1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Need to get a really big stainless steel pan made........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 26, 2018.

1. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Wondering if anybody has any info on suppliers of stainless sheet - and places that might be able to bend this up.

I need to make a stainless steel pan that will measure 55" wide, 67" long - and 8" deep.

In a perfect world - I would like to get it made out of one single piece , but since the largest sheets are 5ft x 10ft - that's likely not possible. If I could get it bent up in two pieces and I just have to weld together two pieces - that would be ok. If I have to make it in four pieces and weld it up that would also be ok.

What I'm looking for first is: suppliers where I can get the 12ga or 14ga stainless sheet I need to build this - and secondly , someplace with a big enough metal brake to bend it.

If I have to go with smaller pieces - I can just bend it myself

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

try lowell iron and steel. see what they say

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

What is this? The Mrs. Costanza Paella episode of Seinfeld???? What sort of fire are you cooking this over????

MAGG and M1911 like this.
  4. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

5. kelton

kelton NES Member

6. Artie

Artie NES Member

Was literally looking for some local rectangular steel tube today and came across these guys. I don't have any personal experience with them. Good luck!

https://www.atlanticstainless.com

7. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Welch Welding in N Chelmsford has a brake that can bend that.

Welfab in Billerica has a brake that can bend that.

8. snax

snax NES Member

Pelham Yarde Metals: Products
    Nashua Plate - Kloeckner Metals Corporation

They may have a minimum order, or you have to buy a full sheet.
    You may be able to call them and find out if they can point you to a shop that does alot of stainless work, you may luck out and find one with some scrap or remnants around they can fab something for you.

I went to Welch once 20 years ago, never been back. Ripped me off, and total a-holes. My father used to swear by them too.
    I went to Martel over on Woburn street in Billerica maybe 3 years ago, and they helped me out with some brake and cutting work on some heavier gauge steel and they did it right there and only charged me something like $25 bucks.

9. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

LOL.

Actually I'm looking to make what's called a water table - to go under a plasma CNC cutting table:

[​IMG]

So technically - the fire is going to be over it and the water is keep all the sparks and smoke contained.

Although you did make me think a little - maybe the pan could do dual duty. If we ever get to SHTF time - and I become this guy:

[​IMG]

............. at least I'll have my frying pan already made up and ready to go.......

10. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I would never have thought of that - some of their products are at least as big as what I'm looking for. I'll have to keep them in mind since they obviously have the ability to manufacture something that big.

11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I'll have to check out Yarde Metals - I've never used them before. I tried getting some stuff from the place that is Kloeckner now (can't remember what the previous company name was) - and they said they only dealt with wholesale.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I know where I'm going for pancakes

13. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

The plasma table we had at Ken--Weld in Worcester had just a 3/16" steel water pan always filled with water. I worked there for 4 1/2 years or so and I never seen it rot threw.

SS steel pan would last year's I get it but if it's only going to catch slag low carbon steel is fine.
    Just my opinion, cool machine how thick are you going to able cut once done, around an inch or bigger?

Jason

14. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Lusignan Brothers in Worcester might be able to supply your stock or fabricate it for you, they are good.

15. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

That business went under over 3 years ago, I know I helped clean out the building and scrap. Infact the center section of building is just a concrete pad.

Jason

16. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Holy crap! Sorry, didn't know.... There was a time that shop could produce his order in a day, had piles of oddball stock and the tradesmen were top notch! Sad to hear it, but you can still find them with a quick Google search, what's up with that?

17. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I'll keep that in mind. Going with carbon steel would be easier I suppose and cheaper. I was looking at stainless initially in an attempt to try and keep the thing cleaner over time and avoid rust out. I'll have to treat the water in it anyway to avoid rust on the cut pieces - so that would probably keep the rust down in the tray too. If going the stainless route turns out to be too expensive or hard to get made (stainless is harder to bend) - I'll resort to using the carbon steel.

Right now I've got a Hypertherm Powermax 65 cutter to go on it. The 65 is rated up 1" cut thru - and 5/8" for piercing. I don't think I'll be doing anything quite that thick regularly - I'll mostly be doing 1/4" and up to 1/2" stuff. It's a Dynatorch XLR8 table - and they'll operate with more powerful plasma cutters - but I don't think I'll need much more than the 65. I could up the capacity of the table by going to a Hypertherm 85 - which will cut up to 1.25" - after that anything more powerful needs 3-phase power.

18. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

There are a couple hundred sheet metal shops in New England.

Most don’t bother with one offs, but do a search for Sheet Metal Fabrication or architectural sheet metal. SIC Code looks like 3444.

19. Waher

Waher NES Member

Any company that does HVAC condensate overflow pans or shower pans should be able to fabricate that for you.

20. rcwhat

rcwhat

Dosco sheet metal can do that no problem

Mr. Malibu likes this.
  21. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

I will keep you in mind once you are up and running, I have a small production run I want to try out, but its thin 14g material.

Jason.

22. Mr. Malibu

Mr. Malibu NES Member

This!

Does it have to be SS? Will aluminum work?

23. SPG

SPG NES Member

Weiss sheet metal in Avon is great, they have done several custom jobs for me

24. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

I used Martel Welding in Billerica for some diamond plate body panels on my Jeep. They do commercial truck repair, I imagine they can make whatever you want.

25. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Filling a large aluminum pan up with water and then blasting a bunch of very hot steel debris seems like a pretty good way to get massive galvanic corrosion............

[smile]

26. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Ok - I'll let you know when I get it up and running. It might be a little while - it's currently sort of a second-order project.

Should have no problem cutting 14ga. The Dynatorch XLR8 has some pretty fast traverse speeds (something like 400ipm) - which from what I understand is what you need to cut thin-gauge metal without heat distortion. I'm not 100% set on what I'm going to do for fume capture - but it looks like I'll go with a combination water table and sidedraft setup. I see an awful lot of plasma tables setup with the water touching the work - and from what I've seen for recommendations that causes more dross on the cuts - and also makes a mess of the work and the torch - and the table. Supposedly the best setup is a combo water table - below the work far enough to prevent splashback - and then a downdraft or sidedraft setup to remove the remaining fumes.

This the setup I've seen recommended by Hypertherm's field guy (he's all over the welding and metalworking forums) - and it's also used by a guy named Keith Fenner who's down on the Cape and has a Plasmacam table that he's done a number of Youtube videos about.

Another method I've wondered about for doing cuts on thinner gauge steel is some compressed air cooling. There's a number of companies that make super cooling "guns" for use on milling machines and other cutting machines. They use compressed air thru a venturi to get a super cooling effect.

27. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

You're the 2nd guy to recommend them, since they're local - I may try them first. I checked out their website and they seem to be good with one-off jobs.

28. Arto

Arto

be sure to passivate it afterwards

29. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

To be accurate, they did 4 rocker panels in diamond plate, rattle-can black, cut off the lower part of the doors and welded the new parts on. $1100 cash total. I'll go back when I need more stuff done. PM if you want a closer look, I live in Chelmsford:)

30. Mattyweb

Mattyweb NES Member

Does it need to be a single pan or could you put 2 or 4 pans next to each other? Not sure if this would be cheaper or easier and accomplish the same if you can’t find a single me large enough.