NES Barbecue Thread. NES BBQ

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
There's a (16") stainless drip pan under the turkey and on top of the stone. Part of the Ceramic Grill Store Woo ring setup. IMO, it's the best way to smoke/slow cook inside a BGE.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Get away from leftovers??? THE HELL YOU SAY! I've got 2 leftovers of gumbo and a pot pie portion left. No more sammiches. :(

Looks good, tho. I'm thinking of grabbing some short-ribs this weekend. Not sure if I'm beer-braising them or smoking them yet.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Smoked another chuck roast tonight to make into chili tomorrow. Put that onto the egg after the turkey breast section was done. I added two more chunks of flavor wood to the egg when the beef went on (not much smoke coming out of the egg when the turkey was done). Also tossed in some chips (same woods) to get more smoke flavor into the beef. Pulled that after about an hour (had cut it into ~1/2" to 3/4" thick slabs). It's in the fridge now but I'll be starting the chili in the morning.

Part of this cook will also use the new 8qt Instant Pot to cook the beans (they're soaking now). Decided to use two pounds (each) of pinto and small red beans this time. Last batch was just one pound of each. Wish I had done more in the last batch to get more volume.

I'll post up pics of all the peppers that will be going into this batch, come tomorrow. Went with a decent variety this time.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Picked up short-ribs on Friday. Going on the smoker around noon. Heavy salt, pepper, coriander and garlic powder. Maybe some cayenne for bite. Might mop with stout mixed with Worcestershire or something.

kelton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Wife wanted to go to Penzeys. So today I say let's go. She tells me that she is done with them as they sent out an impeachment sale email flyer. Anyone else get this?
I thought they were an online store, I didn't know they had B&M, but a while back they sent out an email telling me to get in touch my political representatives and demand more gun control and I was done with them

MrsStrangeNH

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife wanted to go to Penzeys. So today I say let's go. She tells me that she is done with them as they sent out an impeachment sale email flyer. Anyone else get this?
No, but I told Penzey's to f*ck off when they started that unsolicited political email crap in the run up to the last election. I always knew they were a left-leaning company. Actively pushing their activism at me went over the line. Now I get my spices from Spice and Tea Exchange which has B&M shops in the area as well as mail order, or The Spice House which is Midwest B&M-centric but does a great job vial mail order.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought they were an online store, I didn't know they had B&M, but a while back they sent out an email telling me to get in touch my political representatives and demand more gun control and I was done with them
closest one is in Arlington.. we used to swear by them.. My wife typically isn't into that "boycott" thing, but this one really ruffled her feathers..

No, but I told Penzey's to f*ck off when they started that unsolicited political email crap in the run up to the last election. I always knew they were a left-leaning company. Actively pushing their activism at me went over the line. Now I get my spices from Spice and Tea Exchange which has B&M shops in the area as well as mail order, or The Spice House which is Midwest B&M-centric but does a great job vial mail order.
she mentioned Spice House.. never heard of Spice & Tea.. will research both and pass them on to her.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
MAde ABT's yesterday. No pix as usual. Ribs for tomorrow night. Gonna hold off on the turkey legs for my wife some other time. I need to do 4 racks of ribs which will be a while and pack the smoker.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Smoked a 19.5# bird in the large BGE after xmas...
IMG_20191227_171625.jpg

Found out about the 'Mad Max' method from the BGE forums. Took one item away from that that I used... Chill the breast section down for an hour with a bag of ice before you put it on the heat. The temperature difference between the breast section and the thighs is enough that when the breast is done, so are the thighs.

Was able to smoke this bird at 225-250F for the duration (once it got up to temp) was about a 4-1/2 to 5 hour session. Pulled at 163F and it carried over to just above 165F. So, perfect. I'm going to do that every time I smoke/cook a whole bird now. I'll probably pull the whole breast sections at about 162-163 now as well (if smoking at 225-250).

Popper never popped, but no F's given there. At some point I'll just remove those before I even start cooking/smoking it.

Broke it all down the night it was smoked. Carcass (including drummets and drums) went into the freezer for soup. Liquid from the sheet pan it was resting on also went into the freezer for soup. I pulled the mid sections from both wings and plan to heat those up to have with dinner tonight. Will do that in the stove so they are a little crispy. ;)

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Poppers pop at too high a temp. Pull em.
Or just ignore them... ;)

I'm slowly getting my mother to adopt this method for turkey cooking. Last one we pulled when it hit 165F in the breast and should have pulled it sooner. Next time, I'll set the temp to 160F and tent it so that it carries over to 165F to 'finish'.

Hardest part, for her, is getting the probe in the right area with confidence. With the bird for Thanksgiving, and Xmas, I put the probe in. It's easier if that's done before the bird gets stuffing added.

I'll be looking for whole breast sections again this week to smoke for sammich meat. Just hope I can get some in the post-holiday weeks. Always an issue around this time of the year.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I don't smoke my birds, but I run to 165 in the oven. Of course, the first 3/4 of the cook is under foil with copious amounts of moisture in teh pan. I effectively STEAM the meat early. Pull it to color and then it comes out perfectly cooked and juicy.

But yeah, for smoking - probably 160 as long as the legs are done. Or disassemble those bad-boys and cook em all separate.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20200112_145121.jpg
Pork butt, cherry chunks. This is the first time I've tried this on the kettle. Easy peasy. It held 275 no prob, 1/4 chimney of lit charcoal added only twice. It was surprisingly efficient. I had a weber smokey mountain for a few years. It's a great smoker and a charcoal hog. The kettle can hold its own. I've been looking at pellet grills and other contraptions. The problem is the kettle keeps working well.

Top Bottom