• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Westchester County NY handgun buying info…

I thought he was referring to the coupon needed for each purchase. Which, if I got that right, requires all of the information on the gun including serial number. So, if someone gave false information to the person who is responsible for issuing a coupon, wouldn't it be perjury?

A decenct shop will refund the money. Since it had not yet been trasferred, it has not be converted to a new gun.

You only file for a permit once, and that takes time - though NY has a speedy permit that requires them to give you a status update with 6 months of application. Subsequent acquisitions are done with an "issued on the spot" purchase coupon.

I thought he was referring to the coupon needed for each purchase. Which, if I got that right, requires all of the information on the gun including serial number. So, if someone gave false information to the person who is responsible for issuing a coupon, wouldn't it be perjury?
Only certain circumstances qualify as perjury and this is probably not one of them.

But of what use is a purchase coupon if it for the serial number of a non-existent gun?

I know for a fact that he doesn’t have a NY firearms license. He’s been saying for a couple of years that he wanted to get his license. I told him to get on it a couple of months ago when Bruen was looking like it was going to be a favorable decision so he wouldn’t be standing behind thousands of other new applicants. He didn’t listen. 😕
Sounds like he made a poor decision. My dad tried to explain the process but he had his license already, I tuned him out but it seemed pretty involved and was at least a week between purchase & picking up the gun - including a trip to the local PD.

No. All paperwork is done when picking up the handgun with the purchase coupon.

Persons without permits buy a gun and the shop holds it pending approval of the permit and issuance of the purchase coupon.
Thank you for giving me all the information I was looking for and further reason to hate New York.

Enbloc, lets open a tri-state gun store.
1/3 in NY, 1/3 in MA, 1/3 in VT.

It will have lines on the floor to distinguish the States.

All in the same building. We can transfer guns from one State to the other.

If the PoPo ever show up, we jump the line to another State and tell them to s*ck it.

Only downside is, no one lives in that area. Build it and they will come?

Here:
View attachment 636164

PS: I would love to do that between MA and NH. I think it is doable.
Lol. There's a bar somewhere in the South that half is in a Dry County, half is in a Wet County, but I don't recall the name right now...

A decenct shop will refund the money. Since it had not yet been trasferred, it has not be converted to a new gun.

You only file for a permit once, and that takes time - though NY has a speedy permit that requires them to give you a status update with 6 months of application. Subsequent acquisitions are done with an "issued on the spot" purchase coupon.
I love that the “speedy” permit means you get an update within… six months.

I knew NYS was bad. I didn’t know it was THAT bad.

This makes waaaaay more sense to me. However, the gun shop apparently took his money. Wouldn’t they have had to ask if he had a handgun license?
I'm not sure what their requirements are.

Same thing happens here in NH when I bought my suppressors.

Went to the dealer, picked out a suppressor (I think I paid in full?), then send the paperwork (with serial numbers) off the the BATFE, and waited for approval.

Once the tax stamp arrived, I took it to the dealer, and brought the suppressor home.

Manu counties upstate have been issuing unrestricted for decades (BTDT). Upstate it's mostly a county clerk thing (though the applications are sent to a judge for approval); in the Nassau/Westchester area I believe that a police agency handles licensing, and the NYPC administers the separate NYC licensing scheme.

Carry permits issued by other counties in the state aren't recognized in NYC- only the NYC permit is valid in the city.

I grew up on Long Island had rifles and shotguns, no permits then. 1970's, who knows what is the deal now. After college ended up living in New Rochelle for a period of time. Looked into the handgun permit, as described, buy gun add to application and wait, also needed letters from two people that knew you written to Judge. I knew no one, as I just moved there. I said screw it I'll wait until I move away.
Sad thing, the gun store in New Rochelle I was using at the time, the owner got killed in the store several gang bangers came up from the Bronx blew him away and robbed a bunch of guns, he didn't even have a chance to draw the gun on his hip. this was in the late 1980's early 1990's.

Your friend is correct. In Westchester County, when you submit you carry permit you are required to list the serial number of a pistol/revolver on your application. The basic steps:
take the NRA Basics of Pistol class (no live fire)
Call the pistol licensing office to schedule an appointment to submit the application (wait time could be 12 months, depending)
buy a pistol (the FFL holds it until your permit is approved)
submit application and wait until the judge approves it (another 2+ months)
What in the actually f*** !! WOW !! They are hoping you die.

Your friend is correct. In Westchester County, when you submit you carry permit you are required to list the serial number of a pistol/revolver on your application. The basic steps:
take the NRA Basics of Pistol class (no live fire)
Call the pistol licensing office to schedule an appointment to submit the application (wait time could be 12 months, depending)
buy a pistol (the FFL holds it until your permit is approved)
submit application and wait until the judge approves it (another 2+ months)
Update: The young man buying the handgun in NY just texted me. He said he got his appointment to DROP OFF his CCW permit application. His appointment date…

April 2023.

Update: The young man buying the handgun in NY just texted me. He said he got his appointment to DROP OFF his CCW permit application. His appointment date…

April 2023.
So the gun has to sit at the dealer until April 2023?

April 2023.
Have your friend call about every other week and see if anyone cancelled their appointment.

Oh his friend can buy the gun and use it until his permit is approved. Then when he gets his permit, he can buy the gun from his friend.
The serial number has to be on the application, along with the receipt. When I moved from FL to NY, I had the gun shipped to the NY FFL (the not defunct Creekside of Turnbull fame) and the county clerk's office accepted the receipt from the NY dealer stating they had my guns. If one did the "have a friend buy it an use it until your get your NY permit", he would be making a written declaration (via the original 4473 and the NY permit application of his friend) that he was not the actual buyer of the firearm and intended transferring to another person, who would no doubt be the person paying for it as well, thus meeting the definition of of a straw purchase.

Back
Top Bottom