NES Barbecue Thread. NES BBQ

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Yes, with a vortex. I don’t remember the temp. What temp do you shoot for? And time?
Between 375* & 425*. 45min-1hr. I spin the grate 180* & flip the wings every 10-15 mins. If they are getting too much char, I move them to the outside edge of the perimeter.
As for prep, there's a ton of different ways to go. Lately, I've been dry rubbing both sides, then basting some bbq sauce on each side, the last 5 mins.
Look at my post #3718. Are you set up like that? How low is your grate? Can you raise it?
Any more questions, just ask.

Last edited:

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rumor has it the Eagle has landed !!!
you see any faint blue smoke yet ?
no smoke yet. was supposed to have a half cord of red oak dumped off today but the guy flaked and said a driver called in sick so he's promising me tomorrow. Plan to season it on Saturday and hoping to run a couple racks of ribs on Sunday.

The thing is built like a tank though. the welds are perfect, fit/finish and build quality are outstanding. My grandkids will be cooking on this thing long after I'm gone.

DitchDigger

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
no smoke yet. was supposed to have a half cord of red oak dumped off today but the guy flaked and said a driver called in sick so he's promising me tomorrow. Plan to season it on Saturday and hoping to run a couple racks of ribs on Sunday.

The thing is built like a tank though. the welds are perfect, fit/finish and build quality are outstanding. My grandkids will be cooking on this thing long after I'm gone.
Good on you !
ur gonna have a good time with it. Stick burners rule,,,,,keep a few beers handy
I bet ur neighbors are gonna enjoy it too,,,,,,,
I ended up getting a Shirley 24x36 patio .
time frame was quicker was the only reason,,,,,winter was coming !
cooks really well, reverse flow
I put pics up on an earlier post
Smoke on !

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good on you !
ur gonna have a good time with it. Stick burners rule,,,,,keep a few beers handy
I bet ur neighbors are gonna enjoy it too,,,,,,,
I ended up getting a Shirley 24x36 patio .
time frame was quicker was the only reason,,,,,winter was coming !
cooks really well, reverse flow
I put pics up on an earlier post
Smoke on !
nice, those shirley units look phenomenal.

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welllll......here goes nothing

3 racks st louis ribs with basic rub of kosher salt black pepper onion powder garlic powder and paprika

Trying to keep her around 250

Will post final pics in about 5 hours. Wish me luck.

Attachments

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far this thing is a dream to work with. Holding steady right at 250 with almost no perceptable smoke from the stack. Only needs about an 8 inch split the width of a wine bottle every 45 mins.

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well....pretty happy here. I had a few hot spots so probably should have rotated them and think i overcooked them just a bit. Probably could have pulled them 45 mins sooner and should have wrapped them a little earlier. Would have liked more even color. But overall pretty good for a first attempt.

20201114_194613.jpg20201114_194656.jpg20201114_194705.jpg

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well....pretty happy here. I had a few hot spots so probably should have rotated them and think i overcooked them just a bit. Probably could have pulled them 45 mins sooner and should have wrapped them a little earlier. Would have liked more even color. But overall pretty good for a first attempt.
As you know all that "stuff" comes with a little time and knowing that smoker's tendencies. Looks like a great first run, here's to many more. [cheers]

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

View attachment 411396View attachment 411397View attachment 411398
Rumor out there - first few cooks, especially the very first can burn hot and uneven. Once its seasoned the creosote and flavor layers deaden the heat reflectivity and unevenness quite a bit. The more you use it the better it gets

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
Trying to decide if I put the brisket I picked up this afternoon on tonight, or just get up a little earlier tomorrow and do it then. Either way, I'm thinking I'll trim it tonight. I'm planning to only cook the flat. I'll vacuum pack and freeze the point/rest of it for cooking later. I really just want the brisket to use in a new batch of chili. If I smoke the brisket starting in the morning, I'll make chili on Tuesday.

More I think about it, the more I like starting it in the morning. It's not like I have anyone coming over to have some for dinner. :p

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
Put the brisket [flat] on at around 8:15am today. It's progressing along nicely. Running a little warmer than I usually do (about 275F) so I'm about to adjust the vents on the BGE to reduce it some. Hasn't hit the stall yet, so we will see how long it takes to complete.

At this point, I'm planning to make chili tomorrow. I'll cut up the onion tonight and keep that in the fridge. That way it will take me less time to get it started tomorrow. Since I'll need to do that either in the morning, or during lunch. Need to get the beans soaking tonight too.

Time to get the rest of what I need for the batch from the grocery store.

BTW, another good purchase from Prime Butcher in Windham, NH yesterday. The guys there bring out briskets until I find one I like enough to purchase. $5.99/# untrimmed. I do the trimming myself since I can and I want to make sure I get rid of enough of the hard fat to make it work well. Don't need a ton of drippings going into the pan and overflowing into onto the charcoal.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everyone is doing brisket. Time to get in on it
20201122_145912.jpg
Smoked corned beef. This one is part of the flat. Cherry this time but I usually do hickory for beef. I add a basic spice rub of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander and mustard. Cook, rest, chill and slice thin for sandwiches for the week

Last edited:

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I always use cherry and/or pecan and apple. I think the lump adds enough hardwood flavor, so i only throw on sweet chunks.

This time I think I’m going to try to use a mix of lumps and briquettes to see how well it regulates low temps vs only using lump.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always use cherry and/or pecan and apple. I think the lump adds enough hardwood flavor, so i only throw on sweet chunks.

