• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need some help.

TZCHRIS

NES Member
I got about 15 buddies to sign up for the Firearm Safety Class (run by another buddy)

I would like to get a list of questions he can answer for these 'new to guns' guys. It's tough for a new guy who doesn't own or carry to come up with good questions so I figured I would bring a list of some good ones to help out. Maybe then they wont ask those stupid questions here next month!

Stuff like "is open carry legal in MA?" "Does ammo need to be locked up?" "Can I CCW at work?"

Thanks in advance! Chris

shouldnt that be covered in the class?

I dont think the class covers in complete detail Mass Law, I could be wrong, it has been about 15 years since I took the class. We do know for sure all these guys come out of the class with stupid questions not answered, just look at the posts here for evidence!

You would need lens class for that on mass law.

My class was a joke I watched a 20plus year old VHS copy of a copy of a copy of a NRA video for kids and I took my class last year lol.

Understanding transport rules, storage rules. How much ammo you can have with out a note from the fire department . What to do if carry and pulled over.
The places you really can't carry vs places people think you can't.

Those are some of the questions I had.

The instructor should tell you most of what you need to know. They obviously can't cover everything in one class but the basic class should cover the FAQ. If not, you need to find a better class, which if that's the case, do your friend a favor and don't pay him for his class if it sucks.

Has your other buddy taught classes before? If so, maybe he can answer some of the frequently asked questions for them. Keep in mind that it is primarily a safety course, so people shouldn't be learning laws at the expense of learning safety. I'm not trying to say you'll derail the course, but there is a defined curriculum that has to be covered.

When I took my class the did that sort of thing to get people thinking. They steered clear of legal questions when they couldn't answer them definitively. The Basic Pistol Safety course is not intended to be a legal course. Being new to firearms at the time, I learned a lot during my class that I now take for granted.

Since it sounds like the 17 of you are buddies, maybe invite them over for beers and pizza afterwards and go over the standard NES newbie questions.

But to answer your request:
1. Why is it a bad idea to use trigger locks on loaded firearms?

Get them all to sign up on NES first, and read all the sticky notes.

Have them post in this thread.

Here is what I have. Any others would be appreciated. I know he is not a lawyer but his advice (my opinion) is good.

Can I open carry in MA?
Can I keep my handgun under my mattress at home?
Can I take a buddy shooting and let him use my gun if he doesn’t have a license?
What do I do if I get pulled over and I am carrying concealed?
TGI Fridays has a sign on the door “No guns allowed” Does this mean I can’t go in if I am Carrying?
Why is it a bad idea to use a trigger lock on a loaded gun?
My buddy has a gun I want to buy, can I buy it from him without going to an FFL?
How do I transport my rifles to the range if I don’t have a trunk to lock them in?
Do I need to join a club before I apply for a LTC?
Can my licensing officer deny me?
Do I need letters of reference if my application doesn’t ask for them?
What do I put for a reason for wanting an LTC on my application?
Is an AR-15 extra killy if its all black?

IMO, some of those questions don't have clear answers. Are you actually planning on giving legal advice rather than just detailing what the laws on the books are? For example, the pulled over question... Search for a thread here, it will likely be locked and it'll be a tough read full of BS (not law). Same with Open Carry threads and no gun sign threads. I get they're frequently asked questions, but they're a can of worms, especially for someone just taking their safety class. Don't go overboard, they're noobs.

I read something in another thread that reminded me of something else to discuss. Ask why they should carry on their person instead of in a backpack or manpurse.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances tell them not to use the term 'clips' in their first post here. You gotta let us have a little fun. [smile]

Is the instructor buddy approved by the state of MA to sign certificates? Is he an NRA pistol instructor, and does everyone receive the NRA training materials? Will there be range time as part of the course? IMO a course without live fire is incomplete.

Last edited:
Here is what I have. Any others would be appreciated. I know he is not a lawyer but his advice (my opinion) is good.

Can I open carry in MA?
Can I keep my handgun under my mattress at home?
Can I take a buddy shooting and let him use my gun if he doesn’t have a license?
What do I do if I get pulled over and I am carrying concealed?
TGI Fridays has a sign on the door “No guns allowed” Does this mean I can’t go in if I am Carrying?
Why is it a bad idea to use a trigger lock on a loaded gun?
My buddy has a gun I want to buy, can I buy it from him without going to an FFL?
How do I transport my rifles to the range if I don’t have a trunk to lock them in?
Do I need to join a club before I apply for a LTC?
Can my licensing officer deny me?
Do I need letters of reference if my application doesn’t ask for them?
What do I put for a reason for wanting an LTC on my application?
Is an AR-15 extra killy if its all black?

I would not could not with a mouse, I could not would not in a house.
No law against open carry in Mass, but try and it'll be your ass.

Gun under your bed might ruin your life, but you won't get caught unless a cop is nailing your wife.
Take your buddy shooting and have some fun, but if he is a nut case or a criminal don't give him a gun.

