• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need to test a .308 rifle for recoil. (arthritic shoulder)

I need to fire a round or two of .308 to see if I can manage the recoil. My shoulder and back/neck are pretty messed up, so I really need to test before I buy, ya know?

MFL rents rifles, but once one adds up the range rental, rifle rental, ammo and gas, well, it gets pricey for two shots.

If anyone is shooting at the Taunton club's outdoor range this week (or any range close by), I can provide the ammo and lunch afterwards..?

Thanks,
Scott

What kind of rifle do you have in mind? Different rifle designs recoil differently. I may have some time to meet you at Taunton on Tuesday or Wednesday.

IMO its a dumb idea to do this unless they have the same rifle as the one you want to buy. They are all a little different.

Overall I find .308 win to be dramatically less painful than running even a 12 gauge with moderate loads. Most .308s really are not that bad....

-Mike

What kind of rifle do you have in mind? Different rifle designs recoil differently. I may have some time to meet you at Taunton on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I was thinking of either a Savage Axis-SR (a bit shorter than the standard Axis) or a 10 FP-SR. Yes, I know, two very different rifles; I don't know if this will be an occasional range toy or if I really want to get into it, yet. [grin]

At this point, though, I'm open to suggestions. With all the experience on this forum, seems silly not to take advantage of it!

-Scott

IMO its a dumb idea to do this unless they have the same rifle as the one you want to buy. They are all a little different.

Not 100% relevant, sure, but dumb? They are all different, but as I don't know enough but the bare basics (light rifle = more perceived recoil than heavier) I figured a large sample base couldn't hurt the overall answer.

Most .308s really are not that bad....

Could you tell me the ones that are, so I can avoid them?

Thanks,
Scott

I have a ruger m77 .308 stainless with synthetic stock you can shoot in my back yard.. for free.. the scope took a bump so it may not be accurate but feel free to pm me..

Could you tell me the ones that are, so I can avoid them?

In general, semi-autos don't have as much recoil as bolt-actions. And the lighter the bolt action, the more the felt recoil. A 9+ lb M1A doesn't have much recoil. But I sure wouldn't want to hump it over hill and dale on a hunting trip.

My schedule just exploded, so there's unfortunately no way I can meet you in the next couple of weeks. I also don't have a .308 bolt gun, so the comparison won't be very similar.

That said, I'd still be happy to try to set something up in a couple of weeks if you want to try a .308 semi-auto.

In general, semi-autos don't have as much recoil as bolt-actions. And the lighter the bolt action, the more the felt recoil. A 9+ lb M1A doesn't have much recoil. But I sure wouldn't want to hump it over hill and dale on a hunting trip.

I saw a Scar17 at ZHA a few weeks ago..that was really light though, I wonder what that would feel like? Just skybusting, as the price was WAY out of my league!

I'll keep all that in mind, thank you.

-Scott

- - - Updated - - -

My schedule just exploded, so there's unfortunately no way I can meet you in the next couple of weeks. I also don't have a .308 bolt gun, so the comparison won't be very similar.

That said, I'd still be happy to try to set something up in a couple of weeks if you want to try a .308 semi-auto.

Sorry to hear of the detonation of your schedule; don't you just hate it when that happens?

I've been pricing the semis <gulp> , but just for the experience I'd appreciate a shout next time you're headed to the range. What kind of semi do you have?

Thanks,
Scott

I saw a Scar17 at ZHA a few weeks ago..that was really light though

Light? The SCAR H ranges from 7.7 to 8.2 lbs. But by the time people finish putting crap on it (scope, flashlight, etc.), it is probably up near 10 lbs. So that isn't light in my book. Also, it is a semi-auto, so I expect it won't have that much recoil.

I've got a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM. It is 6 lbs 3 oz without scope. I've got a compact Leupold scope on it. It has a good, soft buttpad on it. It still frickin' hurts to shoot. 20 rounds through that from a bench and I'm done. In contrast, I can put 100 rounds through my M1A no problem. YMMV.

Light? The SCAR H ranges from 7.7 to 8.2 lbs. But by the time people finish putting crap on it (scope, flashlight, etc.), it is probably up near 10 lbs. So that isn't light in my book. Also, it is a semi-auto, so I expect it won't have that much recoil.

