Nephew and ROTC

Was talking to my sister and she is kind of hysterical that my nephew may end up going Air Force ROTC to help pay for college and his astrophysics degree (he has over a 4.00 GPA, graduating this spring with his HS diploma AND AA degree).

Is the ROTC contract similar to a regular contract? Anything he should look to have put in writing to give to my sister to make sure he gets what he is 'promised' etc?

And yes, I'm a damn proud Uncle that my nephew is looking at serving.

I know nothing about ROTC, but good for him.. He sounds like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders..

The biggest thing I am trying to look out for is I know given what he wants to do the Air Force can REALLY help him achieve his goals (one is to work with/for NASA and possibly be an astronaut). Don't want him going in with promises and such to get an Astrophysics degree and then find out he is doing everything BUT what he has his degree in.

Good for you/him, man.

I enlisted in the Army Reserves/Infantry before I graduated from high school, went through Army ROTC w/ the intent of going "regular"...until I met my wife and then turned down the opportunity and went Nat. Guard (idiot!!!). To answer your question - if they pay for your school, you owe them...their choice. When I was in (granted, 20 years ago), it was COMPETITIVE to get a regular slot. Most ROTC grads got assigned to the Reserves. ROTC scholarship recipients are more likely to be pulled in to go regular, but it's not a given. Whatever the case, I would say he'll have a more valuable experience if he goes full time for a few years. I haven't met too many who've regretted it.

The biggest thing I am trying to look out for is I know given what he wants to do the Air Force can REALLY help him achieve his goals (one is to work with/for NASA and possibly be an astronaut). Don't want him going in with promises and such to get an Astrophysics degree and then find out he is doing everything BUT what he has his degree in.

If the Air Force is willing to pay for his education and give him a job at the end of it, I can't see how he'd be any worse off than if he paid it himself and hoped for a lucrative job in Astrophysics to be waiting for him four years from now.

He'll be assigned according to the needs of the service. That's a guarantee.

If the Air Force is willing to pay for his education and give him a job at the end of it, I can't see how he'd be any worse off than if he paid it himself and hoped for a lucrative job in Astrophysics to be waiting for him four years from now.

He'll be assigned according to the needs of the service. That's a guarantee.

theGringo is correct; the needs of the service will determine his career field. But he'll at least put in a "dream sheet" that he'll tell the AF what his preferences are.

And 4 years active duty go by quickly...

-Mike
AF Capt

theGringo is correct; the needs of the service will determine his career field. But he'll at least put in a "dream sheet" that he'll tell the AF what his preferences are.

And 4 years active duty go by quickly...

-Mike
AF Capt

Ok, wanted to make sure what was going on. I know reading for some enlisting and such and when they signed the contracts to watch out for X and make sure Y was in the contract.

I am fully aware that the needs of the service will come first, and from the way they are after him I think one of their 'needs' is what he wants to do. How many High School kids do you know that is helping out with undergraduate research that feeds directly into a graduate one (and he see's nothing big about it, even though he beat out a lot of College kids to get the slot).

Ok, wanted to make sure what was going on. I know reading for some enlisting and such and when they signed the contracts to watch out for X and make sure Y was in the contract.

I am fully aware that the needs of the service will come first, and from the way they are after him I think one of their 'needs' is what he wants to do. How many High School kids do you know that is helping out with undergraduate research that feeds directly into a graduate one (and he see's nothing big about it, even though he beat out a lot of College kids to get the slot).

I was enlisted once, too. My Army contract specified "buddy program", "MP" and "Hawaii" and they fulfilled all three. My AF contract was slightly more general. They asked for my top 5 job choices and top 5 locations. I ended up with #2 job in #4 location without being disappointed by either one.

Ah, yes, if they're seeking him out, have him make sure they bring along the scholarship money; they still have plenty of it.

Hopefully, there will be a day that your nephew will look at what he's doing and will see it the same way as others do now...what's that expression? Kids!

While I'm not an ROTC cadet, I'm coming up on my final semester at the Coast Guard Academy, and there are some similar aspects in terms of commitment and the assigment process. As a cadet, you can drop out after two years, no fault and no commitment. After that 3rd year starts, you're in for the contract. If for some reason you don't graduate, they'll either make you pay them back financially or as an enlisted man. I'm pretty sure that the Air Force is the same way.

As to officer assignments, unlike an enlisted contract, there is no way to get any guarantees put in there. He'll put in for his assignments his senior year, and it's assigned on a semi-competitive process against the other soon-to-commission 2Lts across the countries. All the AFROTC recruiter can promise is education costs and training. He won't even know what assigments are available until he's a senior. Hell, I have less than 6 months left before I pin on Ensign and I still don't know what's going to be available to me.

Negative, one's broke down, one's in reserve commision to keep the broke down one un-broke, and the third is no longer funded by us but by the National Science Foundation. So she doesn't go anywhere either.

Negative, one's broke down, one's in reserve commision to keep the broke down one un-broke, and the third is no longer funded by us but by the National Science Foundation. So she doesn't go anywhere either.

[laugh2]

There's always lighthouses with bulbs that need changing....

On a serious note, any idea what you want to do?

Was talking to my sister and she is kind of hysterical that my nephew may end up going Air Force ROTC to help pay for college and his astrophysics degree (he has over a 4.00 GPA, graduating this spring with his HS diploma AND AA degree).

Is the ROTC contract similar to a regular contract? Anything he should look to have put in writing to give to my sister to make sure he gets what he is 'promised' etc?

And yes, I'm a damn proud Uncle that my nephew is looking at serving.

IIRC he's not obligated to serve until Jr year - at least that's how it was in the 80's. You don't get full scholarship until you commit as a Jr. After Jr. year you owe a 6 year active duty and another 6 reserve (I may be wrong on that part).

I'm unaware of any guarantes as to what he'll be doing after graduation - other then serving as a 2nd Lt.

EDIT

Coastie got it in first - sorry for the dupe

IIRC he's not obligated to serve until Jr year - at least that's how it was in the 80's. You don't get full scholarship until you commit as a Jr. After Jr. year you owe a 6 year active duty and another 6 reserve (I may be wrong on that part).

I'm unaware of any guarantes as to what he'll be doing after graduation - other then serving as a 2nd Lt.

EDIT

Coastie got it in first - sorry for the dupe

Back when I was in, in '79, you could resign without obligation up to the end of the first semester, sophomore year. You took a discharge as Airman Basic. I did. Walked away from a full scholarship and a good job. Don't tell me what an ass I was. I know.

I did 4year Army National guard with My ROTC program and college followed by a 6 year stint in the US Army. I left as an Army Captain. Best experience of my life and truly helped me land a job in Corporate America. It has worked well for me.
As far as commitment, the contract should clearly state the commitment. The other post is correct that you have until junior year to make a commitment. IF however, you are taking scholarship money, I am pretty sure it is immediate. They used to have a GRFD contract.
this was guaranteed reserve force duty. The Braniacs like your nephew were usually eligible. This allowed you to get the money but not go on active duty. (if the unit was pulled to IRAQ he would have to go however) this was 25 years ago now but something to look at.
As the other post said, 4 years goes fast and the experience in invaluable. I was responsible for millions of $ of equipment and 50 soldiers. Not many peers right out of college could rival that!

[laugh2]

There's always lighthouses with bulbs that need changing....

On a serious note, any idea what you want to do?

My top choices are the east-coast big white boats. Fisheries enforcement and counter-drug operations. Norfolk VA, Portsmouth, NH, and Boston. Hoping to get out of MA and buy more toys.

Back
Top Bottom