Need to shed .3 ounces.

Why not just put the original base pads back on the mags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the guide rod change out is a no go, I wouldn't go cutting up the gun slide or the frame. As others have mentioned, try different scales, if possible, or take something that is an known accurate weight to test on your scale.

OTOH, the Dawson EZ-Off base plates that you are using weigh just about an ounce or a hair under. If the scale tests don't work out, have a gun smith or machinist add more groves to the Al base plate to remove some weight, or do it yourself if you have the right tools.

lg007-016.jpg

The easiest fix for this is to just throw the factory guide rod back in. As a guy who builds and customizes (and competes in USPSA with) Glocks for a living, I promise you are not getting as much performance increase as you think from a heavy steel guide rod.

Did you try a different scale yet?

Are the 10 round Glock mags any heavier than standard mags?

They might be. They have more metal to form the vertical groves that limit the internal width of the magazine.

No different scale yet.

I checked my scale with known weights. 4 oz, 8 oz, 16 oz and 10 grams all measured correctly. Glock's website lists the 34 at 25.95 oz empty, but didn't indicate if that was with a magazine (assuming it was). Does not account for included factory grip inserts.

Weighed the guide rod and spring, and it is an even ounce. The stock guide rod and spring assembly weighs .7 oz.

Dawson claims the base pads weigh 1 oz. I haven't weighed them or the stock pads yet.

Don't have the weight of the sights either, but let's say .3 oz difference in recoil spring and guide rod and 1 oz for the base pads, that would still allow .7 oz for the difference in the sights and the addition of the grip plug. All other parts are either equal in weight to factory, factory supplied, or lighter then factory.

Somehow a G35 is 1.3 ounces heavier. This difference in weight doesn't seem to be accurate.

Last edited:
You should also consider dumping the adjustable sights for fixed sights. Don't know how much weight it will save, but at least they won't break on you. I've seen 1 Dawson and 1 other brand of adjustable sights break in a match and ruin a stage for the shooter. There's no need for adjustables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should also consider dumping the adjustable sights for fixed sights. Don't know how much weight it will save, but at least they won't break on you. I've seen 1 Dawson and 1 other brand of adjustable sights break in a match and ruin a stage for the shooter. There's no need for adjustables.

What if you want the bullet to go exactly where you are aiming?

I will weigh it without the beavertail grip panel tonight and see if that does it. I will also see if it will cause me to get slide bite since my hands, while large, are not too meaty.

What if you want the bullet to go exactly where you are aiming?

Personally, I have a fixed load recipe that I shoot so I install the desired height front sight and I'm done with it. It's probably a lot easier for us Glock shooters...

When was the last time you used the sights on a gun anyway??? Aren't you one of those Open shooters?

- - - Updated - - -

I will weigh it without the beavertail grip panel tonight and see if that does it. I will also see if it will cause me to get slide bite since my hands, while large, are not too meaty.

Beavertail grip panel??? What kind of pansy shoots a Glock with a beavertail installed?

Having the same problem as you and I don't even have the base pads.

Weighed my primary gun came in at 28.1 oz no base pads but same guide rod and sights. not sure where I'm picking up extra weight.

Sure the grip tape is adding some but doesn't seem like I have 2 oz of extra stuff. I would like to know what backstrap they had on the gun when they weighed it. And like Sjan said I would like to know how much lighter a 17 rd mag is. Im sure Glock didn't use one of those for their weight.

I just ordered Dawson +.300 base pads and I'm going to figure out how to make all this work so S+++S about to get real.

I Weighed two different guns. A stock 34 and the one I shoot on the reg

Stock frame: = 5.2 oz
Frame with grip tape=5.6 oz ( Bought grip tape from hardware store and cut it out possibly a little thick for what I need)

Stock slide and sights =13.0 oz
Slide with dawson adjustable sights=13.9 oz

stock recoil spring assembly =.7 oz
aftermarket stainless adz assembly 1 oz

stock sights don't register on scale
fixed irons =.4 oz

10 rd mag is 2.9 oz

anyone who wants to weigh a normal mag and let me know that would be cool.
Got a week and a half to figure this out before A7 and then Prod nationals at the end of september. #yolo

Spicolii, crap man, I didn't see your post until now. I am shooting on Sunday in squad 201. I see that you are in 205. I am box and scale ready, but only just. I am right at 28 oz even. I don't have much in the way of spare equipment, but I can bring my scale with me on Sunday and if you haven't sorted it out yet, we can see about dropping a bit before the shoot. Did you chrono too?

All these scrubs arguing with Supermoto about competition shooting is cracking me up.

Any competition shooter worth anything would rather have full adjustable than not.

I recently changed my loads. Glad I didn't have to buy another front sight to compensate for the change in impact. [wink]

Whoops! Still 0.1 oz over. Now I just shot my first Open match.

Mag base pads are going to visit Mr. Beltsander real soon.

Back
Top Bottom