This time I think I’m going to try to use a mix of lumps and briquettes to see how well it regulates low temps vs only using lump.
I find using lump for searing and grilling vs briquette for slow cooking best regulates for me

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
I had odd flavors the one time I tried briquettes for smoking. Never again. Hardwood lump is all I'll use in my BGE for everything. Reminds me, I need to get another bag, or two, this week. I'm on the reserve bag, so need to restock. I like to keep at least one unopened back on hand, in case I forget to get more and need it. ;)

For flavor woods, sugar maple and black cherry is what I use for everything. I'm probably going to place another order either this week or next from Maine Grilling Woods. Order it early enough in the morning, it ships out that day, and I get it the following day via UPS ground. Oh, and shipping is FREE. :)

Brisket flat I put on this morning took about 8 hour to finish. It's resting now. I got lucky and the second grocery store (Pelham Hannaford) had the crushed tomatoes I use in my chili batches. So I'll be able to make it tomorrow. Going to soak the beans overnight and then cook them starting in the morning (I'll use the 8qt Instant Pot, not as a pressure cooker though). Just need to cook them enough so they're starting to get soft. Then they go into the batch to finish cooking. Got plenty of onion and hot peppers. Not many habanero peppers since they didn't look great. I have enough dry pepper to make up for it. Plus a few different hot sauces.

This batch is getting some of my mocha porter into it. Anytime I use that in a batch, it comes out great.

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another attempt at Brisket tomorrow night. Gonna drop it at midnight on the Weber Smokey Mountain. Pictures and honest criticism to follow.

Well, from Epic Fail to Epic win.

Normally I smoke using Kingsford professional charcoal with Hickory chunks using the minion method. I had regular Kingsford charcoal which burned must faster. Temperature got down to 28 degrees Saturday night which did not help. My son did an awesome job with the seasoning, held on by a yellow mustard rub.. We put the brisket on at midnight for a smoke between 225-250 with a water pan. Temperature was constant and I went to bed at 02:00 am. Woke up at 05:30 and the fire was almost completely out. I should have wrapped it in tin foil and finished it in the oven at that time. Decided to get another round of smoke going instead. Big mistake, partially because the water had evaporated out of the pan and I wasn't aware. Woke up at 07:00 am to my temperature alarm going off with the point and flat showing 201 and 228 degrees and the smoker at 325.. Pulled it and let it rest (wrapped in tinfoil) for 4 hours till it came down to 130 degrees..

It was like shoe leather. I was cursing myself for destroying a $60.00 piece of meat while apologizing to my guests (of less than 10 people).. We went to the store and picked up Chicken wings to smoke because the Brisket was destroyed. Put the brisket in the oven wrapped in tin foil at 200 degrees hoping for a miracle. The miracle happened. Pulled it out at 4pm to feed the dogs, and it basically cut with a butter knife. It was the best I've ever had, anywhere... We don't have pictures of the final product because it was devoured by everyone (in my crowd of less than 10 😁 ) in less than 30 minutes. The dogs didn't get a piece. I posted this for those of us that don't smoke a lot of meat to never give up on the Brisket. Lucky Save!!

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we talk turkey for a minute?

I have a 12 to 14lb bird coming by fed ex tonight. I was planning to follow Franklin's recipe and run it at 325, but wondering for those of you who have smoked turkeys if a lower temp would be better, like 250 or 275.

Franklin runs at 325 for about an hour and a half, then covers in foil with a shit ton of butter caked onto it, cooks for another hour to hour and a half at 325. His bird looks great.

I'm just seeing a lot of people talking about running birds at 250 on forums and now kind of second guessing my plan.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Haven't done a turkey, but are they doing it at a higher temp to move it through the danger zone more quickly in order to avoid illness?

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can we talk turkey for a minute?

I have a 12 to 14lb bird coming by fed ex tonight. I was planning to follow Franklin's recipe and run it at 325, but wondering for those of you who have smoked turkeys if a lower temp would be better, like 250 or 275.

Franklin runs at 325 for about an hour and a half, then covers in foil with a shit ton of butter caked onto it, cooks for another hour to hour and a half at 325. His bird looks great.

I'm just seeing a lot of people talking about running birds at 250 on forums and now kind of second guessing my plan.
The skin won't be crispy at the lower temps. Do 325 or 350. The rubber skin is super disappointing. Not sure your rub but add some corn starch to be sure.
You can do it at a low and slower temp safely. I usually do that for sliced turkey breast deli style, brined first. The whole bird likes heat 325 min in my opinion
5639.jpeg
Personally I just rotisserie the thing these days at 325. Over cherry

Last edited:

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haven't done a turkey, but are they doing it at a higher temp to move it through the danger zone more quickly in order to avoid illness?
no idea. Franklin seems to do everything at a higher temp than conventional wisdom suggests. He does ribs at 275 and I've hear his briskets are done at 300 or 325 and are supposedly the best in TX. I think he gets away with the higher temps bc his pits are so huge that they have a ton of convection.

jhblaze1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The skin won't be crispy at the lower temps. Do 325 or 350. The rubber skin is super disappointing. Not sure your rub but add some corn starch to be sure.
You can do it at a low and slower temp safely. I usually do that for sliced turkey breast deli style, brined first. The whole bird likes heat 325 min in my opinion

Personally I just rotisserie the thing these days at 325. Over cherry
makes sense. I hate rubbery chewy skin. I'll stick with 325 as planned....if my turkey ever gets here.

Top Bottom