• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need some help with shooting technique

Grip support really doesn't have much to do with hitting your target. A tight, firm grip will help you recover the front sight back on target faster, but as long as you are not milking the grip it really won't affect where you are hitting. If you pull the trigger without disturbing the sights, you will hit the target.

Hmmm interesting. I'm perplexed. Ill have to get to the range soon and run through some paper targets to get an idea of where it is I'm hitting

Ok, so, I have a serious problem here. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a handgun.
Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe some classes I could take? Anyone feel like dragging me to the range to help?

quick sign up for local law enforcement. Just recite the mantra "spray and pray, spray and pray"

Grip support really doesn't have much to do with hitting your target. A tight, firm grip will help you recover the front sight back on target faster, but as long as you are not milking the grip it really won't affect where you are hitting. If you pull the trigger without disturbing the sights, you will hit the target.

A really loose sloppy grip will magnify the effect of poor trigger control though. Fixing the grip will at least help a little bit. Something I've found helpful when coaching is to have the student aim in at the target and then let me press the trigger for them, first with their finger out of the way, and then by pressing on their finger. It often leads to a lightbulb moment about what a half decent trigger press feels like.

A really loose sloppy grip will magnify the effect of poor trigger control though. Fixing the grip will at least help a little bit. Something I've found helpful when coaching is to have the student aim in at the target and then let me press the trigger for them, first with their finger out of the way, and then by pressing on their finger. It often leads to a lightbulb moment about what a half decent trigger press feels like.

Agreed. I've done that drill with students as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm interesting. I'm perplexed. Ill have to get to the range soon and run through some paper targets to get an idea of where it is I'm hitting

Start seated using a rest for the gun. Focus on just keeping the sights aligned and pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights.

Just about all the advise given has been right on and has helped me immensely but the two things that really paid off for me are start close and front sight focus with both eyes open. Put a small target close and work on that and then move back. I see too many guys shooting giant groups/splatter at 50 ft when they can't hit at three yards.
Oh yes... The BEST thing to do is shoot a lot. Not always a lot of rounds but as often as you can.

Have a friend mix dummies into your mags. Then have them film you shooting.

99% you've trained yourself to flinch.

Dry fire EVERY DAY. You should be dry firing at home all the time to teach yourself proper muscle memory.

Stop shooting at steel until you fix your shooting. Steel is a horrible thing to rely on for training. Use it for fun, not marksmanship.

^
This
What I do is load a revolver with mixed spend and live shells.
The shooter has no idea whats coming up next.
Just shoot single action. Save the double action for later when the bad habits are worked out.
You would be surprised what you catch when it's a click and not a boom. lol
Have someone watch from the side to spot what you don't see.
Whatever it is ,you probably don't even realize your doing it.
An extra set of eyes helps.
I had one student that was acually lunging forward as if to counter the recoil. Wouldn't believe it till the first "click"
He almost took a step forward .[laugh]

I hold my handguns with at least a good handshake level of firmness. When I shoot with one hand the hits are a couple of inches higher at 25 yards than with a two handed grip. The brass flies a bit farther too one handed. I have always thought that the recoil pushed the barrel a touch higher before the bullet left the barrel with less gripping force. The above statement does not seem to support my theory...

Oh and the number one cure for reducing flinching is a mad level of dry firing. At least for me it was...

not sure why dry firing would cure a flinch, since a flinch is a mental response to the exact thing that dry firing does not have

How about mad dry firing while shouting 'Pew Pew Pew'? I learn from top shot. I think it will help flinching.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

As supermoto said, don't be such a bitch, a little recoil never hurt anyone.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Um, ok, I'm not being a bitch, as I'm completely unaware of what it is I'm doing. I'm certainly not afraid of the recoil of a gun, the noise of the gun, or anything having to do with guns, clearly it's something in my mechanics that I'm not even sure what it is i'm doing wrong.

Um, ok, I'm not being a bitch, as I'm completely unaware of what it is I'm doing. I'm certainly not afraid of the recoil of a gun, the noise of the gun, or anything having to do with guns, clearly it's something in my mechanics that I'm not even sure what it is i'm doing wrong.

Nobody realizes they flinch, your brain shuts off. If it was mechanics, you would see what you are doing wrong and be able to correct it. That fact you have no idea mean that you are flinching

Do you wear glasses?

Like prescription or safety? Safety yes, prescription no.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody realizes they flinch, your brain shuts off. If it was mechanics, you would see what you are doing wrong and be able to correct it. That fact you have no idea mean that you are flinching

Well, I also have no idea because in all honesty, no one has ever taught me how to hold, or shoot a hand gun, so it could be one or the other I have no idea. I just can't figure out if it is flinching, why I would be doing so.

