• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nerves. LTC interview at Somerville PD today.

Why advocate against if in a situation where there is no other option?

Because in MA, "We try and discourage people from self help."...

In Massachusetts a private person may lawfully arrest someone who has in fact committed a felony. Commonwealth v. Lussier, 333 Mass. 83 , 92 (1955). The stricter requirement for a citizen's arrest -- that the person arrested be shown in fact to have committed a felony -- is designed to discourage such arrests and to prevent "the dangers of uncontrolled vigilantism and anarchistic actions." Commonwealth v. Klein, 372 Mass. 823 , 829 (1977). Cf. Commonwealth v. Mahnke, 368 Mass. 662 , 688-689 (1975), cert. denied, 425 U.S. 959 (1976). See also Rohan v. Sawin, 5 Cush. 281 , 285 (1851); Commonwealth v. Carey, 12 Cush. 246 , 251 (1853); Commonwealth v. Walden, 380 Mass. 724 , 728 n.2 (1980); Note, Arrest Without a Warrant in New England, 40 B.U.L. Rev. 58, 76 (1960). Generally, the person arrested must be convicted of a felony before the "in fact committed" element is satisfied and the arrest validated. If the citizen is in error in making the arrest, he may be liable in tort for false arrest or false imprisonment.

http://masscases.com/cases/app/11/11massappct165.html

Because in MA, "We try and discourage people from self help."...

http://masscases.com/cases/app/11/11massappct165.html

So in this case, acting as a normal human you are wrong (guilty) until proven correct (innocent). Makes a ton of sense.

Yes officer, I watched that man <insert pretty bad stuff> her, no I did nothing to stop it, because I was afraid if I performed a citizen's arrest that I would be held liable.

Thanks for sharing Dave! Like I said in another thread, my appointment is Wednesday in Somerville, it will be my first time, so reading this has calmed my nerves a little.

Don't expect a lot of action! ;)

Make sure your paperwork is squared away, money order is payable to the city of somerville, clean hands for fingerprints, and hair combed for your mug shot.

You'll probably not even talk to the capt., just Jennifer.

One thing on the app I wasn't sure about is where it asks who you're employed by, I'm assuming that you only need to fill that in if you're applying for work purposes?

I miss Dot. She handled my last couple renewals

Same here going all the way back to when Captain Daley was licensing officer. Somerville certainly has made great strides and SPD has been nothing but fair over the past decade.

Glad you had a positive experience.

Regards,
Paul

One thing on the app I wasn't sure about is where it asks who you're employed by, I'm assuming that you only need to fill that in if you're applying for work purposes?

I had filled that information out on mine, but one thing that was done was they refilled out my application via computer, printed a new copy, and had me sign it. Only material difference: the name of my employer and their address was removed.

at least judging from my own experience, Somerville is practically a green town now.

Keep us updated on what you get. My LTC came through in 3 weeks, not the 4-6 weeks they said.

Really glad to hear it went well. We are all pulling for you and know that when you are not here you are stalking Four Seasons website.[laugh]

Well I just got home from putting in my paperwork at Somerville PD and like Dave I found it to be a very easy painless experience. My appointment was for 2:30, I got there a little early and waited a few minutes and before I knew it I was done and walking out the door at about 2:40.

Yep, exactly. She even simplified some of my answers, I put All Lawful Purposes and then wrote about a paragraph to elaborate a little, when she gave me a copy of the typed out form it simply said ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES.

Same here, just checked it, says All LAWFUL PURPOSES, and my original said ALL LEGAL PURPOSES. She knows her biz. :)

Drop me a line sometime once you get yours and we can get a pint at the Independent to celebrate.

Would be nice, no? We'll see how it all washes out. Two of us started the process this week, in 3 more we should know just how green it could be.

Well, that was easy.
Went in, went over my information, filled out my money order.
Took my fingerprints, had me sign a deadly force form and sent me on my way.
"If we need anything the Captain will call. Otherwise you'll have it in 4-6 weeks, it's been going quickly lately though, so should be soon."

I'm as clean as clean can get, having just recently passed a pretty intrusive background check for work. No interview, nothing. So this might be as green an experience as you can have this close to Bos. eh?

I'm actually happily surprised by the experience.

I was as nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs, but my interview went smoothly. Got my LTC-A, it's good to live in a "green" town!

So I just got my card in the mail. Was quick - that's for sure.
Class A
Target and Hunting

So, what's the next step, sending a letter requesting clarification and non-restricted?

So I just got my card in the mail. Was quick - that's for sure.
Class A
Target and Hunting

So, what's the next step, sending a letter requesting clarification and non-restricted?

huh, that blows. Who was the licensing officer that signed the back of your card?

It's a scribble.

There's a J(scribble - maybe a crew on a sailboat.) T(and an O?! Holy... Terrel Owens!) C(scribble - a loop and then some bumpy ground.)

Where can we see a copy of this "deadly force" form?

Isn't that the document from Edie Coyle and Goose that says you can only use a .40 Caliber weapon for deadly force if it is emptied, locked and thrown at the unsub.

Sorry about your restricted license davemata. Maybe it's just because it is your first time. I don't agree with it, but some towns do that.

I think you have to make it EXPRESSLEY clear to the issuing officer that you want a LTC-A NO RESTRICTIONS. The trouble, as you've seen, is that you are so nervous (an shouldn't have to be) when you go in for your interview, you don't want to breath for feaar of them rejecting you.

But beleive me, that is the time to plainly and clearly say, "I wan't to be able to carry", to the licensing officer, and deal with the issue then and now. If you sense he will issue no restrictions, fine. If he says we only give no restrictions to prior license holders, you know you have a fight on your hands.

The question to you is.... do you fight? Or do you just keep the license and whine for 5 years hoping when you kiss his butt the next time he'll issue no restrictions.

I say fight it. Right now. Call Scrivener or some other really abrasive professional and pay the buscks to let them get you your license.

It's amazing how few people just speak up and tell the chief what they want, and are afraid to discuss the matter?? Must be just me getting old.

Last time I renenwed my licenses, the Lieutenant asked me, "did you live at #16 Yesno Street?" When I said I did, he said, "you bought that house from my Grandfather 30 years ago. That was soooo cool. I wish you all could have experiences like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom