Need To Get The Wife an IPAD should I Get The 3G model or not?

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
I am looking for some feedback from you guys that have IPADs. Wife is in realestate, she has decided she needs an ipad for work. I say she should get the one with 3g so she doesn't have to rely on finding open networks to connect to. What have you guys found? are there open networks when you need them? Have you tethered it to your phone using phone as a hotspot? I'm lost on this stuff . I just pay for it.
Thank you in advance NES for the help

I'd get the new model with 4G LTE. I have it, very nice not having to worry about finding a Panera or wherever for internet access. Plus it's relatively cheap, no contract required, and I don't trust open wireless networks.

I don't have an iPad but I do have a smartphone (Evo 4G) and it is indispensable. The stuff I can do with it is amazing. I would definitely get the 3G. 4G coverage is spotty up here but when you have it, it's fast! Check your services coverage map. And "There's an App for that!" - Yes I can monitor the police scanner, listen to talk radio, navigate and get current weather maps. Even file a flight plan, all from my phone. Oh and pay bills and transfer money and trade stocks. I can even act as a hotspot for other users, if I let them tether.

Last edited:
Given that she is a realtor, and will likely be on the road and at homes that do not currently have an internet connection get one with wireless capability.

I think it comes down to this: if she will be using it only around the house or where she knows she will get a good, reliable wifi connection, then the regular version is okay. For all other applications, she will want the 3G version. I ride the train, and while the 3G signal isn't great in some spots, it's better than trying to share the 'free' wifi with 100 other people and getting no throughout at all.

If she already has a phone with tethering and a data plan that supports it, you don't need the 3G. If her phone does not support tethering, then get the new LTE model. Also make sure you get the latest iPad model the new and old are both for still being sold. The new screen is worth the money IMO.

If she already has an iPhone then tethering is the way to go. You get 5Gb/month for $50 with AT&T (don't know what the others offer) and this can be shared between all devices so she can use a laptop as well as the iPad. This route will also save you the cost of the 3G/4G on the iPad and hopefully the next iPhone version will have 4G.

What he said... If there is coverage for 3/4g then I'd get the service. Not all 4g is created equally, Sprints 4g doesn't penetrate buildings well where Verizon's 4g works well inside and outside. I dumped my 4g Sprint phone for a 4g Verizon phone that enable tethering on. Sorry, I have no idea about ATT's 4g service. Can you setup the service and buy the device so she'll be able to write it off as a business expense for taxes?

I don't have an iPad but I do have a smartphone (Evo 4G) and it is indispensable. The stuff I can do with it is amazing. I would definitely get the 3G. 4G coverage is spotty up here but when you have it, it's fast! Check your services coverage map. And "There's an App for that!" - Yes I can monitor the police scanner, listen to talk radio, navigate and get current weather maps. Even file a flight plan, all from my phone. Oh and pay bills and transfer money and trade stocks. I can even act as a hotspot for other users, if I let them tether.

Just keep in mind that once you get it, you may lose your wife, sort of. I bought one for my wife last Christmas and she is now "surgically" attached to it! She loves it!(and so do I )[laugh]

Kids also love them! Guy at work had his 4 year old writing letters and numbers playing one of the many educational apps.

Just keep in mind that once you get it, you may lose your wife, sort of. I bought one for my wife last Christmas and she is now "surgically" attached to it! She loves it!(and so do I )[laugh]

I went without the 3G on my iPad 2 only because I travel rarely and have wifi at home and at my office (basically the only two places I use it). For a realtor, however, I would think 3G/4G service would be a must.

Also, don't even think about saving $100 by getting an iPad 2. The display alone makes the iPad 3 a no brainer. For any amount of reading, her eyes will thank you. Not to mention the camera on the iPad 2 sucks, and I hear it's great on the iPad 3. Well worth the slightly higher price.

Wife is in realestate, she has decided she needs an ipad for work.

