Need Some Help - Shield/M&P9c/SR9c Purchase Comparison

I have an sr9c and love it. I can carry it, use it for home and then put the Sr9 mags in with the grip extension and go to the range. It does it all and does it very well.

Thank you so much for all the great responses. To sum it up, I don't think there is a bad choice. I ended up getting the SR9c. Price was a factor as well as how it felt in hand. Thank you all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all the great responses. To sum it up, I don't think there is a bad choice. I ended up getting the SR9c. Price was a factor as well as how it felt in hand. Thank you all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

You won't regret that choice. Reminds my how awesome it is everytime I squeeze the trigger

I have the sr9c and I have put maybe 500 rounds through it. I have also shot the shield also in 9mm I will tell you both are amazing. The shield fits the hang perfectly and is smooth as hell. In between the both of those for me it comes down to mag capacity and I find the sr9c to be a funner range gun.

I have over 2000 flawless rounds through my sr9c. And the trigger is way better than m&p

+1

Pure sex.

29glp8i.jpg

Ohhhh ya that loaded chamber indicator is driving me crazy

I nearly commented the same thing. I cannot stand that. I mean I dislike the stupid indicator on the MK III's, but that is just obnoxious. Seriously, why don't they add a giant label on the trigger that says 'gun may discharge when pulled'.

I hate the stupid warnings on guns like the M&P that say 'capable of firing with the magazine removed' too. I mean seriously!?! Why the heck are they designing firearms and tailoring them to idiots? If people need these things on their guns they probably aren't the people you should be marketing them to.

Rant off. This just irks me.

I think I'm about to upset a lot of SR9c owners. I owned them both but ended up getting rid of the SR9c after its third trip back to Ruger for repairs. I will agree the SR9c is a good gun to shoot but its quality was not there, the first time it went back it was for a slide spring that snapped, then the second time they had to replace the entire barrel because it wouldn't chamber a round, and finally once I received it back with the new barrel it had to go back because the new barrel's feed ramp was not machined right so once again it still wouldn't chamber a round. I think they are good range guns, but for a personal defense carry handgun I just couldn't put my life on it (or I just purchased the lemon of the year). I have the Shield and Glock 26 that I switch out and wouldn't trade them for 100 SR9c's, so my vote goes to the Shield, unless you have sampled a variety of different handguns don't limit your self there are a lot of good conceal carry handguns out there. Springfield Armory XDS, Glock 26, Kahr P9 just to name a few.

I think I'm about to upset a lot of SR9c owners. I owned them both but ended up getting rid of the SR9c after its third trip back to Ruger for repairs. I will agree the SR9c is a good gun to shoot but its quality was not there, the first time it went back it was for a slide spring that snapped, then the second time they had to replace the entire barrel because it wouldn't chamber a round, and finally once I received it back with the new barrel it had to go back because the new barrel's feed ramp was not machined right so once again it still wouldn't chamber a round. I think they are good range guns, but for a personal defense carry handgun I just couldn't put my life on it (or I just purchased the lemon of the year). I have the Shield and Glock 26 that I switch out and wouldn't trade them for 100 SR9c's, so my vote goes to the Shield, unless you have sampled a variety of different handguns don't limit your self there are a lot of good conceal carry handguns out there. Springfield Armory XDS, Glock 26, Kahr P9 just to name a few.

Why would you getting a lemon upset other owners? Overwhelming majority of SR9c owners have no issues and love the gun.

Why would you getting a lemon upset other owners? Overwhelming majority of SR9c owners have no issues and love the gun.

I agree. I love the SR9C.

I have a few buddies who have the Shield. Hands down they say the SR9C is overall a better gun compared to their shield.

Shoot both at the range. Research and good luck!

I had both and kept the Shield....Nicer fit and finish and you put the safety on and chamber a round, its on safe and you are ready to go

To the OP. The first thing you need to do is figure out if you want a double stack gun along the lines of the M&P 9 C, SR9 C, XDm or Glock 19/26 or if you want a slim single stack along the lines of the Shield, Kahr P9/CW9, XDs or others.