If a Statie pulls you over and you are carrying in a holster, keep your mouth shut, take the ticket, and it is over.
Ignore signs that say guns are forbidden, but they can ask you to leave if the see it so keep it well hidden

If you have to ask why a trigger lock on a loaded gun is ill advised, you are too effin stupid to own guns, and a new hobby might prove wise.
You can buy your buddy's gun even if it is not on the list. Fill out an FA-10 and just mail it in.

If you have no trunk and are transporting your long gun, put it in a locked case and you won't have a problem.
There is nothing that says you can not join a club or a range, but you might find going without guns is just not the same

Denials in a Red town are all to common, if it happens in a Green town you are probably a moron
Some towns ask for a couple of letters and a 6 month wait doesn't make it any better

On some towns applications they want to see All Lawful Purpose, If they don't like that it could be a circus.
Only accurate AR's are extra killy, buying a gun to match your purse is just plain silly.

Not in a school not in a court, avoid the post office, I'll make this short
Keep it concealed keep your mouth shut, you live in Mass and people are nuts

Last edited:
I would not could not with a mouse, I could not would not in a house.
No law against open carry in Mass, but try and it'll be your ass.

Gun under your bed might ruin your life, but you won't get caught unless a cop is nailing your wife.
Take your buddy shooting and have some fun, but if he is a nut case or a criminal don't give him a gun.

If a Statie pulls you over and you are carrying a gun in a holster, keep your mouth shut, take the ticket, and it is over.
Ignore signs that say guns are forbidden, but they can ask you to leave if the see it so keep it well hidden

If you have to ask why a trigger lock on a loaded gun is ill advised, you are too effin stupid to own guns, and a new hobby might prove wise.
You can buy your buddy's gun even if it is not on the list. Fill out an FA-10 and just mail it in.

If you have no trunk and are transporting your long gun, put it in a locked case and you won't have a problem.
There is nothing that says you can not join a club or a range, but you might find going without guns is just not the same

Denials in a Red town are all to common, if it happens in a Green town you are probably a moron
Some towns ask for a couple of letters and a 6 month wait doesn't make it any better

On some towns applications they want to see All Lawful Purpose, If they don't like that it could be a circus.
Only accurate AR's are extra killy, buying a gun to match your purse is just plain silly.

Not in a school not in a court, avoid the post office, I'll make this short
Keep it concealed keep your mouth shut, you live in Mass and people are nuts

[laugh]. Did you spend all day on those limericks?

I suggested the trigger lock/loaded gun question too. It may seem obvious, but it doesn't hurt to explain it.

Is the instructor buddy approved by the state of MA to sign certificates? Is he an NRA pistol instructor, and does everyone receive the NRA training materials? Will there be range time as part of the course? IMO a course without live fire is incomplete.

Yes he is certified, his class is ONLY what is required by law, I know most of you would bash him for that but he is half price of the next best guy, Yup I know you get what you pay for. Blah Blah Blah. He does take any and all of them shooting for an extra fee. I took an 8 week course about 20 years ago that was pretty intense and I have been to about 3 with my buddy (we usually go shooting after and bring any students who wish to come) and in my opinion he does a great job. I benifit nothing from recruiting other than knowing I just got 15 more guys interested in guns today so in my book that's a win! Thanks for the suggestions.

shouldnt that be covered in the class?

I dont think the class covers in complete detail Mass Law, I could be wrong, it has been about 15 years since I took the class. We do know for sure all these guys come out of the class with stupid questions not answered, just look at the posts here for evidence!

Nobody can cover the complete MA gun laws in anything less than a gay.

After 4+ hours most student's brains are scrambled and retention is terrible. Getting into minutia detail on MA gun laws will be lost on them and "Basic" is basic, so keep the course to the required material and learning the law is best for another day.

You would need lens class for that on mass law.

My class was a joke I watched a 20plus year old VHS copy of a copy of a copy of a NRA video for kids and I took my class last year lol.

Understanding transport rules, storage rules. How much ammo you can have with out a note from the fire department . What to do if carry and pulled over.
The places you really can't carry vs places people think you can't.

Those are some of the questions I had.

Again these are best for later. Those that benefit most from my MA Gun Law Seminar are those that have been around for a while and compile in their heads numerous questions. Most of what you have above is really not beginner stuff, but a bit more advanced.

Has your other buddy taught classes before? If so, maybe he can answer some of the frequently asked questions for them. Keep in mind that it is primarily a safety course, so people shouldn't be learning laws at the expense of learning safety. I'm not trying to say you'll derail the course, but there is a defined curriculum that has to be covered.

When I took my class the did that sort of thing to get people thinking. They steered clear of legal questions when they couldn't answer them definitively. The Basic Pistol Safety course is not intended to be a legal course. Being new to firearms at the time, I learned a lot during my class that I now take for granted.

Since it sounds like the 17 of you are buddies, maybe invite them over for beers and pizza afterwards and go over the standard NES newbie questions.

But to answer your request:
1. Why is it a bad idea to use trigger locks on loaded firearms?

Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom