1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NES Ceiling Repair Experts - Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FPrice, Apr 23, 2019.

1. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

The attached picture shows some old water damage which I need to repair. It resulted from an ice dam several years ago when melting water under some snow/ice leaked through the seam between the room and the house. The source of that problem appears to have been corrected with new siding and 8-12" of flashing (?) installed under the siding.

Now this room was added at some point after the house was built. No records at all about when, who, or anything. It's a two story house. The roof above the room has a gentle pitch. It's about three feet above the room at the house, sloping down to meet the far wall about 12' away. The space appears to be open with two vents, one on each side.

The proposal I have is to take the tiles down, remove the furring strips, install new sheetrock, prepare the sheetrock, then prime and paint the ceiling. He detailed the process a bit more than what is above.

My question concerns why the original job included the tiles being installed on the season. Can anyone think of any structural or functional reason why the ceiling would have been tiles instead of just painted? Could it have just been cosmetic? Would the tiles have provided any additional barrier to heat being lost through the roof?

I am just trying to make sure that we are not missing something.

Thanks. IMG_0813.JPG

2. Masswhole

Masswhole NES Member

Drywall will be an upgrade.

xjma99 likes this.
  3. TLB

TLB

They did that to hide the ugly ceiling underneath, most likely. Might also have been stylish in the distant past. Little to no R value there.

4. ldi

ldi NES Member

That ^ 1/2” drywall right over
    But in reality you could attempt to staple the tiles back onto the strapping and caulking, stain killer, paint after -it’ll look not much better than now though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I still have one room in Mom's house that has that stuff, and it has been that way for as long as I can remember... and that is a long time.

6. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

There’s no Sheetrock behind those. They suck balls, they’re old and what was a cheap way to make a ceiling. We have them in a camp that grandpa built sometime in the 50s. Harder to fix than remove and rock.

7. 1776

1776 NES Member

It could be very moldy if it was wet

8. FPrice

You guys are making me feel better about this project already.

9. Tundra02

Tundra02

Like others have mentioned take them down,add or replace water damaged insulation and add a vapor barrier . then sheet rock and paint also no need to remove the 1"x furring underneath .Also there is no need to prime the ceiling before you paint . Two coats of BM,SW,PPG ceiling paint is all thats needed .

10. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I'd look for a guy who will do blueboard and skim-coat plaster rather than drywall and mud. There is no sanding, no waiting a day between coats, the whole ceiling is coated, not just the joints, and if it ever gets a little wet you're looking at touching up some paint rather than redoing the whole ceiling if it was drywall.
    I've been remodeling houses for over 30 years. Years ago I hired a plasterer for one small addition when my drywall guy was too busy. Once I saw the process and the finished product I never used drywall again.

Energizer, falcon123, xjma99 and 5 others like this.
  11. Masswhole

Masswhole NES Member

^^^ This is the best option.

12. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

Absolutely do not go over those. Definitely get rid of those. They suck. They provide a small amount of R value and some sound dampening. However it was used because it’s cheap. Also the fir strips(strapping?) you mentioned may be fine and reusable for the drywall if in proper condition. Check for their layout if there’s any mold and if they are still fastened tight to the ceiling joists. You may want to go around and run a screwup through them or reset the nails. If you are using again. And While the ceiling is open maybe time to run lights? Properly insulated? Anything you can think of before closing it up. Definitely wear a mask when doing the demo. You’re probably not going to like what comes down with that ceiling (mice). Good luck.

xjma99 likes this.
  13. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

This. Tape and mud sucks. Takes longer, inferior finish product, and actually probably cost more in the long run. Plasterers are very reasonable.

ldi, xjma99 and Sparkey like this.
  14. 1776

1776 NES Member

I did over 100 sheets with duro-bond 90 (home depot). Hardens in 90 minutes regardless of thickness. They have other cure rate selections. Mix a stainless hand tub and lay down thin coats after the seams, corners and screws are covered. I light sand with a wet bucket vacuum attachment. By the time your done with one tub, where you started is ready to go over. Multiple coats lay down the paper fibers. A light scrape as the blueboard turns all white in between coats is all that's necessary. Pay yourself $100 a sheet to hang, $100 a sheet to skim, $100 a sheet to paint.

ldi likes this.
  15. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Leave the strapping, take the cannoli.

Demo the tiles, check underside of roof for fresh water damage, fix any roof problems first.

You don’t need the gable vents.
    Spray foam insulation, or lay 6”+ unfaced fiberglass bats.
    Blue board and texture plaster.

16. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

LOOKS FINE

17. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

I'm concerned the initial problem isn't really fixed. Flashing under siding, but no roof repair that prevents the ice dam and leak in the first place?

Drywall the ceiling. Blueboard and skim plaster looks great when done well, but it's expensive.

TLB likes this.
  18. FPrice

The original problem was not from the roof over the room so much as it was the second floor roof which overlooks the room. That roof cannot be reached easily. So when we had snow that stayed for a number of melting/refreezing cycles it would create large icicles. If we kept the room roof cleared, we had no problem. It was only when the snow built up when the lower roof meets the wall that the problem occurs.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Rip it out! Replace. It'll be messy.

Years and years ago, my dad had to do some work at my grandmother's house in Rozzy. He had to remove some plaster yada yada yada. Turns out either it was mold or something else. The backside of the plaster was just all black. BLACK!!!

I knew none of this. I came home and he had washed his face but was waiting to do around his eyes until he got into the shower. I walk into the house to see Dad with two black eyes. ???? LOL

Wear glasses and a mask. Especially with (formerly) wet plaster. IIRC, mold likes the paper, but be careful.

20. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

If this addition was done pre-1980, make sure there aren't any asbestos containing glue daubs under the tiles....
    Way more common in schools and commercial buildings but you never know...
    [​IMG]

21. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

You sank my battleship! And my living room!!

Energizer likes this.
  23. Coda

Coda NES Member

Is there any plumbing or electrical that might need to get accessed under those tiles??? Just trying to figure why it was not just sheetrocked in the first place.

24. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't do it. You have the opportunity to get a new ceiling without the stupid squares.

25. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

well thanks for jinxing me, today Mom told me she wanted her tiles taken down and a new ceiling installed.

ldi likes this.
  26. ldi

ldi NES Member

If it was me, I’d take the tiles down as well as the bazillion staples LOL .
    Install sheetrock and hire an good Irish plasters:) for the nice finish.

27. FPrice

No plumbing should be up there but there is one wire going to a ceiling light fixture which I want to replace. Depending on just where they ran the original wire it should be fine.

I need to repeat one thing. There were absolutely NO RECORDS of anything being done to the house. We are kinda flying blind here, we won't know if there are any additional problems until we start tearing stuff down.

I am wondering who I could call to try to look into the empty space between the ceiling and the roof.

28. 1776

1776 NES Member

Strip it down to the beams to check the wall to roof area wood. You can then add rafter vents and insulation, and who knows...maybe a skylight or two? $10-20k+

29. ldi

ldi NES Member

Going with the cathedral ceiling prospect. I see what you did here - a wood stove is a must :)

30. FPrice

Some of youse guys have no respect for my wallet or bank account!