Ok, so, I have a serious problem here. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a handgun. No. Seriously. I can't shoot a handgun to save my life, ironically-literally. On the flip side of this, with a rifle, I can shoot the hairs of a gnats ass from a 100 yds with iron sights. I know they're different animals, but why the hell am I stupid accurate with one, and would have better luck hitting something if I threw it with the other. So what the hell gives?? I've tried seemingly everything. Different stances, different guns, but it doesnt help. For christ sakes, I brought a noob who'd never shot before to the range yesterday, sumna bitch hit the steel targets 4 out of 10 times first time, me........not one in 20. Hand me a rifle, lookout. I just can't figure it out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe some classes I could take? Anyone feel like dragging me to the range to help?

When can we go?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Stop drinking coffee/smoking. Nicotine & caffeine don't help your shaky hand.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

not sure why dry firing would cure a flinch, since a flinch is a mental response to the exact thing that dry firing does not have

For me it was getting a feel of the exact moment of sear release and trigger control. Then duplicating the process for real with only a large bang and recoil added to the mix. Maybe I learned it from some other practice and just attributed it to that.

But I don't shoot a thousand rounds a week or compete and never had ANYONE mentor me. Only my desire to be better and scattered bits of literature as my guide got me to where I am today. Those who don't shoot much think I'm a good shot. Some of you might think differently...

Dry fire a lot. Put a quarter on top of front sight, and aim, pull trigger. The quarter should stay flat like on a beach chair. Then try a peanut in place of the quarter.
Do 36 times a day. In a week, you'll be ready for your club pistol team.

The only thing that matters is that the sights are lined up with the target when the gun fires. Hold the gun however you want. Concentrate all efforts on sight alignment as you pull the trigger. Everything you have must be focused on keeping the sights aligned as you pull the trigger and I guarantee you will hit the target.

Ok, so, I have a serious problem here. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a handgun. No. Seriously. I can't shoot a handgun to save my life, ironically-literally. On the flip side of this, with a rifle, I can shoot the hairs of a gnats ass from a 100 yds with iron sights. I know they're different animals, but why the hell am I stupid accurate with one, and would have better luck hitting something if I threw it with the other. So what the hell gives?? I've tried seemingly everything. Different stances, different guns, but it doesnt help. For christ sakes, I brought a noob who'd never shot before to the range yesterday, sumna bitch hit the steel targets 4 out of 10 times first time, me........not one in 20. Hand me a rifle, lookout. I just can't figure it out.

Hey HKdrummer,

Watch these videos, they helped me when i first started out.

Shooting Techniques Part 1 [ Stance] - YouTube
Shooting Techniques Part 2 [ Grip ] - YouTube
Shooting Techniques Part 3 [ Trigger Control ] - YouTube
Trigger & Grip Tip - YouTube

Mike.

31241d1271456711-how-does-one-learn-shoot-handgun-what-your-right-handed-shots-telling-you.jpg

When did the 12:00 shot become "breaking wrist up"? It was always looking at the target and not the front sight and still is. If you are shooting steel, you want to see it fall. If you are looking at the target, you will miss high and it will not fall. Fundamentals: Grip, stance, sight picture, trigger control. Most important: trigger, then sight picture but poor stance or grip can screw things up too. Pick the gun up with your left hand and place it into your right hand. Get your feet in the right place so that the pistol is pointing at the target. Raise the gun up to get on target then move your left foot forward or backward. It will cause your body to rotate and the pistol will move to the right if you move foot forward or to the left if you move it back. It would seem that this isn't important as you can move your arm but when you do, you put strain on the muscles that cause the pistol to want to move back to the equilibrium position. (It is also important using two hands.) Two eyes open is the way to go but put a piece of tape over the left, non shooting lens of your shooting glasses. This allows your left eye to be open but doesn't give it anything to see. As an aside, you could be right handed with a left eye dominant. Raise your right hand to point at something across the room with both eyes open. Close your left eye. If you are still pointing at the object, you are right eye dominant. Finally, trigger. You must accept that you can not hold the pistol perfectly still. You must squeeze the trigger keeping the sights aligned and get it to break cleanly with a little bit of surprise. If you think "the sights are right on now" and jerk the trigger, the bullet will go low left. Not Flinching, just jerking the trigger. Short barrels make the sights seem steadier but it is just an illusion. (Like people who like low power scopes for offhand rifle shooting because they wander less...)

Here is Sarge's Pistol Correction Target:

sarge_target.jpg

White Feather

I'm busy for the next few weeks, but after mid September I could meet you at Harvard Sportsmen's Club and give you some pointers. I'm an NRA instructor so I have taught people to shoot handguns.

As for stance, frankly it isn't of much importance unless you are shooting bullseye. In action pistol matches we shoot leaning to the right or left, with the left foot forward or the right, retreating or advancing, prone, kneeling, etc. What matters is that you have the sights aligned when you break the shot. I've shot while flat on my back and hit the target.

The idea that you can't hit the target unless you have just the right stance and have your body exactly aligned with the target is just crap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom