Need to replace GunVault -- eats batteries

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I can't get 2 months out of a new set of batteries in my GunVault. It seems to be malfunctioning. It is bad enough that it takes 8 batteries, but I find it very difficult to change the batteries in it. It is of course bolted to the floor, so the contortions I have to do to access the battery compartment are quite unpleasant.

This thing has gotta go. Any suggestions on a Made in USA replacement that isn't going to flake out on me?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hmmm, maybe. I think mine is probably 6 or 7 years old by now though. I don't recall what the guarantee is good for.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only replaced the batteries in mine once last year, have had it now for three years total..... Give Gunvault a call, hopefully thier CS is good.....

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hmmm, maybe. I think mine is probably 6 or 7 years old by now though. I don't recall what the guarantee is good for.

My first one was about that old, but it died a few years ago just like your did. At the time mine died GunVault had just been acquired by Cannon. They couldn't help me because it was out of warranty. I really like the safe, so I sucked it up and bought another.

Fast forward a few years, and the new one broke. This time the mechanism that actuates the latch when you use the key pad failed - the cable that attaches to the motor and pulls the latch wore out and broke. I called them up and they replaced it. They sent me a new safe and a return label to send my old one back. I don't know if they're being more generous with there warranty coverage or if this problem was something they were covering above the warranty. I do know that they system that field has been redesigned.

Give them a call. It's free. The worst that can happen is that they won't send you a new safe.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Mine used to go well over a year (maybe 2?) on a set of batteries, but a year or so ago it developed this problem of eating batteries.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm thinking of the same one for my M&P9c. How do you like it?

And does anyone in the area sell it? I am pretty sure that Four Seasons just has the GunVault. I wonder if anyone at the Marlboro show would be selling them.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
cabelas was doing free shipping plus 10 bucks off of that thing awhile ago.. so I grabbed it there.

I like it, it isn't hard to open fast, depending how well you know your combo, I suppose. I can get into it the same amount of time as the gunvault with a few minutes of practice.

HTRN

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The most common problem with all electronics is dielectric capacitors. Once the electrolyte dries out, they start to leak across the circuit. I have no idea if this unit uses them, but it could well be the problem.

In this case, it would cause the batteries to drain.

Most only last 2-3 years in constant use, but some are better designed than others.

Last summer when my flow switch went in my hot tub, I noticed the two caps in the power supply circuit were bulging. A tell tale sign that they are on their way out. I ordered 2 new ones from digikey for $6 and I have a control board that is as good as new.

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The most common problem with all electronics is dielectric capacitors. Once the electrolyte dries out, they start to leak across the circuit. I have no idea if this unit uses them, but it could well be the problem.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering how this could just start happening, and that makes sense as a likely reason.

All the more reason I should probably consider the V-Line one.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I saw one from Fort Knox that looked similar to the V-Line, at the Marlboro gun show today. So, I got that one. It seems quite solid. Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me an hour to figure out how to set the combination (instructions were rather brief). Now, I just have to get the hardware to mount it to the floor.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/pistolboxes/

Titan

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I saw one from Fort Knox that looked similar to the V-Line, at the Marlboro gun show today. So, I got that one. It seems quite solid. Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me an hour to figure out how to set the combination (instructions were rather brief). Now, I just have to get the hardware to mount it to the floor.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/pistolboxes/

That box looks pretty good. Is there a way to open it if you forget the combination (key, etc.)?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That box looks pretty good. Is there a way to open it if you forget the combination (key, etc.)?

Not that I can tell. Other than, try every combination. I think there are just over 1000? You could narrow down the number of choices if you can remember something about the combination (such as whether you used 2 groups of button presses vs 3 groups of button presses).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have V-Line bolted under the bed. It opens very fast. I open it almost everyday so I am used to the combo sequence. I also have a biometric GunVault which I think is a POS. It opens about 50% of the time on the 1st try. I have another one with the buttons which is much better, but I would buy another V-Line before another GunVault.

Top Bottom