• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need suggestions for a new flashlight (with knife maybe) combo

Another vote for the 4 Sevens flashlights. I have a mini 123 and a Preon 2 and love them both. Fantastic lights.

Well after looking at pricing and reviews I went with a Surefire E2DL Executive Defender LED (5/200) light.

Lighter than my maglight (RIP), superbright, strike bezel is pretty cool too. I got it off Ebay for ~$130, NIB.

The knife is still up in the air, as I have meat hooks for hands (wear a 2XL snowmobile glove) - I'll have to try them out next time I'm at Cabelas in CT. I like the Ontario 'Military' knives but those are ~$260 - ouch.

I'll post again when I make the choice.

Thank you for all the great info.

Based on your posting try this one. Serengiti High Intensity CREE Tactical light (LED) Costco had them in a bubble pack for around $20.00 bucks. You can find them on-line as well. Not Surefire quality, but also not Surefire $$..........

I ended up with a SOG Flash II assisted opening knife. It fits my hand well, seems sturdy enough and the assisted opening is pretty cool. I got the combo-rounded blade variant with black finish and digi-camo handle.

Just waiting for my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe, Horsehide, standard cut for my Glock 26 - I got a notice it was sked to be shipped USPS yesterday and it still can't be tracked in the system. btw Ordered 04/05/11 Notice of shipment 05/19/11 (6 weeks 2 days) Received 05/21/11 (6 weeks 4 days)

No need to bump for this:

Fit is good on holster, retention may be abit stiff while wearing, I'm not going to adjust it until I put some draw-ez on the horsehide and make acouple trips to the range. OUTSTANDING CONCEALMENT and very comfortable + no squeaks.

Last edited:
So, what are the latest and greatest developments and deals in LED or other flashlights?

Would prefer something rechargeable, no bigger than a 2D Maglight, preferably no bigger than a 2C Maglight.

Thanks.

So, what are the latest and greatest developments and deals in LED or other flashlights?

Would prefer something rechargeable, no bigger than a 2D Maglight, preferably no bigger than a 2C Maglight.

Thanks.

I just bought several 3 Dcell MagLites LED version and love them. The beam is as bright and focused as ones we use in the fire service lights that cost five times the price. I don't mind the heft of them, they double as a club and are virtually indestructable.

I've got several rechargeable flashlights and have found that if not used, they tend to go bad and replacement is not cheap. I've gotten away from them as much as possible and use lights with common batteries, AAA, AA, and D cells. C cells are an oddball in most applications and I want better versatility. Everything I have uses four types of batteries, with the 9v being the oddest one and only in smoke/CO detectors.

Amazon had the LED maglites on sale for $23 ea with free shipping a month ago. Most other places were $34 and up for the same light.

Thats funny I just ordered a PD30 myself to replace a Fenix and Surefire which have gone missing. PD30 is actually just a tiny bit smaller than I was hoping for, but basically the same as my P3D. For my purposes I am looking more for a good dim setting, but occaisionally super bright light is needed. PD30 is pretty much the perfect light for that.

I also ordered a Fenix E15 which has yet to arrive.

Cannot recommend these lights enough. Perfect price/performance balance. Very tough.

I personally do not care much for Surefire products. They are made well enough, but are horribly over priced. They have done very little to advance their technology in the past few years. Overall they are riding on their name, not what they are putting out. They are US made though, and that matters to some people.

The reason they have a rep is because most of their products are not junk, in a market where 50% of the products out there are nothing but pure gutter trash. They also stand behind their products pretty well.

I know I can take a typical surefire light, strap it to a rifle or a shotgun, rap off 500 rounds through it and still have the light work at the end. The same can't be said for a lot of the other chinese junk out there.

Granted there are likely a lot of respectable makers out there now, but Surefire would not be as popular as they are and command the price premium they get if there wasn't so much trash in the rest of the market A few years ago Surefire was basically the clean island in a sea of feces, in terms of flashlights.

-Mike

OK, I did a search on Google for "Fenix PD30".

I get the following here: http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD30-Level-Performance-Flashlight/dp/B001H4MWA4
Fenix PD31 Limited Edition Flashlight $69.95
Fenix PD30 Flashlight $62.95
Fenix PD30R2 6 Level 235 Lumen LED Flashlight $57.95
Fenix PD30 Level High Performance Cree LED Flashlight by Fenix Flashlights Price: $58.01

I also got over at http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc...LOSEOUT-SALE-IS-FINAL-NO-WARRANTY-39p1083.htm the following:
Fenix PD30 Cree XR-E LED (R2) Flashlight: 235 Lumens (2*CR123A) *CLOSEOUT. SALE IS FINAL. NO WARRANTY.
The Fenix PD30 is the updated version of the wildly popular P3D Q5. Price: $56.00

HOW MANY DIFFERENT MODELS OF THIS ARE THERE, AND WHY THE PRICE FLUCTUATION?

This doesn't take into account the Olights, the Liotec's, the Wolf Eyes, and the Bear Cubs.

Why can't there be one place (a store) where one can see and compare these things all side by side? Maybe I should open that store. Would others go there to buy? I wonder.

Anyone else have an inkling about these lights, how they compare, and which one to get. I just want a simple on/off button, and twist the head to go from flood to spot, just like a Maglight.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
The reason they have a rep is because most of their products are not junk, in a market where 50% of the products out there are nothing but pure gutter trash. They also stand behind their products pretty well.

I know I can take a typical surefire light, strap it to a rifle or a shotgun, rap off 500 rounds through it and still have the light work at the end. The same can't be said for a lot of the other chinese junk out there.

Granted there are likely a lot of respectable makers out there now, but Surefire would not be as popular as they are and command the price premium they get if there wasn't so much trash in the rest of the market A few years ago Surefire was basically the clean island in a sea of feces, in terms of flashlights.

-Mike

Yep. I don' doubt that I probably overpaid by a ton on every SureFire flashlight I've bought (5?), but the comfort of having a company like SureFire and their awesome customer service behind those lights is huge. Plus I know I can (because I have) beat the crap out of those lights, and they'll keep working.

I bought a Fenix TK11 for less than $80 and I've been more than happy with it. Advertised as 285 lumens, comes with a 'turbo' mode and a standard mode. Link here, you should also be able to find some on ebay for less than $80 shipped w/batteries.

+1 on this. I love my Fenix TK11. Bought it from lapolicegear.com at a great price. For me it does everything I want it to with out having to pay a higher price for a name. Well built and bright as hell!

Though it wasn't cheap (~$185), the small weapon light from Blackbear is the best light I have ever owned. Hands down. End of story.

When I've put next to others mentioned above, it is simply brighter with a much longer throw.

Contact Juan Charles of Black Bear Flashlights (http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/)
[email protected]

Below is what I was looking for about 8 months ago. I'm sure he could put an off/low/high switch on for you.

Weapon light for AR-15:

Rechargable Hard Anodized Type III Matte Black weapon light (350 Lumens)
w/ Matte Black Crenellated Bezel
w/ Quick Detach Lever Mount - Mounting to a YHM Diamond series forearm
w/ both pressure pad and regular click switches
w/ Charger and battery

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom