Nephew tried to grab my gun!

I was at a family get together today and when I was hugging my nephew goodbye he tried to grab my gun! I could feel his arm keep bumping it but all of a sudden I could feel him trying to lift it out. I immediately put my strong hand over his hand on the gun and grabbed his arm with my left hand. He let go but started saying I know what that is, I know what that is!

All I said to him was "well then you should know to never do that". He is 10 years old, a Boy Scout and his father has his ltc but has yet to buy a gun. I couldn't believe he would do something like that. I went right over to his father, told him what happened and that he really needs to teach his kids about firearm safety before he even thinks about getting one.

Anyone ever have something like this happen to them?

You could have used that as a teaching moment. Take it out, unload it, and let your nephew hold it while telling him the do's and dont's. I find that quelling their curiosity helps to make it less interesting and they're less likely to try and play with it.

Welcome to the world of kids. Should have lit a Newport right there in front of the kid and the father!

I have two girls that are a lot younger than him and they know to never ever do anything like that. I just thought he would know the basics of gun safety. My father in law, his grandfather has many many guns so it's not something new and mysterious to him.

I have two girls that are a lot younger than him and they know to never ever do anything like that. I just thought he would know the basics of gun safety. My father in law, his grandfather has many many guns so it's not something new and mysterious to him.

then smack him

Open carried at Market Basket today. We're in the produce section and a lil' boy walks past with his dad holding his hand. Kid sees me, eyes go big and he says in a LOUD voice "Ooooh THAT'S A GUUUUN !".

...and he didn't try to grab my gun.

Oddly enough, nobody panicked, nobody called SWAT and no dogs were shot.

Just another day in a free state. [laugh]

kid is 10 years old and probably never fired a gun in his life. Of course he is going to be curious. take him out shooting, its about 4 years too late already.

The problem with 10-year olds is eventually they become 11.
Will this cycle never end?

Ahhh the days of past when you could of just smacked his ass.
My dad sure would have.
That said its prime time to get the kid in line. Get him to memorize the rules and bring him to the range.
Last Sunday my 6 yr old nicely reminded a man shooting a pistol...had it low ready......that his finger was on the trigger and was not ready to shoot.
The look on his face was like WTF......there's also something great about kids. And shooting. They tend to be better shots than all of us!

This is precisely the reason I have not tried to hide my guns from my two girls. I got them both involved in shooting with me and my brother-in-law. First a BB gun and then a 22. They've watched me clean my firearms and I've drilled the importance of the safety rules into their heads. At 9 and 12 they both know better and would never try to touch my CCW. I took the advice from my LTC class instructor back in 2009 to kill the curiosity factor. It appears to have worked in our house. My wife would say I've created a monster with the youngest. She'll hear me on my soapbox talking about some gun control bill being proposed or something currently being restricted and she'll say something to the effect of "stupid law!" I simply reminded my wife that she is a future voter. [smile]

I would have used it as a teaching moment but his parents get all butt hurt about stuff like that. I doubt my sister in law would let me take him to the range since her husband has had his ltc for over a year and hasn't even gone shooting yet.

I would have used it as a teaching moment but his parents get all butt hurt about stuff like that. I doubt my sister in law would let me take him to the range since her husband has had his ltc for over a year and hasn't even gone shooting yet.

Now I see your problem. Take your brother and his kid.

You could have used that as a teaching moment. Take it out, unload it, and let your nephew hold it while telling him the do's and dont's. I find that quelling their curiosity helps to make it less interesting and they're less likely to try and play with it.

It's not too late. "I know when you noticed my gun the other day you were curious. Let me show you what it is, why it is dangerous, and how to handle it safely." Get Dad involved.

As my nephews and nieces got older they all knew by observation or chatting with me that I had firearms in my home. As they were old enough, I invited them all to the range with me from time to time. I let them shoot anything I owned as many rounds as they wanted. The idea was to satisfy their curiousity. I told each of them individually that I would let them shoot anything I owned any time we could get together as long as the respected my privacy. I'd never deny they access. That seems to have to worked with all of them. They will sometimes discuss current topics in the new regarding firearms but it was never, ever something verboten to discuss nor is the hardware verboten to handle in my presence, of course. So, that's the way I would have handled the 10 year old curious scout. I'm an Eagle. I'm sure we would come to some understanding.

Rome

PS When I take them shooting, I take photos for them to have, cherish, and share with their buddies to 'show off" a bit.

R

Giving them their targets and or taking photos are the best. My 14 yo brother loves going to the range with me. He's picked up the essentials pretty quick.
Hopefully the targets he has will provide a little fear for the other kids his age not to **** with him [smile]

In relation to OP, I agree with taking the time to make it a teachable moment. Understanding and respect develop with exposure.

Open carried at Market Basket today. We're in the produce section and a lil' boy walks past with his dad holding his hand. Kid sees me, eyes go big and he says in a LOUD voice "Ooooh THAT'S A GUUUUN !".

...and he didn't try to grab my gun.

Oddly enough, nobody panicked, nobody called SWAT and no dogs were shot.

Just another day in a free state. [laugh]
Would that be a MB near the border with MA?

Back
Top Bottom