NES Barbecue Thread. NES BBQ

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Forgive me brethren for I have sinned. It has been a long long time since my last confession. . . and last BBQ sin.

On Saturday, I decided to cook a single St Louis rack on the drum. I wasn't paying attention. It was an emaciated rack. The last 3 racks I've cooked were fatties. HUGE!

Ran the smoker at 275. Checked it at about the 2 hour mark. Never turned it. At 3.5 (St. Louis should take 3.5-5 hours for me normally), I open the smoker.

UH OH. The meat had pulled back about 25% off teh ends of the ribs. I turned it over. BLACK!

Only the top portion was edible. My wife and I polished off a whole rack of ribs and wanted more - and we usually only eat about 2/3 and I get a couple of lunches. I was so disappointed I was crying.

I've got a few old corn cobs I've been saving and gonna try Kim's corn-smoked chicken today. Wish me luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a leftover turkey from last year in the freezer. Do you guys think this would be OK to smoke and eat?

I know someone who has a smoker, and would give them half (if it isn't disgusting or a stomach ache).

What are the temperature/time specs?

Thanks.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I pull when the thermometer reads 165F (in the thickest part of the breast). I tented this one and don't think I will do that for the rest of the summer. It tends to carry over a bit more than I want when I do. This is what I use for getting the temperature: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWVWK77 Works well, plus I have the app on my phone so I can see what the temperature is without going anywhere. Helps when you're cooking in less than ideal weather. Basically, as long as the weather is good enough for me to get the BGE started, I can smoke on it.

As for doing something that's been in the freezer since last year. Depends on how it was frozen. If you see freezer burn on it, either trim that off (if possible) or cook it another way. Assuming the frozen turkey is not cooked yet. Best way to tell if it's going to make you sick is the sniff test. If it smells (once fully thawed), toss it out. Don't risk it (at all).

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
image.jpg

Tried the cob-smoked chicken. Needs more cobs. I only had 2. Not nearly enough flavor into the meat. I overcooked the chicken a tad as well. It went from 155 to 175 in a blink of an eye. But it was pretty good.

Picked up my pork shoulder for PP on Thursday. Need to find me some time to fish AND run the smoker that day. Busy busy busy. LOL

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great Independence Day weekend, celebrating with friends & some family from out of state.

Enjoyed some ice cold Micheladas (Modelo, Clamato juice , Worcestershire, hot sauce, lime)... fired up the BGE and smoked some Cajun style andouille and turnip greens mixed with pinto beans & hot sauce.

Baby backs, coleslaw, cornbread, tater salad. Enjoy some pics.

97C37393-9B3C-40D6-8835-123FFC5170CC.jpeg

03C36EF7-53F9-43B9-9A72-AF6FC1D96C44.jpeg

281C7349-7D2E-4FF2-B412-5D88A0C98F93.jpeg

ABF86AE4-0A67-4B84-A819-517A7451C45B.jpeg

621C37DC-A2C7-4897-BDB1-E5369D904DA0.jpeg

004BD8EF-3135-48FB-AC2C-915BFC5F25B3.jpeg

42317D39-85E7-4802-90D8-8BECB029EEED.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Good looking ribs. Did PP on the 4th. Just polished off hte leftovers. Good stuff. Did it on the drum. Looking to do ribs again this weekend. I feel cheated from my failed ones.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i need to post more pics - have been pumping out the St Louis ribs every cookout this year. mouth is watering looking at everyone's handiwork.

anyone have a good sauce recipe? Family likes Sweet Baby Rays, but I am looking to improve on it. They like the sweet, but are fine with a little heat. Amazed at how many bad sauces are on the market!

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^
I go with a spicy rub, stubs for mid cook and finish glaze (20 mins from done) with sweet baby Ray's. Seems to be a good combination of sweet and spicy (for my "wet" ribs that is)

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Depends on the Q. For ribs, gimme a double-slathering during the last 15 min of SBR. That's it.

Pulled pork - I'll take Dino Sauce. Spicy and not overly sweet.

Brisket - GET THAT CRAP AWAY FROM MY DELICIOUS MEAT!

