NES Brain trust re. Sports Afield 36 gun safe

Hello Borg Collective,

Gun safe question (and yes I know that Sports Afield (SA) is cheap Chinesium).
But I'm on a very tight budget trying to help three daughters thru college simultaneously.
Nevertheless, I've long outgrown my 24(?) gun safe (yes, I partially blame @bgoum for his Henry group buy).

MY QUESTION IS NOT WHETHER OR NOT THIS IS A CHEAP POS,,, But can I spend `$550 elsewhere and get more bang for my buck !

So,,, Sam's Club (SC) is having a one-day-sale this Sat for $100 off their model Model # SA59-36SM-D

SC's website is in some details incorrect (floor model visual confirmation) and some info is lacking entirely. But I've confirmed the following either visually or with a phone conversation with SA.

- It is 14 gauge
- It actually has 3 fixed bolts & 6 action bolts (SC's website is incorrect)
- there are no interior electronics (neither AC outlets nor USB receptacles) but has blow-out plugs above the 2" water mark.
- The door IS removable, so handling this 500+ Lb box will be a bit easier (confirmed w/ SA - ignore website comment).
- Mfg. Lifetime lockout warranty (& other warranty ) are still valid even thru SC purchase).
- Safe is most similar to SA Model "HAVEN 5930SA0H"

Sports Afield 36-Gun Fire and Waterproof Gun Safe
Item # 980202374
|
Model # SA59-36SM-D|

Sports Afield 36-Gun Fire and Waterproof Gun Safe

Product Details
About this item
  • Secure storage for up to 36 long guns, 4 handguns, papers, and other valuables
  • Electric lock, programmable with 3 to 8 digit combination and two back up access keys
  • 75-Minute/1400◦F fireproof and waterproof protection water for 7 days in 2' of standing water
  • Carpeted, convertible interior with steel reinforced top shelf
  • Fully wrapped top and side shelves, plus premium door storage

Coming Saturday, Nov 9.†
Check back for a special One Day Only event!
CURRENT PRICE: $649.98$649.98

(One Day Sale is $550)

Description
The Sports Afield 36-Gun Fire and Waterproof Gun Safe, Model SA59-36SM-D 36, provides secure storage of important documents and valuables, plus up to 36 long guns and 4 handguns. This safe provides 75 minutes of fire protection,up to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit and waterproof protection for 7 days in 2' of standing water. Our triple seal protects your contents against not only fire and water, but also smoke damage. The programmable electronic lock with Easy Touch Keypad is programmable for ease of access with a 3 to 8 digit combination.
Secure, Sturdy & Warranted
Sturdy 1½" live action locking bolts provide added security. The convertible interior includes five fully wrapped side shelves and a full-width, steel reinforced top shelf–easily adaptable for all types of valuables. A door organizer maximizes storage. Sports Afield model SA59-36SM-D is backed by the Gun Safe Industries' only real lifetime, no-hassle warranty, covering fire and theft damage, as well as the lock, paint and all interior parts for as long as you own the safe. You'll also receive free locksmith service if ever locked out and a free replacement safe if ever needed–including shipping of both your new and old safe.
Policies & plans
Specifications
  • Accommodates up to 36 long guns plus 4 handguns
  • Keep firearms safe and secure
  • Electric lock programable with 3 to 8 digit combination and 2 back-up access keys
  • Fire protection for 75 minutes up to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit–independently tested
  • Waterproof protection for 7 days in 2' of standing water–independently tested
  • Proprietary triple seal protects against not only fire and water damage, but also smoke
  • Convertible interior
  • Fully wrapped and adjustable side and top shelves
  • Secure, safe storage of important papers and valuables
  • Steel reinforced top shelf allows no-sag storage
  • Premium door organizer maximizes storage space and offers quick access
  • Fully carpeted sidewalls, shelves and barrel rests for a quality look and scratch protection
  • Heavy-gauge steel
  • Pry-resistant recess doors that swing 180 degrees for full access to interior
  • 5 1½" live action locking bolts, plus two fixed bolts

• 5-spoke handle
  • Gun Safe Industry's only real Lifetime Warranty
  • Fire, water, theft, lock, paint, parts and locksmith service for as long as you own the safe
Warranty
This product is covered by the Sam's Club Member Satisfaction Guarantee.
Manufacturer Info
For questions regarding this product, please contact 888-792-4264.
Assembled Country
China
Assembled Size
25" x 29.75" x 59"

You can get the biggest safe tractor supply sells for right around 600 bucks on Black Friday. I bought both of mine there one year apart for $600 each. Yes they are made in Mexico and they are cheap but they look secure enough to scare 99% of the crooks away.

9869CEA9-D9C0-47A7-BE7F-3CB58FEF224C.jpeg

Shop around, black Friday is coming, but no matter what if you don't lag it down someone can flop it over and pry most safes open....if you have that many guns, sell a couple and buy a GOOD safe, folks will pop on a 1000 gun without blinking an eye, but be a skin flint when it comes to housing them...... :)

Safes don't have good resale value. Check classifieds here, or craigslist often people are moving and have to sell quickly. You'll get lots more for your money.

Shop around, black Friday is coming, but no matter what if you don't lag it down someone can flop it over and pry most safes open....if you have that many guns, sell a couple and buy a GOOD safe, folks will pop on a 1000 gun without blinking an eye, but be a skin flint when it comes to housing them...... :)
That isn't the real danger. What is more concerning is how the RSCs can be quickly opened with an angle grinder.

That isn't the real danger. What is more concerning is how the RSCs can be quickly opened with an angle grinder.
This is why videos showing how tough RSCs are features banging on them with hammers and trying to pry the door open.

Depends on the gauge of the steel - some take longer than others.

14ga (the OPs suggested model) can be opened with tin snips once you cut an opening large enough to get the jaws to engage the sheet metal.

It is interesting that the specs for the Tractor Supply Cannon (Cannon 45-Minute Fire Rated 40 Gun Safe, TS5934-45-H1FEC-17 at Tractor Supply Co.) list many specs but omit the gauge of the walls.

Eastern Security Safe
23 Providence St.
Mendon, MA 01756

Check their used safes and house brand safes. Great people there.

This^
Bought a Liberty Franklin there a couple years ago. Love it.
Great experience from finding what I wanted to the professional delivery.

BJ's has this one marked down to $499.

Back
Top Bottom