Neil deGrasse Tyson on Twitter about the recent shootings.

He's a scientist, he deals in facts. You'll note that he in no way says he's pro or anti 2a.

He's a scientist, he deals in facts. You'll note that he in no way says he's pro or anti 2a.
He's made several anti-2A posts in the past. The interesting thing about this one is that it's statistics-based; he's getting absolutely slammed in the comments (unsurprisingly). Someone called him "problematic." I love when data is "problematic."

He's made several anti-2A posts in the past. The interesting thing about this one is that it's statistics-based; he's getting absolutely slammed in the comments (unsurprisingly). Someone called him "problematic." I love when data is "problematic."

Data is problematic when it contradicts important fixed ideas. It's some kind of Bolshevik code which makes it OK to ignore the data.

I think Tyson is wrong about the flu but that's a minor quibble. I'm more than surprised he posted this.

I have a couple twitter accounts and have been having fun with the occasional reply to those roasting him. I don't normally troll, but sometimes it is just too easy to pass up.

Yes, he basically misjudged the the extremity to which their "emotions respond more to spectacle than to data" is what happened - you can't convince a person who has gone deep into emotion that they're just being emotional. His apology is an apology about his tweet being "true but unhelpful" for many, and that as an educator he miscalculated whether it would teach them.

Lets see if "they" let him go with that or drag him all the way.

Yes, he basically misjudged the the extremity to which their "emotions respond more to spectacle than to data" is what happened - you can't convince a person who has gone deep into emotion that they're just being emotional. His apology is an apology about his tweet being "true but unhelpful" for many, and that as an educator he miscalculated whether it would teach them.

Lets see if "they" let him go with that or drag him all the way.

Well, that is an apology I could accept.

And no surprise to a comment by a "journalist(?)".
"Making a didactic if factually accurate point does not always equate to intelligent or productive discourse," journalist Andrew Baggarly responded.
Apparently facts don't matter to journalists if they're inconvenient.

I guess he forgot most of his fanbase are cringy pop science faux nerds who fly off the rails on the left wing spectrum. Any deviation even if it is not strictly pro 2A is not allowed Neil.

Back
Top Bottom