often with one know-it-all FFL there) and restricted LE and some instructor forums. I picked up the Ham forum when I got licensed in April to see if I could learn a few things.
Solid copy brother

There are local New England nets that are running on 2m and 70cm (VHF & UHF). This lowers the cost of entry significantly (read: a Baofeng HT for around $50 on Amazon).

Check out the net repeaters list here - http://www.nerepeaters.com/nets.htm

We could use the MMRA net on a specified day and time that is not in use by another group.

Last edited:
I think Martlet used to be big on this and would take the lead every time it came up. I haven't seen him around much since this place went full-retard with Trump though, it's a shame because as much as I argued with him on occasion, he was a good one.

I am going to upgrade my ticket to a general this fall, so I will be in to play once I have the cash to light on fire for an HF rig.

Last edited:
While I don;t have an easy way to play HF at home anymore, both truck and field radios are ready to go.
Will be interesting if something materializes.

I suggest we invite anyone with short wave listening capability to listen in and give signal reports later. It will give us a better idea of our areas of coverage and for them build skills in SWL which will be important in a SHTF situation.

I suggest we invite anyone with short wave listening capability to listen in and give signal reports later. It will give us a better idea of our areas of coverage and for them build skills in SWL which will be important in a SHTF situation.

100%

Got to get my 10m to 160M antenna re-strung (tree strike), and install a 272' end fed that I've also got waiting to go up......
Limited to 2m and 70cm at the moment.

That actually is a stellar idea. perhaps we can list a few examples of SW radios to buy as well.

That actually is a stellar idea. perhaps we can list a few examples of SW radios to buy as well.
I don't have any first hand experience with SWL (short wave listening) radio brands. So take the following with a grain of salt.

Reviews on eham.net are a good source of reviews for this sort of thing. If they agree with Amazon reviews you can probably trust the rating.

* You want SSB (single side band). 95% of the HF frequency ham chatter is SSB. There's some CW (Morse code) and very little AM in the HF frequencies.

* For SWL you really want an external antenna. So you want a radio with an External Antenna jack.
Usually external antennas are as simple as 25' or more of wire strung out a window up to a tree. If you want to get serious, go to LNRprecision.com and look for their EF-SWL antenna. You get 45' of steel core wire and an impedance matching box. The impedance matching really makes a difference.

* You want digital tuning. Tuning a cheap analog dial will drive you nuts.

I think it's still hard to go wrong with a Sony, and Tecsun seems to get mentioned a lot. I just looked for Short Wave Radios on Amazon $50 - $150 (4 stars min) and there's a lot to choose from. If I had to buy today I would get the Tecsun PL600 ($84) or maybe the PL660 ($120) since it gets the aircraft band. The come with a 25' external antenna.

Last edited:
I don't have any first hand experience with SWL (short wave listening) radio brands. So take the following with a grain of salt.

Reviews on eham.net are a good source of reviews for this sort of thing. If they agree with Amazon reviews you can probably trust the rating.

* You want SSB (single side band). 95% of the HF frequency ham chatter is SSB. There's some CW (Morse code) and very little AM in the HF frequencies.

* For SWL you really want an external antenna. So you want a radio with an External Antenna jack.
Usually external antennas are as simple as 25' or more of wire strung out a window up to a tree. If you want to get serious, go to LNRprecision.com and look for their EF-SWL antenna. You get 45' of steel core wire and an impedance matching box. The impedance matching really makes a difference.

* You want digital tuning. Tuning a cheap analog dial will drive you nuts.

I think it's still hard to go wrong with a Sony, and Tecsun seems to get mentioned a lot. I just looked for Short Wave Radios on Amazon $50 - $150 (4 stars min) and there's a lot to choose from. If I had to buy today I would get the Tecsun PL600 ($84) or maybe the PL660 ($120) since it gets the aircraft band. The come with a 25' external antenna.

I had a radio like this some time ago, no idea what happened to it, but I feel like it would be a good idea to replace it. Probably a lot better for power conservation to leave one of these tuned in to what you want to hear then a full on HF rig.

Lets give it a try. I would like to open this up to discussions on frequency suggestions, times and dates. Also a list of who will be possible participants. If you would like you can send my your information, name or call sign, or just call sign I can look you up on QRZ, frequency's, times and dates. Contact me through northeaseshooters or email you can find my info on QRZ, and I will compile a list, and a time based on your input.
N1HM

Last edited:
JDL, I was hoping someone would take the lead in this. +1 to you. I'm IN.

For frequencies, I think 75m NVIS should give us the most reliable comms, but I'm guessing a fair number of people here don't have antennas that go below 40m.

So, WHO HERE CAN/CAN'T DO 75meters?

Any evening after 6:00 is fine with me.

Here's the biggest listing of HF nets I've found so far. I think any frequency & time that doesn't step on any of them should work.

Here's a few more to avoid I don't see on that list.
7.268: Hurricane watch net
3.950: " "

7.245: ARES/RACES/Skywarn
3.943: " "

7.273: NH ARES net
3.965: CT ARES net

Back
Top Bottom