I am also a Realtor. I own an iPad 2 with 3G and believe me, this is perfect to tote along with you on home showings and open houses. Many times I have clients ask me on the fly about other properties in the area and I am able to instantly look up homes in the MLS. You can't always rely on a wifi connection so the cellular wireless is an absolutely necessity.
Another option is you can buy the wifi only and purchase a separate 3G/4G hotspot (Clear wireless for example) and connect with that, although you will need to carry that separately.
The key to the WWAN built in iPads is that you don't have to subscribe and can turn it on/off as needed.
Plus there are a bunch of great apps that realtors may find handy to have at their fingertips (Zillow Mortgages, Realtor.com and Kindle (some open houses are SLOW and a book is required :-D ).

Also, I would always recommend purchasing the latest and greatest version. The discount they offer to purchase the previous version is not worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Yes, if she needs to travel with it then it's awesome. My wife just uses hers at home and therefore the non-monthly service charge is better for my wallet =)

WOW thank you all. I am going to return some beer cans and maybe put a liver on EBAY to get her the WIFI and 3G latest model. You guys had some good points there. I may make a cardboard cut out of me and put it on the couch. more range time for me! thank you all again!

I say get a refurbed ipad2 with 3G
E new iPad isn't worth the price difference unless she is a techy geek who will stare at the screen and shout how wonderful it is. 4 people in my office couldn't tell the new iPad vs the iPad2

I say get a refurbed ipad2 with 3G
E new iPad isn't worth the price difference unless she is a techy geek who will stare at the screen and shout how wonderful it is. 4 people in my office couldn't tell the new iPad vs the iPad2

Most people can't tell the difference between standard TV and HD TV either.

I always recommend going with the latest as the processor is much better not just the screen resolution.
You may not see a difference now, but in a year or so some apps might not play as nicely as they would on the newer device.

Most people can't tell the difference between standard TV and HD TV either.

I always recommend going with the latest as the processor is much better not just the screen resolution.
You may not see a difference now, but in a year or so some apps might not play as nicely as they would on the newer device.

I believe the processor is the same. There is a new graphics processor but that is for the new display. In terms of performance the only difference is a halg gig of additional RAM

I finally saved enough $$ and bought one. I <3 my iPad [smile]

I got the 4G, with only the intention of activating it when travelling. I'll see how that goes.

So far, we're pretty inseparable [laugh]

I finally saved enough $$ and bought one. I <3 my iPad [smile]

I got the 4G, with only the intention of activating it when travelling. I'll see how that goes.

So far, we're pretty inseparable [laugh]

Out of curiosity what do you use it for i find myself wabting my laptop most of the time. Unless im playing a dumb game I really don't find a great use for it.

Out of curiosity what do you use it for i find myself wabting my laptop most of the time. Unless im playing a dumb game I really don't find a great use for it.

We are in the same boat. My wife has had one since last summer and we only use it for looking at pics, and she uses it for facebook, and crap like that, but find it to be more of a toy than a useful business type tool. She still relies on her laptop for just about any serious work related stuff. We even bought "office for mac" and tried to load it up, but apparently Safari isn't compatible. Any of you guys know how to make it work? Sorry for the slight thread derail!

We are in the same boat. My wife has had one since last summer and we only use it for looking at pics, and she uses it for facebook, and crap like that, but find it to be more of a toy than a useful business type tool. She still relies on her laptop for just about any serious work related stuff. We even bought "office for mac" and tried to load it up, but apparently Safari isn't compatible. Any of you guys know how to make it work? Sorry for the slight thread derail!

If you want Office in a tablet, buy the Asus Eee Slate EP121. My cousin got one and its pretty neat. I got to play with it for a week.

Make sure you are up to date on software updates and make sure Safari is not running (look in the task bar to be 100% sure). Like every POS product M$ makes, they install crap everywhere....in this case plug-ins for Safari. You might take a look at the iWork suite which is cheaper, can be installed on multiple machines legally, and it pretty darn compatible with Office.

well, I have an MBA at home. Using the cloud works well. If I add Pages, Numbers, Keynote (to the iPad) that go with the iWork bundle (on the MBA), I can do all of that on it. I'm really just getting going, have had it only for a week, and doing a lot of exploring.

Skype, Facetime, iMessage, movies, emails, surfing, plus the "useful" stuff of iWorks and I'm quite happy so far.

I'm heading to the UK shortly and I'm glad I'm bringing this instead of my MBA for the flights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom