• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES AR15 Lower Dilemma

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
Since there is no shortage of opinions here and I need ideas, here is the dilemma and question:

I have an NES lower from the last buy. I already have an M&P15 set up for yotes with a serious scope and I have a Bushmaster M4 set up for close range SHTF with just iron sights.

I am considering setting up the NES Lower chambered in 6.8 SPC for Deer hunting, but I already have a Rem 7400 Carbine chambered in 30-06 and don't think I need another short barreled deer rifle, though the AR might be a lighter alternative on longer hunts. Also, many say it is better to use an AR10 platform for deer and I would like one to be camo if I did it.

Otherwise, I am at a loss. I don't want to sell it. I don't want to replicate for the uses I already have and I don't have time to get into competition rifle, so I have no need for that.

What would you build if you were in my position?

Maybe a 22 dedicated upper for plinking and training? Not high power I know, but cheap fun for sure. I took a spare upper/nes lower I had and built a clone of my shtf rifle, down to the fake gas tube under the handguard. I am very happy with the resuts. Mine took a little tuning but now it is running flawlessly.

Keri

I suggested the 50BMG first... Anyway, there are a number of models out there, including Bohica Arms, Tactilite, Safety Harbor, and a few others. They're all for real.

I suggested the 50BMG first... Anyway, there are a number of models out there, including Bohica Arms, Tactilite, Safety Harbor, and a few others. They're all for real.

Thanks, though his link made me actually think this was possible. I had no idea these things existed. Crazy looking device. Got to wonder about the recoil assuming this would be a lighter alternative to the purpose built .50BMG's out there.

Posting time : 0249 HRS:

Notice how he swiftly,but silently places the option..Shhhhh watch for it..

Bohica upper.

Bam!!!!! You see that ??!!!

Posting time : 1434 HRS

Then innocent Tim comes around to add his thoughts,with a link...

Then vellnueve,seeing the unjust of what just happened makes a grasp for just an ounce of respect for posting the suggestion first...

I suggested the 50BMG first...

Then bam!!!! Puts Tim right back in place behind vellnueve!!!!

Tim94gt,you just got Owned!!!!!!! Big time!!!!!

You did say it first vellnueve,and I just proved it for any doubters.Just so everyone knows,you did say it first,and I proved it!!!!!

You win 13 internets and 4 small puppies for your forethought on being the first(Again,I proved it for the doubters) to suggest the .50 cal option.

Awesome!!!!!

Mods,can we get a tack???? For this feat of awesomeness????

Last edited:
Well, now that I know what it is, the Bohica is certainly cheaper being a single shot. Found this review on the website on the recoil/muzzle break. Also might need a stronger trigger spring, but overall review was good.

Recoil
My particular setup weighs exactly 17 lbs and 19.5 lbs. with the scope and a Pachmayer Decelerator pad installed. It has been a while since I have shot a Serbu, but this setup definitely kicks more than the Serbu BFG Carbine. The felt recoil was less than the Ferret I had with the original brake, but more than the Ferret with the new brake. My Ferret was quite a bit heavier than this upper. The Serbu Carbine also weighs 17 lbs without optics installed. After four rounds I put a sissy pad between the gun and my shoulder because it was starting to get irritating. Not too painful, but at least the felt recoil of a 3” hunting load in a non semi auto shotgun.
The scope didn’t budge a bit in the Signatures. That being said, for a permanent install I would prefer using some Badger Max 50 Ultra High rings in steel to add weight and for a more secure hold on the scope tube. The “borrowed” scope already had the Burris rings on it.
The 30” barrel Far 50 with a couple of pounds of lead in the cleaning kit cavity of the stock should be a lot easier to shoot. A brake that is more like the shark brake or the Armalite would most likely tame the 24” upper down to “fun”/wimp levels of recoil. The gas blast in the face was about the same as the BFG brake, significantly less than the Armalite brake. I am guessing that the two large ports per side and the shortness of the brake, makes it not quite as efficient as the longer BFG brake with more, smaller ports. With a sissy pad I could have fired another dozen rounds without discomfort, but I would not want to fire that many with just the Decelerator pad. Overall the brake offers a good compromise between gas in the face and recoil reduction for a hunting / plinking gun, but not for a 100 round session, at least not for me.

This is an interesting option. Anybody have any experience with these uppers? Stocks?

If my Bohica is 19.5 pounds with the scope, then Vince Wilfork is 220 pounds of lean muscle. It's an ugly upper, and I don't have a range report yet, but reviews on ARFCOM have been generally positive.

Back
Top Bottom