• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Neighborhood break in

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I live out in the woods on 4 acres. All the houses in this area are about the same..large lots, lots trees. All backed up to hundreds of more acres of woods. You can't see houses from the road.

Early this afternoon, the neighbor 2 houses away (abt 1/4 mile) came home to find a car in her driveway. She approached and asked the driver what he wanted. He said he was trying to find Rte 105. She told him how to get there. When she went in the house she heard a bunch of noise and saw 2 guys run out the back into the woods. The back door had been broken in and the house ransacked. I heard some stuff was missing.

For the next couple of hours, cops were everywhere trying to chase the guys thru the woods behind our house.

Dunno if they got them or not.

I was outside during yard work. My 1911 was with me all the time.

They're getting pretty brazen to do housebreaks mid day.

Good thing they didn't lock down your neighborhood and forcibly evict you from your home in order to search it for those dangerous criminals.

Like Biden might say: "Check your boat. Check your boat."

As someone who had a misspent youth, I can tell you that the stereotypical nighttime heist almost never happens. Most people work during the day, leave the door locked and the alarm on. Perfect time to pull off a quick break-and-grab. In 5 minutes, two or three guys could grab thou$and$ in merch from any-old house. Ain't easy to prosecute, either.

That sucks, the best things to do is have a barking dog or 2, and an alarm system. Beef up the doors with good deadbolts and replace the hinge and striker plate screw with 3" screws. And hope they find an easier target.

A little off topic, but some lady from Watertown, looking for her 15 minutes of fame today, was interviewed about all the goings on this week. She loudly and excitedly proclaimed that they never, ever lock their cellar door.

Wow, just wow. What some people will tell the world for a little bit of time on television...

I live out in the woods on 4 acres. All the houses in this area are about the same..large lots, lots trees. All backed up to hundreds of more acres of woods. You can't see houses from the road.

Early this afternoon, the neighbor 2 houses away (abt 1/4 mile) came home to find a car in her driveway. She approached and asked the driver what he wanted. He said he was trying to find Rte 105. She told him how to get there. When she went in the house she heard a bunch of noise and saw 2 guys run out the back into the woods. The back door had been broken in and the house ransacked. I heard some stuff was missing.

For the next couple of hours, cops were everywhere trying to chase the guys thru the woods behind our house.

Which neck of the woods do you live?

I don't see this problem getting better anytime soon. The courts don't do anything and its not like the economy is getting better for a lot of people. The rise in prescription drug abuse certainly doesn't help either.

Do what I do, I don't work and sit in a closet all day with an AR waiting for this to happen, one a' these days, Kapow, right between the eyes!

As someone who had a misspent youth, I can tell you that the stereotypical nighttime heist almost never happens. Most people work during the day, leave the door locked and the alarm on. Perfect time to pull off a quick break-and-grab. In 5 minutes, two or three guys could grab thou$and$ in merch from any-old house. Ain't easy to prosecute, either.

this x1billion

Sure enough, I no sooner closed on my house here just over 3 years ago before there were a rash of day-time break ins (scum from MA, surprised?). People work, houses are set back from the road and out of site, and there's shit of value in them.

Didn't take long for them to get busted, someone working from home held them at gun point. I work from home fairly frequently, a big ****in' dog doesn't hurt either.

Good thing they didn't lock down your neighborhood and forcibly evict you from your home in order to search it for those dangerous criminals.

Like Biden might say: "Check your boat. Check your boat."

Or as you would say, make sure your gun is in a safe at all times, filthy commie. STFU.

Well being that far out away, would anyone noticed if some of these people ended up missing one day? You know kinda like the Dixie Chicks "Goodbye Earl" song. Lots of things can happen to people running through the woods!

Charles.

A little off topic, but some lady from Watertown, looking for her 15 minutes of fame today, was interviewed about all the goings on this week. She loudly and excitedly proclaimed that they never, ever lock their cellar door.

Wow, just wow. What some people will tell the world for a little bit of time on television...

I was stunned by all the calls on the scanner about the LEO's checking unlocked doors. I was like, really? You don't lock your doors?

if you have enough land to make it belivably legal why not just set some 'danger firearms in use' signs arround? its not like they cant figure out the odds of you haveinga gun in that kind of area anyway. Does anyone make a time or motion based speaker that you can record gun shots on? someone drives down your driveway and they hear a few gun shots near the house... cant see many hanging arround after that...

if you have enough land to make it belivably legal why not just set some 'danger firearms in use' signs arround? its not like they cant figure out the odds of you haveinga gun in that kind of area anyway. Does anyone make a time or motion based speaker that you can record gun shots on? someone drives down your driveway and they hear a few gun shots near the house... cant see many hanging arround after that...

if they'll break into houses in the middle of the day all this says is "FREE GUNS INSIDE, TOO!"

they aren't just rolling up and breaking in, not all of them are that stupid. plenty will watch their target and wait for the homeowners to leave.

if they'll break into houses in the middle of the day all this says is "FREE GUNS INSIDE, TOO!"

they aren't just rolling up and breaking in, not all of them are that stupid. plenty will watch their target and wait for the homeowners to leave.

yea, but if they are watching, they probably saw what ever bumper stickers you have. Not to mention, most of the gun owners I know are fairly obvious about it, between magazines/books left out, safes in plain view, trophies/photos, all the million little things in anyones house that scream 'gun owner'...

so why not use it to your advatage and try to scare them off before they get there? maybe someone stayed home for some shooting

Best option is to make your place a less attractive target than the next house down

Crooks aren't entirely stupid, are realizing that consumer-grade cameras have very poor resolution and rarely provide real-time alerting, plus are often a sign of part-time occupancy (as people are now installing them in and around their summer homes).

They aren't planning a Fort Knox heist, just a quick smash'n'grab blitz, anything making your neighbors a more attractive target is to your benefit. So for christmas I give my neighbors a subscription to Stereophile and some of those fancy window decorations from Hammacher-Schlemmer.

Another fine lesson in what people might not expect from criminals: polite interaction intended to get/keep your guard down.

Hopefully, you encounter clumsy, stupid criminals, but you may be unlucky enough to run into one who has had more practice honing their anti-social skills.

Don't expect horns and fangs. You may be greeted with smiles and light.

Most house breaks are through an unlocked door or window. A good friend of mine is a PO and he told me 80% of the B&E they investigate show no forced entry.

I think most home break-ins happen between 10:00 and 14:00. But rather odd to see one on Saturday unless they cased it or had intel to suggest that the homeowner was away.

Surprise! My wife works at home, has a pistol within reach most of the time, and is very touchy about strangers breaking into our house.

Why bother with the sign if your shooting enough!

Back
Top Bottom