The double stack guns are nice, but you need to be realistic about if you will carry it.

When I first got my pistol permit, I bought big. Then I never carried it. Then I bought smaller then smaller, then I carried it every day. It wasn't until I got over the feeling that I was printing and everyone noticed that I started carrying larger. And even then I had to accept that I WAS printing. Its just that nobody notices. My Kahr P9 single stack is much easier to carry than my G19. Its not just the size, but the weight. Good luck in your choice.

They are all great guns.

If you are new to carrying, may I recommend a book?

Massad Ayoob's Book of Concealed Carry is a decent read. Will give you a lot to think about as you get into it.

Some on NES don't like Ayoob for whatever reason, and there are definitely other good books. That is one I give to all my friends that are newly into guns.

I like Ayoob, but I can't really recommend his most classic book, "In the Gravest Extreme." A lot of very dated concepts in there, and the book is very condescending to the "average armed citizen." A carryover from the era where cops were the supposed professionals and your average Joe was supposedly too stupid and lazy to operate anything but a .38 Special (but not .357, that round is just too much to handle [hmmm]).

I like Ayoob, but I can't really recommend his most classic book, "In the Gravest Extreme." A lot of very dated concepts in there, and the book is very condescending to the "average armed citizen." A carryover from the era where cops were the supposed professionals and your average Joe was supposedly too stupid and lazy to operate anything but a .38 Special (but not .357, that round is just too much to handle [hmmm]).

I partly agree. I say partly because I agree with your point, but don't agree with your conclusion. His discussion and explanation of the justifiable use of lethal force is still the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

Its funny that some people don't care for him. Some of you new guys may not know this, but he's from New Hampshire. I and many others here have met him several times at his home club, the Pioneer Valley Sportsmen's Club in Dunbarton, NH. He was there so much, he was actually hard to avoid.

He was a regular at their summer match during the early days of IDPA. (98-04ish) They used to let him design a stage that he would use to test a certain hypothesis. One year it was a stage shot in 2 identical strings. Once with a standard Glock, the other string would be shot with the identical gun, except without sights. Distance was close. The lack of sights forced the shooter to point rather than aim. To compensate for the tendency to shoot the second string better, he alternated whether a shooter shot the sighted or the unsighted gun first. We all learned something. Mainly that we shoot faster but accurately enough when we point. At least at the roughly 10 foot distance we were shooting at.

That was a great match. Lunch would be catered by Hart's Turkey Farm. Everyone would be in a turkey induced L-Tryptophan coma for the second half of the day. Coffee was popular.

Last edited:
I partly agree. I say partly because I agree with your point, but don't agree with your conclusion. His discussion and explanation of the justifiable use of lethal force is still the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, but I've seen other examples of his work that deliver the same knowledge and expertise without insinuating the general gun-carrying public are a bunch of lazy incompetents. I'd steer folks more towards some of his videos found on YouTube... "Shoot to Live", "Judicious Use of Deadly Force", etc.

OK. Good to know. Thanks.

Are those videos the ones where he says "Never lie to cops, if you lie once you are a liar forever in their minds. . . . .You suck one C0ck, you're a c0cksucker for life".

I nearly lost it when he said that.

OK. Good to know. Thanks.

Are those videos the ones where he says "Never lie to cops, if you lie once you are a liar forever in their minds. . . . .You suck one C0ck, you're a c0cksucker for life".

I nearly lost it when he said that.

Well, it was actually "never lie in a court of law" but yes, that was part of "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" (which looks like it was just a recording of one of his LFI courses). "Shoot to Live" was an interview done by Lenny Magill and has some really great practical tips for defensive shootings. Some of the information on ammunition is slightly outdated, but it's very much worth watching. It's broken up into 8 parts on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom