• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need to shed .3 ounces.

eboos

NES Member
I weighed my Glock 34 Gen 4 with an empty mag, and I am at 28.3 ounces. All of my magazines weigh exactly the same. The posted weight on the USPSA approved list is 26 ounces, and Production division rules allow 2 ounces over the listed weight. I am using Dawson adjustable sights and .200" aluminum magazine base plates, and I haven't box tested the gun yet. Assuming it does fit in the box, had anyone here tried removing material from the magazine base plates to make weight?

Steel. Jager one piece for a Gen 4. Not an oversized one. I don't plan to get rid of it.

Glock's website says the non MOS G34 is 25.95 ounces unloaded, which is probably where the 26 comes from. I have a feeling that this weight does not include the weight of the unloaded magazine. Did you weigh it with an empty magazine or with no magazine?

With an empty mag per USPSA rules.

The total mods are Dawson .200" magazine base pads, adjustable rear sight and FO front sight; Zev lightened striker; TTI connector, 4.5lbs striker spring, and lightweight plunger spring; Jager one piece steel Gen 4 guide rod with a ISMI 13lbs flat recoil spring; plastic grip plug, and the large beavertail frame insert. None of the items I would consider unnecessary, and the only parts that I feel that I can trim weight off of are the magazine base pads.

Last edited:
.3oz? can lose that anywhere. Just take some sandpaper to the bottom of the aluminum base plates.

.3oz? can lose that anywhere. Just take some sandpaper to the bottom of the aluminum base plates.

Maybe it's possible, but he'd end up with $200 worth of jacked up basepads and still on the cusp of getting bumped to open division.

Jeesuz kristafur.... is there not plenty of plastic. To be ground off....also as mentioned must be some sacrificial metal to be removed some where.
Maybe put all the original parts back on and see if it makes weight.

Last edited:
Maybe it's possible, but he'd end up with $200 worth of jacked up basepads and still on the cusp of getting bumped to open division.

He'd be better off just taking out the frou frou guide rod and calling it a day.

-Mike

He'd be better off just taking out the frou frou guide rod and calling it a day.

-Mike

He said pretty plainly he wasn't ditching the guide rod.

As far as the base pads meh. Its a competition rig not a safe queen. Trust me... if he is/will be any good he is going to beat the hell out of his gear practicing and competing anyway.

I would weigh the gun on a different scale before you start modding as has been suggested.

One final thing if your not at a high level I wouldn't worry about .3 they aren't going to bump you for that.

He said pretty plainly he wasn't ditching the guide rod.

As far as the base pads meh. Its a competition rig not a safe queen. Trust me... if he is/will be any good he is going to beat the hell out of his gear practicing and competing anyway.

I would weigh the gun on a different scale before you start modding as has been suggested.

One final thing if your not at a high level I wouldn't worry about .3 they aren't going to bump you for that.

If I was going to make a guess the fact that he cares at all kinda says that he might get his gun weighed or whatever at a "something other than local" match. FWIW at least with IDPA and USPSA even if you suck, if you're competing at a match of any significance, even crappy shooters have had their equipment fail chrono or other requirements. It would suck to pay extra money (and possibly travel) for a higher level match, then get bumped into open scoring, etc over a minor equipment violation, so he's probably trying to avoid that.

-Mike

Jeesuz kristafur.... is there not plenty of plastic. To be ground off....also as mentioned must be some sacrificial metal to be removed some where.
Maybe put all the original parts back on and see if it makes weight.

This ^

It's a Glock......there has to be some polymer on that chunk of a grip frame to grind off.

I would remove the grip plug. You will never know it's gone.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't weigh much, but it's a useless addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one less edge for the mag lips to get hung up on.

I guess you could cut off the internal portion and then just glue it on. That would cut its weight in half. Save a few grams.

Playing around with math, I would need to remove 3.14 cubic centimeters of material from each base plate if that is how I plan to make weight (provided that aluminum has a density of 2.7 grams per cm3). That doesn't seem like a viable option.

Bevel some edges of the slide

A penny weighs about .1 OZ. So think about 3 pennies weight.

Not exactly trivial if you don't want to look at the large pieces. That's a lot of trimming of small parts and even then it would be difficult to impossible

Back
Top Bottom