NES Barbecue Thread. NES BBQ

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've been watching BBQ Pitmasters a lot lately. Yum. What's your favorite?

Beef or Pork?
Best cuts?
Best sauce?
Best region?

I'm not talking about grilling, I'm talking about low and slow smoke infused deliciousness.

Let's discuss and try and keep it civil folks. [grin]

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
How could a BBQ thread go off the rails....? haha. Nevermind. I forgot. NES

Anyhow. I am a pulled pork fan myself. I'm certainly not an expert. I just smoke pork shoulder on the grill, and then toss it into the crockpot. I let it simmer with Sweet Baby Rays, salt, pepper, a dash of ketchup, dash of liquid smoke, and some extra apple cider vinegar for a little more acidity.

Then I toss it with a simple cole slaw on bulkie rolls for my little slice of heaven.

Reactions: Lip

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I love beef but have had a few rough times of it... 2 for 5 have been winners. The others were not fit to feed my dog.

For pork I have the ribs and butts nailed down.

I am starting to play around with rubs and mixing sauces. Been very happy with the results.

If you are smoking meat I want meat, not some sauced to death by product. Rub, light or no sauce but have some on the side.

I like some heat but some sweet. I leave burning taste buds and losing the skin from the roof of my mouth to pizza.

I use a BGE.

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Beef or Pork? Yes!
Best cuts? If you cook it slow enough, they're all good.
Best sauce? The one I make.
Best region? Depends on where it is I'm cooking.

[rofl]

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Home made dry rub on pork (bone in butts, or shoulder), brisket, ribs, etc... I also do a flavor injection that I like to call "Happy Pig"... No, it's not coffee and donuts. [rofl2] Depending on what I'm doing, it could be either apple juice and rum, or rum and seasonings.

I also use wood from Maine... Sugar maple and black cherry are my favorites. Along with hardwood lump charcoal. No briquets for me.

Now that I have a solid welding surface plate (1" thick) I'll be fabricating the stand for my new BBQ/smoker. Need to cut the doors in both the hot and cold smoke chambers, and get some TIG welding done there (stainless). Might have to invite a few NESers over for it's inaugural session...

BTW, the BBQ/smoker is comprised of three decommissioned commercial beer kegs. 1/4 barrel (short pony) for the firebox. 1/2 barrel for the main cooking chamber, and 1/6 barrel for the cold smoke chamber. Beer and BBQ, doesn't get much better than that. [smile]

Last edited:

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am partial to jshooter's ribs, but he doesn't come around much anymore, so I am sure he will miss this thread.

Brin747

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Favorite meats to smoke would have to be whole chicken, Boston butt, and ribs. I use lump charcoal and maple, apple, or oak depending on the meat. I make my own dry rub and will make a BBQ sauce when the mood strikes,

The results speak for themselves...

DSCN6931.jpgDSCN7037.jpgDSCN6928.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Sir. A little blast from the recent past. Pork Tenderloin marinated in apple cider, wrapped in bacon, & slow & low cooked with an apple wood fire. EfffinYeahBaby.

Is that an offset smoker like this one

I was given an older New Braunfels offset smoker last year. It was made before they were bought by charboil (I think), it's much thicker steel then the newer charboil made ones. Any way, I'm a bit unsure of using that, I don't want to buy a bunch of meat and screw it up. What do you use for wood usually, the temp you smoke at and the length of time. Any other tips?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Beef or Pork? Both
Best cuts? Brisket, ribs, belly, butt
Best sauce? cider vinegar based(only on pulled pork)
Best region????

Beef or Pork?
Best cuts?
Best sauce?
Best region?

Here's a butt I smoked yesterday.

Dry rub and bbq sauce baked on. I didn't pull it, cooked it to just before pulling let it rest an hour then sliced it into 1" slabs(best I could anyway). Was tender and juicy.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rats, I was thinking this was this thread: **2014 NES Potluck/BBQ - Location/Date TBD**

OK, someone give me a quick and easy version of what is in a "dry rub" for ribs.

I am guessing:
salt
ground black pepper
white pepper powder
onion powder
garlic powder
paprika
a little cayenne
thyme?

Am I even close?

Last edited:

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Rats, I was thinking this was this thread: **2014 NES Potluck/BBQ - Location/Date TBD**

OK, someone give me a quick and easy version of what is in a "dry rub" for ribs.

I am guessing:
salt
ground black pepper
white pepper powder
onion powder
garlic powder
paprika
a little cayenne
thyme?

Am I even close?
I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya... [rofl2]

I've tweaked my recipe over the years. Started off more salt, but now it's more sugar. It still has some salt in it, but not nearly as much as the first batch.

Top Bottom