Not ever do a drown my creations in sauce. I never understood. I mean, I should prefer it. I grew up on my mom making "BBQ Chicken" by pouring some bottled Kraft BBQ sauce onto mostly-cooked chicken leg quarters and baking an extra 5 min. You know - the type you'd get at the cafeteria anywhere circa 1980 or so. That was my mom's idea of BBQ. (Her idea of pizza was that nasty Chef Boyardee box of pizza. I can still taste that nasty sauce and my mom's overly-floured burnt crust. Yuck! Oh, and no cheese to speak of - that cost money!)

But I should PREFER something where the sauce is king. Nope. I want the smoke. I want the rub. I want the meaty goodness. Sauce gets in the way of that.

All that to say: I use so little sauce on my own that making my own would be fruitless. My wife likes the Jack Daniels stuff. Too vanilla for me. I bought her 6 bottles to keep her deep in sauce for a while. I'll not go through a whole bottle of SBR and Dino in that time. LOL

DitchDigger

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i need to post more pics - have been pumping out the St Louis ribs every cookout this year. mouth is watering looking at everyone's handiwork.

anyone have a good sauce recipe? Family likes Sweet Baby Rays, but I am looking to improve on it. They like the sweet, but are fine with a little heat. Amazed at how many bad sauces are on the market!
I have made Big Al’s KC bbq sauce a hundred times and it’s spot on and it gives you a great balance to change it to you taste
Google it up and you will find it
I like it and sometimes spice it up,,, but I like it the way it is

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Oh gosh. I "made" beans on the smoker with the pulled pork last week. I think I overdid them just a tad. Didn't watch the liquid in them for a time.

Just a large can of Bush's regular, drained (my mistake for the time of the cook). Added a healthy sumpin-sumpin of Sweet Baby Rays. Left them in a aluminum foil pan on the smoker for about 4 hours. Added SBR as needed to keep them somewhat wet.

When I pulled the pork, I added some to the beans before serving.

Should have added a touch of cayenne to the beans. They needed a bit more zing.

2 slabs of ribs ready for the smoker tomorrow. Been dying for ribs since I ruined them 3 weeks ago.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Smoked a beef roast that I cut into sections (about 1-1/2" thick) earlier today for use in a batch of chili (currently simmering on the stove). Then put the whole turkey breast section on after adding some more flavor wood to the egg. That's almost done now. Been able to keep the temps right about 250 for the entire time. :)

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No pics. They were delish.

I tried a few things that I wouldn’t do again. I slathered with mustard to hold the rub on. It didn’t.

Also saw a video where they guy foiled them with brown sugar in the wrap. Too sweet.

Overall they were tasty. I did spritz them 2-3x with some cider vinegar to keep them moist. I’m not sure it needs that either.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No pics. They were delish.

I tried a few things that I wouldn’t do again. I slathered with mustard to hold the rub on. It didn’t.

Also saw a video where they guy foiled them with brown sugar in the wrap. Too sweet.

Overall they were tasty. I did spritz them 2-3x with some cider vinegar to keep them moist. I’m not sure it needs that either.
I've learned not to add anything when wrapping. Sounds like the brown sugar recommendation came from someone with a serious sweet tooth. Same with anyone who soaks pork butts in dr pepper etc. The yellow mustard trick is something I use though (mostly for the flavor). You can just wipe with olive oil if you dont prefer the mustard. Just a thin coat of mustard works to hold the dry rub. Too much and it sort of squishes off when put on the grates. Try the mustard and dry rub 4 hours (or the previous evening) before smoking, uncovered. It should "set" a little better. Also if I decide to wrap the ribs I'll use either butcher's or parchment paper, no additives. I find it has less of a steamed effect and preserves most of the bark. Especially if you cook it for another 45-1hr after the paper comes off. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Every cook I always try to outdo my previous versions. That's half the fun

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone got a good chicken wing recipe? Just started doing wings on the gas grill a couple weeks ago, but have been buying wings from a place already marinated. But I got some plain wings from the grocery store and wanted to try grilling them and adding my own flavor. I'm generally partial to honey BBQ style flavors. Any suggestions on cooking them on a gas grill and how/when to add the flavor would be appreciated.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Not really. But I’d consider hitting them with salt and something hot then spritzing them regularly with vinegar to get the tang. I do my wings in the oven usually.

Top Bottom