Neighbor is putting in an above ground pool.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Buy some Ducks.
This would actually cause them a ton of grief. Once the ducks find the pool you will never get them out of there and they make an ungodly mess

Isn't a fence around a pool mandatory.. You know.. "for the children".
In Mass you do not need a fence around an above ground pool as long as it has a retractable ladder. If it has a pool deck the stairs have to have a gate that meets pool code

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
You might want to put up a temporary fence on the property line before they start work. Nothing like finding a few ruts from a Bobcat when you come home some day and the Bobcat guy is long gone. If your neighbor has an issue with it, just remind him that he gave your contractors a hard time. The orange plastic construction fencing isn't expensive.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd check to if see if he pulled a permit. I think the town has to notify you if it's close to your property line. Being the ass i am I would wait until they are almost done :)
The town definitely does not have to notify you, and unless they are installing it themselves, the pool company pulled a permit.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
He has a permit so I am assuming the town will want to inspect it. But I will call anyway about the setback. I am not going to dime on him but I will call as if I am interested in installing a pool in my yard...I'll find out.
since he has a permit, you typically just stop by town hall and ask to see the file. It should have all the pertinent details. Don't call and ask for the summary, go read it for yourself. Neighbors have been known to fudge some details on these things--I know first hand.

My advice is put something on the property line now, even if it's a cheesy little fence. That way you mark your line--people don't respect the survey stakes. Then if the neighbor wants a fence he can put it on the other side of yours.

Lank

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all extremely petty....

Well, really it is because I don't want to see in his yard. A few years ago they put on an addition and used me as a resource for all their contractor woes as I used to work construction....and for some reason which has never been revealed to me they stopped talking to us. I mean if you have an issue with me man up and come and talk to me. That never happened so I am totally in the dark as far as why they stopped talking to us. Since I am half Sicilian I just opted to stop talking to him as well. In my family it is common for us to not talk to each other for years and he's not related so.....

Anyway, the addition goes deep into the back yard and his windows provide me no privacy at all in my yard. So every time we have company or we're out there they peer out their windows to see what we're doing. It's kind of creepy. So I was thinking of throwing up some arborvitae and make a nice wall with that.

But then I was working in my garage one day and they we secretly measuring out something in their yard. Not till my kid talked to their did we find out it is a pool. No big deal. Couldn't care less. But just looking at their body language when they were doing the measuring it was like they were saying eff him. Now I said I am half Sicilian so I could just be paranoid as to that part..lmao.

So When I saw the deck so close to the line it just popped in my head to block the sun from the pool with some trees. So yes, that part is me just being an a$$. But if there are no laws against it. ...
Ever watch True Romance?

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think you should install a large bird feeder with ex-lax and bird seed facing their new pool - 3 feet off your property line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suYz5SHFHyA

Same deal with a new beehive.

Also, would it hurt for you to put the compost/dogshit pile near there either?

The d-bags behind us at the Cape put up a fence on their property, then ran their driveway 3 feet over the line into our lot. (this is a 5k square foot lot for a cottage) We are still dealing with the repercussions of that. I have a survey, I may just decide my lot corner needs one of those gigantic granite markers. If it is 3 feet into 'his' driveway and his tenants can't get in, he can move HIS fence.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've met a lot of NESers over the years. Quite a few of us have dad bodies. You know what I'm talking about. Used to be athletic half a decade ago, now we have kids and middle age flab. Invite us over for beer and speedos. Every weekend. We'll sit out back in our speedos, drinking beer, smoking cigars. Your neighbor will have a fence up in 3 weeks, guaranteed.

Friday

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Pools- giant chemistry sets that are never quite right. Here's a fun one- green food coloring. he will think he has algae/low chlorine, and will keep juicing it with bleach till it dissolves skin..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is all extremely petty....

Well, really it is because I don't want to see in his yard. A few years ago they put on an addition and used me as a resource for all their contractor woes as I used to work construction....and for some reason which has never been revealed to me they stopped talking to us. I mean if you have an issue with me man up and come and talk to me. That never happened so I am totally in the dark as far as why they stopped talking to us. Since I am half Sicilian I just opted to stop talking to him as well. In my family it is common for us to not talk to each other for years and he's not related so.....

Anyway, the addition goes deep into the back yard and his windows provide me no privacy at all in my yard. So every time we have company or we're out there they peer out their windows to see what we're doing. It's kind of creepy. So I was thinking of throwing up some arborvitae and make a nice wall with that.

But then I was working in my garage one day and they we secretly measuring out something in their yard. Not till my kid talked to their did we find out it is a pool. No big deal. Couldn't care less. But just looking at their body language when they were doing the measuring it was like they were saying eff him. Now I said I am half Sicilian so I could just be paranoid as to that part..lmao.

So When I saw the deck so close to the line it just popped in my head to block the sun from the pool with some trees. So yes, that part is me just being an a$$. But if there are no laws against it. ...
Any chance you could man up and go talk with him and see what's going on? Clear the air and move along...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
stockade fence. we're doing it when the cash gets better.

So my neighbor is having an above ground pool built in his yard. He an I are not very friendly towards each other at all. In fact he is down right rude to me and my children. The wife is a witch but she will exchange pleasantries.

They were out there measuring about a week ago and they staked off where the pool will go. Seemed fairly far from the property line. Well the guys are there today and they are laying it out. It seems the deck of the pool will be fairly close to my property line.

My question is this.......

Is it legal for me to plant a hedge row that I know in 2 or 3 years will block out the afternoon sun over his deck and most of the pool? I was thinking these...

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/WillowHybrid.htm

They get 20 to 30 feet wide and 35 to 45 feet in rows. If I space them further apart they can get up to 75 feet.

Serapis

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Not sure if this was answered, but I thought they needed at least 5 ft from the property line? Are they within that?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
it goes far beyond this. There is a tree on the property line. Literally the trunk is right up to the line so no way they could have crossed the line. Some guys were painting my house. They sat under the tree to shade themselves while having lunch. He yelled at them to get off his property and then he told me my contractors had no right to his property. They were not on his property just under branches hanging in my yard. Then I was away for a weekend and he cut the branches that hung in my yard providing shade.

I keep to myself. I bother nobody. But if they bother me I will respond in kind. I feel like I should be on that reality show "property line wars"...lol

Maybe I will just sit in my yard with a camera and take pictures of his wife's fat disgusting a$$ and post them on facebook...lol
Haha, I hope it doesn't turn out like a friend of mine. His tacky neighbors put a pool in and now they are always skinny dipping. The wife is a truck.

On the other hand my in-laws have trees that block the neighbors pool from the sun. They say it causes black algae and tried to file a lawsuit to remove the trees. The trees still stand and the neighbors still suck. But they suck less knowing they have no sunlight.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this was answered, but I thought they needed at least 5 ft from the property line? Are they within that?
That is only a courtesy and not a law.

Buggin

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well I only read the first page and already see several of the "why would you do this" whawha's. He already stated the guys a dick and he's rude to his wife and children. Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the willows go, Those aren't the same as the full willow trees. I don't believe they have as an invasive root system.
But, I will say that I planted 12 of these on my property line to give me privacy from my c*** of a neighbor. The trees haven't done crap this year.
At least not like advertised. So, yeah, go with the arbitrator and bird feeders. Lots of them.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That is only a courtesy and not a law.
depending where you are and what you're building it could certainly be subject to setback requirements.

in many cities and towns once whatever you are building crosses the line of becoming a "structure" then you're subject to setbacks, etc.

Top Bottom