I know it was a SCAR, is there a lighter model? It sure felt on the light side, and I know I'm not that strong. :)

What are your intended purposes for this rifle?

Do you want a semi auto or a bolt?

As others have said, a semi auto will have less felt recoil than a bolt gun. A soft but pad will help some on any gun, as will a muzzle brake. The weight of the gun itself has a huge impact on the felt recoil. Also consider shooting position when trying out a rifle. Firing standing offhand will allow your whole body to sway with the recoil, while shooting prone or from a bench will put more of the force directly into your shoulder.

I have no real science behind this but here goes.
I would not try any gun shooting off the bench. You are much better off trying them standing prone or sitting. Sitting at a bench hunched over the rifle puts very little of your mass in the way. Also the pitch of the stock can play a role in felt recoil. No matter what gun you use. The Cal of choice with bullet and powder combo is going to put x amount of energy into you.
On memory a 308 with 168 gn bullet loaded to average velocity is going to deliver 15-18 lbs of energy back to you. Slowing the energy down by heavier gun and recoil pads. More or less your still rocking your arthritic neck and shoulder pretty good.....
that being said I can shoot my garand all day in 30 06 but I'm am more than ready to stop shooting my 1903a3 after the 50 round cmp shoots. Its not much lighter either. It just delivers the recoil through the shoulder differently. I have a friend who has bad shoulders and added weight to his ruger 77 want to say about 2 lbs which helps him get about 15 20 shots off paper punching with out much discomfort...hes has decided to get a bump buster recoil reduced installed on his new savage...

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

What are your intended purposes for this rifle?

Do you want a semi auto or a bolt?

As others have said, a semi auto will have less felt recoil than a bolt gun. A soft but pad will help some on any gun, as will a muzzle brake. The weight of the gun itself has a huge impact on the felt recoil. Also consider shooting position when trying out a rifle. Firing standing offhand will allow your whole body to sway with the recoil, while shooting prone or from a bench will put more of the force directly into your shoulder.

Intended purposes: target, see if I want to get into longer range shooting, any hunting opportunities that come along..bit of everything.

Do I want a semi or a bolt? Yes. :) More an economic decision, I have no strong preference. Elegance of a bolt, firepower of a semi, it's all good.

Heavier equals less recoil, that certainly makes sense, and that rules out much offhand shooting. I was thinking prone/bench.

More knowledge to add to the mix, thank you!

-Scott

SCAR light is .223. SCAR heavy is .308. SCAR light is 1/2 to 1 lb less than SCAR heavy. They have different barrel lengths in each model -- longer barrels weigh more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR

That really says something about weight and perception. The 'cool factor' of the SCAR reduces perceived weight, much like pinstriping on cars adds speed! [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a .308 bolt gun. I do have an M1A, AR-10, and FAL if you'd like to try them.

PM sent, thank you!

Personally I would decide what you really want to do. If your looking to have some decent fun shooting long range with iron sights maybe a ar 15 in 223. I love shooting mine at reading rifle @ 600 yards. Also keep in mind when where and how often will you be able to shoot/hunt. I have a 30-06 boltgun for hunting.......ihave not been hunting inexact rifle friendly state in 18 years. This bolt Tunis not much fun target shooting. Accurate yes. Light and kicks yup. 10 rounds and no mode fun. Unless restricted a ar 10 sounds like a good target to hunting gun. Heck you could have to uppers one for each.

Could it not be made lighter? Could you build a light weight upper just for hunting?
I do believe tool for application is best. I am just thinking middle ground. Good tor both.
seems the ar type platform coulb fill that?

An AR-10, by its very nature, is bigger, longer, and heavier than an AR15. 7.62 is a longer, more powerful cartridge than 5.56. As a result, the mag well must be significantly longer. Therefore the upper and lower must be longer. Therefore the upper and lower must be heavier. Since the round is larger and more powerful, the bolt carrier must be bigger and heavier.

And if you could reduce the weight, then you increase the recoil. There just is no free lunch here.

There are intermediate cartridges made to fit the AR15 platform - e.g. 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel. But if you think 7.62 is expensive, go looking for 6.8.

And I would still rather carry my bolt rifle than my 20" AR15 - the bolt gun is a lot lighter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom