Neill Tassel got my 2A Rights RESTORED!! First gun purchase coming soon. Recs!?

Yesterday, I had my first day at the range in over 8 YEARS.

Long story short, my lawyer gave me false information and never explained the CWOF vs guilty consequences. Neil got the case reopened, and changed from a guilty verdict, to a CWOF and dismissed time served based on ineffective assistance of counsel.

Thank you Neil and Comm2A for setting this up! This case was from 2012, and even after joining the military in 2013, I was still always a federally PP.

I will have to wait to ensure NICS is good to go, and there may be delays on this as well, but I'll be searching for a solid home defense gun for around $500.

For what its worth, I live in South Carolina.

and even after joining the military in 2013,

I will have to wait to ensure NICS is good to go, and there may be delays on this as well, but I'll be searching for a solid home defense gun for around $500.

If you're still in the military, you should be able to find any non MOS Glock at <$500. Search the LE/Blue Label stuff on Glock's page.

Talk about a LONG shot!!!

Never heard of this actually working.

Great job Niell!!!

Congrats, Salty!

Get yourself a G45. It's a 9mm Glock that has a G19 sized slide but a full size G17 grip for 17+1 of joy!

No idea where you can get an AR, though!

Not sure if it is appropriate but maybe put a rough cost so people in similar situations can get a general idea

I love a happy ending!

Thank you dearly for your Service... It is most appreciated!
~Enbloc

Just shot off a donation to Comm2a.org to celebrate for you!

Thank You for Your Support​

Comm2A is a not-for-profit charitable organization as defined under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code. Donations made to Comm2A are fully tax deductable as charitable contribution for US federal income tax purposes. All donations are greatly appreciated and will be used to support a variety of legal and educational projects.
We are unable to accept donations intended to support specific issues or cases. Decisions regarding the organization’s activities must be made without regard to donation history. We cannot provide assistance to individuals as a quid pro quo for donations.
Our Federal Tax ID is 27-2883899

Last edited:
Thanks for the praise. I'm very glad we got the right result. It took a long time but it worked out well. Thanks have to go to Comm2a which hired me to represent this client and for all it does for gun owners in the Commonwealth.

Enjoy your renewed rights!

Indeed, such a weight off my shoulders. I hope, Neill, you are able to assist many more in a similar situation. Comm2a really helped me out, and I will forever praise that group and the good it does for people.

Talk about a LONG shot!!!

Never heard of this actually working.
It helped that my original attorney submitted an affidavit stating he told me laws that were relevant to MA residents, but not those of other states. His claim, the only way to ever obtain a firearm was to be found innocent, as a CWOF would still be looked at by the local chief and will forever be a suitability concern.. Well, I was a NH resident, and a CWOF would have no legal ramification to me. It also caused employment issues. Case reopened, found to be ineffective assistance of counsel.

If you're still in the military, you should be able to find any non MOS Glock at <$500. Search the LE/Blue Label stuff on Glock's page.
Former Mil are entitled to blue label discount on Glock, Sig, S&W, etc in most states. Find mfr-authorized LE dealers and enjoy, you earned it!
Thanks for the praise. I'm very glad we got the right result. It took a long time but it worked out well. Thanks have to go to Comm2a which hired me to represent this client and for all it does for gun owners in the Commonwealth.

Enjoy your renewed rights!
Good work Neil and Comm2A. Points out the ignorance of non-2A attorneys.
It helped that my original attorney submitted an affidavit stating he told me laws that were relevant to MA residents, but not those of other states. His claim, the only way to ever obtain a firearm was to be found innocent, as a CWOF would still be looked at by the local chief and will forever be a suitability concern.. Well, I was a NH resident, and a CWOF would have no legal ramification to me. It also caused employment issues. Case reopened, found to be ineffective assistance of counsel.
See above.

Thanks for your Service and enjoy your freedom.

Long story short, my lawyer gave me false information and never explained the CWOF vs guilty consequences. Neil got the case reopened, and changed from a guilty verdict, to a CWOF and dismissed time served based on ineffective assistance of counsel.

Thank you Neil and Comm2A for setting this up! This case was from 2012, and even after joining the military in 2013, I was still always a federally PP.

What did offense did you get charged with? I was arrested in CA and charged with carrying a switchblade. Charges were dismissed at arraignment when the judge determined that my Gerber FS2 lockblade folder was definitely NOT a switchblade. Still had to answer "yes" on the MA application since I was arraigned in a court.

In this case the OP was an ideal plaintiff. In reality, he was probably too good a plaintiff. It would have been nice if the Commonwealth had put up a fight as they're containing to do in the case of Dr. Morin.

The basic idea of this challenge was to set aside the OP's conviction based upon the Supreme Court's decision in Padilla. The issue is ineffective assistance of council. The OP was not fully advised of the consequence of his conviction and might have opted for the CWOF had he been advised he would lose his rights if convicted. It helped tremendously here that the original attorney was willing to cooperate.

Because so many people in Massachusetts lose their Second Amendment rights due to misdemeanors with potential felony-type consequences (e.g. OUI), it's probable that few are ever advised that they have a fundamental right at stake when they make decisions about accepting plea or CWOF offers or going to trial.

How long of a process was it from start to finish of your appeal?
Have you applied for a CWP in SC?
Another avenue is you can still purchase from private party instead of waiting for NICS to fix itself.

Another avenue is you can still purchase from private party instead of waiting for NICS to fix itself.
We were poking around for two years. Much of that was coordinating with the other lawyer who didn't want to cooperate and some was me.

I reached out to Comm2a after when I was getting ready to leave the Military so sometime around Spring/Summer 2018.
I have no yet applied for a CWP in SC, as the case was just vacated 2 days ago.
Yea I can definitely do that. Funny, the entire time living in SC, I was never prohibited by any state law in regards to firearms, but still never touched em.

Refused Breathalyzer, charged with OUI 1st offense. Jury trial and found guilty May 2012.
I wonder what would have happened if you submitted to the breathalyzer.

NES members say that OUI 1st offense results in CWAF. As long as nobody got hurt.

Just wondering if your refusal of breathalyzer made things worse.

Back
Top Bottom