• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need suggestions for a new flashlight (with knife maybe) combo

GM-GUY

NES Member
Well my Mini-Maglight I bought when I was in the military (1988) has had it [sad] I guess I left some batteries in it too long, they cooroded and welded themselves to the unit.

Need a new 'carry' flashlight. I have Streamlight TLR-1 & TLR-2's on the guns and like the brightness and I have plenty of CR123A batteries.

Requirements:
About 6" long 'normal' - not one of those finger-length ones.
LED - as they last forever and are very bright (at least the TLR-1 & TLR-2)
Two power settings - one low for map reading, one blinding

If it comes in a 'value pack' with a folding pocket clip knife, that would be ideal. I've been using a fixed Kabar 'bent knife', I don't recall the name but it's for your weak side if someone grabs your firearm.

Suggestions on such a light?
Suggestions on such a knife?

I bought a Fenix TK11 for less than $80 and I've been more than happy with it. Advertised as 285 lumens, comes with a 'turbo' mode and a standard mode. Link here, you should also be able to find some on ebay for less than $80 shipped w/batteries.

SureFire for a flashlight.

For a folding knife, look at Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, Columbia River Knife and Tool, and Kershaw.

I bought an Eagle-Tac T20C2 MKII XM-L for my upcoming deployment. I have a Fenix TA20 on my AR, and this thing blows it away in brightness, granted I still love the Fenix. The great thing about the TA-20 is that it uses a dial to go between settings, not weird combinations of twisting things/pushing things like all the new lights (Fenix included) seem to have. Zero Hour had them for 66 bucks cash. 6 months ago or so.

My fiance has an Eagle-Tac P20C2 MKII which she really likes, it has a slightly less focused beam pattern than the T20C2 and is a little smaller. For an every day carry light I would take a look at the Fenix PD30. It is a smaller light but I believe the newer ones are about 305 lumens. I plan on picking one up for myself at some point, I got one for my buddy for his birthday and its just a good as the bigger lights but tiny.

Mike

I've been looking up those and other brands pop up on 'others have viewed' (Amazon - what else)

Thoughts on the Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto 50/50 edge? The price point appears more in my range and it has nothing but good reviews.

Thoughts on the Streamlight Scorpion XL? I don't think it is released yet but has High/Low/Strobe settings and has all the other requirements.

I've been looking up those and other brands pop up on 'others have viewed' (Amazon - what else)

Thoughts on the Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto 50/50 edge? The price point appears more in my range and it has nothing but good reviews.

Thoughts on the Streamlight Scorpion XL? I don't think it is released yet but has High/Low/Strobe settings and has all the other requirements.

Get the straight edge. Cold Steel's serrations aren't all they're cracked up to be, and they're weak. I had a voyager with 50/50 edge, and the serrations lasted like a month.

Also, for EDC, I find a drop point to be a lot more useful than the tanto point.

Seriously, Surefire's are the best moonbeams out there; it doesn't come with a blade -- but the light will cut you. Worth every penny.

Seriously, Surefire's are the best moonbeams out there; it doesn't come with a blade -- but the light will cut you. Worth every penny.

Dear god, you just said something I agree with.

FWIW, though, I've heard the SureFire knives are pretty decent, if not a tad overpriced.

I really like my Fenix products. I have a TA20 in the truck & a TK12 attached to my 870.
IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

+1 for Surefire. I carry an E1B but its shorter than you said you want. Perhaps the LX2 Lumamax would work for you....its a 200/15 lumen dual output light and its 5.40" long with lens up or down belt clip?

If you want something cheaper and that uses regular AA size batteries I recently bought a Streamlight ProTac 2AA. Its 120/14 lumen with strobe feature. Its 5.9" long. I got it to save a little money on batteries since I use my lights regulary for work. I'm impressed by the ProTac 2AA and $5 for a pack of 8 AAs is a little better than $5 - 10 per 123 battery. I too have TLRs so I knew Streamlight made good stuff.

As for the knife, my EDC is either a Spyderco Delica 4 or Endura 4, some are flat ground, some are the regular sabre grind with the wave feature. other EDCs include Gerber Mini Covert and Gerber Covert...both decent for everyday tasks and in case SHTF.

I know you said you wanted something "regular" length, but if you are willing to consider something smaller I can highly recommend this flashlight. It takes one AAA battery and it's total size is comprable to a single AA battery. It has three power settings and the brightest is really surprisingly bright. I got one and carry it constantly in my pocket. My wife liked it so much she made me buy her one and she carries it on her keychain.

Last edited:
I know you said you wanted something "regular" length, but if you are willing to consider something smaller I can highly recommend this flashlight. It takes one AAA battery and it's total size is comprable to a single AA battery. It has three power settings and the brightest is really surprisingly bright. I got one and carry it constantly in my pocket. My wife liked it so much she made me buy her one and she carries it on her keychain.

What flashlight? Link or pics please.

Thanks for the clarification.

No prob. I was just being lazy with my link, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, here's a picture I just took of the flashlight next to some chapstick so you can have an idea of the size. That's my keyboard in the corner and you can see the spacebar and ALT key. As you can see, the flashlight is tiny. The high output setting is 80 lumens, though, which is brighter than a standard Surefire incandescent bulb.

20110331114528647.jpg

Yep. $1.75 is as low as you'll find SureFire brand batteries. You can find CR123's cheaper, but when they explode and destroy your light, SF won't touch it.

I don't know how much you use your light, but I change the batteries in my A2L every couple months. It's really not that bad, and lithium batteries have an insane shelf life so you can buy in bulk and not worry about them going bad.

I would look at the Quark line made by 4sevens. I have a Quark Minix 123 ...

Though it was my first mini light, I also like the Quark 123. I have the 2 cell version (123²). It seems to be built well and has quick access to two program modes. Once programmed you just twist the head a little to switch between modes. 5 'steady-on' modes. Bright is 200 lumens, and it steps down to a min mode of 'moonlight'...then theres strobe (to blind your friends) and beacon mode (to summons aliens).

Would have been kinda cool if you could 'quick' access all the modes but, having quick access to two modes works fine.

Last edited:
I have pretty severe flashlight needs because of some of my other hobbies. The surefires are allright in terms of brightness and toughness, but they are vastly overpriced for what you get. They do not offer the adjust-ability of other brands that cost much less. You're paying double and triple the price and all you're really getting is the name.

Fenix is the best. Best features, semi reasonable price.

I dropped my fenix off a 50 foot tower onto a wood dock. never missed a beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88031-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00396S1Q2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302541323&sr=8-6

$43.00 and it's every bit as bright as a $200 flahlight. It is light and compact also. I carry it in a shirt pocket comfortably. Trust me on this, for the money, it is worth trying out. Has 2 brightness settings plus that stupid tacticool strobe feature that is totally worthless except as a selling point to wannabee operators. I have a couple of $150-200 flashlights and this thing works just as well. Cuts through the night like a lightsabre and will burn the eyes out of your head if you are not careful.

Thats also the downside, it's too bright to read something with or for small tasks. For that I carry a penlight
Streamlight_PT_2L.jpg

Last edited:
I dropped my fenix off a 50 foot tower onto a wood dock. never missed a beat.

I threw my SureFire G2 as hard as I could against a brick building. Never missed a beat either.

They might be pricey, but I have trouble trusting anything else these days.

I personally do not care much for Surefire products. They are made well enough, but are horribly over priced. They have done very little to advance their technology in the past few years. Overall they are riding on their name, not what they are putting out. They are US made though, and that matters to some people.

For lighting I have been a 4 Sevens fan for awhile now. I've tried many of their lights, and each and every one has impressed me. I would say they are good 6 months to a year ahead of most other companies when it comes to the LED's and technology they use. For the money, It will be hard to find a better light. They just released their new Turbo X which puts out over 400 lumens.

Fenix also puts out a very high quality product. I've tried a few of their offerings. I've also tested their IPX-8 water proof claims, and they passed with flying colors.

As for your knife request, I recently picked up a Kershaw Skyline as a beater knife. It was very inexpensive at around $28, so if I did lose it or break it, really not a big deal. Very easy to replace. Thus far I have been happy with the knife. It has a medium grade steel (Sandvik 14C28N) , and takes a very fine edge. The G-10 scales on the blade are good quality and the profile is a nice thin handle and blade.

Also it is very hard to go wrong with Spyderco. All things being considered I feel they are the best production knives on the market.Their value line such as the Tenacious, Persistence and Resilience are great knives for the money. The Endura and Delica lines are some of the most popular around. I would defiantly give them a very serious look.

As others have mentioned Cold Steel, Benchmade, and Zero Tolerance are very good brands as well. Between all of these, I am positive you will find something that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom