• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need some grease relief

gws1063

NES Member
Apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find any references.

I have a mostly leather bayonet scabbard which is soaked (and filled) with thick black grease. I've found plenty of great ideas for grease removal from the bayonet, but how do I get the grease out of the leather scabbard without wrecking the leather? Anyone have experience with this? Bake it out? Steam it out? Detergents? Degreasers?

Thanks,
Gary

I'd be inclined to bake it out! Keep the temp somewhat low. I think I used 125 degrees. Also, set the scabbard at a downward angle with the opening at the low end to help it run out. keep an eye on it so you don't overdo it and ruin the leather or shrink it.

I used an old toaster oven to clean off cosmolene from some SKS parts, and plugged it in outdoors so I wouldn't trash a good oven, and I didn't have to smell it.

That, and my wife would have kicked my ass if I'd done it indoors!

Last edited:
I'm thinking you're refering to one of the Enfield bayonets and sheaths. They're long black leather with metal fittings and are filled with old grime and gunk. A hair dryer with low heat will help release most of the cosmolene. As for getting it out of the inside, theres no way to really do that.
For the outsides of bayonet frogs and rifle slings I've used traditional store bought leather cleaners with good results. As long as you follow it up with a good leather preservative like Pecard's it'll be ok. Do a search for a place called Turner Slings and check out their antique leather dressing.

I had to clean one once, I used a scrap t-shirt and an old hacksaw blade with some Kroil to dissolve the grease and just kept wiping it out until it mostly came out.
I don't think I got it all but it worked for me!

Thanks, folks. I'll try a few things and hopefully report back with good news.

Yes, Milsurps, it is one of the Enfield bayonets. Oddly, the blade looks like it hasn't been touched since it was manufactured, but everything else is nasty.

-Gary

Back
Top Bottom