Need suggestion for rainier bullet reloads

Just switched to rainiers. Is the load below sufficient for an accurate load?

rainier 230gr tcj
5.7-5.8gr of cfe pistol powder
CCI LP primer
COL -1.25/1.26

What are your loads with similar setup?

I load 5 grains of Titegroup with that bullet. The COL is the same. None of my books list CFE. Velocity for my load is listed as 850 FPS but I've never chronographed them.

Is the load below sufficient for an accurate load?

rainier 230gr tcj
5.7-5.8gr of cfe pistol powder
CCI LP primer
COL -1.25/1.26

That's in the lower-middle range of Hodgdon's published charge weights for 230gr projectiles. As for accuracy (and velocity), your mileage will vary depending on other factors you aren't articulating, e.g., your gun. Having loaded and shot a fair quantity of 230gr bullets with CFE pistol, both FMJ and coated, I would expect 5.7-5.8gr loads to be light loads (which says nothing about accuracy per se, which was your question).

That's in the lower-middle range of Hodgdon's published charge weights for 230gr projectiles. As for accuracy (and velocity), your mileage will vary depending on other factors you aren't articulating, e.g., your gun. Having loaded and shot a fair quantity of 230gr bullets with CFE pistol, both FMJ and coated, I would expect 5.7-5.8gr loads to be light loads (which says nothing about accuracy per se, which was your question).

I used that number due people on other threads saying for rainier bullets use load for lead instead of jacketed due to their copper being softer then other bullet. On hodgdon the lead reads 5.4 - 6.2 while fmj reads 6.0-6.8gr. Should I jump my load to the mid tier of fmj gr level?

copy pasted from rainier

""""Rainier recommends using commercially published jacketed bullet load data when loading our projectiles. There is no need for adjustment when using jacketed bullet load data. Our bullets are completely encapsulated in copper, creating a “Total Copper Jacket” (TCJ) through a specialized electroplating process, and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets. We recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load found in various published and reputable reloading manuals.
A slight taper or minimal roll crimp may be used with our bullets. Over-crimping plated bullets may result in decreased accuracy, and can result in the fragmentation of copper plating."""""

Get yourself a CURRENT copy (the 50th anniversary edition is the newest one) of the LYMAN load data book. Nobody has more load data for lead bullets than they do. You can safely use LEAD load data for any copper plated bullets, or (of course) lead bullets.

Get yourself a CURRENT copy (the 50th anniversary edition is the newest one) of the LYMAN load data book. Nobody has more load data for lead bullets than they do. You can safely use LEAD load data for any copper plated bullets, or (of course) lead bullets.

I have both the 49th and 50th edition. Very limited data for .45

If you're looking for accuracy why not make ~10 rounds at 5.8, 6, and 6.2 gr to see how they shoot and look for pressure signs. Then decide if you can/should work up into the mid-max jacketed data?

Back
Top Bottom