need some feedback

My wifes best friend invites us and we go to their memorial day picnic every year. It well known that I carry a gun and no one has ever had an issue about it. Well, this year seems to be different. I've been asked to not have it with me this year or ever I'm guessing. Her friends reason is because of the children. Now, my handgun has never jumped of of me and gone around threatening people nor have I taken it out ever and waved it around. My initial feeling was I wasn't happy about it but I said ok, now I'm thinking about telling the wife to go without me and be sure to let them know why. I'm very sure this will cause an argument. What are your opinions out there? Should I just say the hell with it and go without or what. Thanks for any responses.

I would do my best to educate them if I truly felt like it would help and I valued the friendship.
Otherwise I would just not show up and let the friendship cease naturally.

Concealed means concealed ...
What they don't know can't hurt them.
My grand ma on my moms side likes it when I carry . My step dad sister thinks I'm nuts(she works at a pd doing the paper work for ltc's) her husband I shoot with and tells me I should carry .. I just don't tell people . And if try ask I ask them what color there underwear is.
Or say if Im I am or not it shouldn't matter to you . Then again I don't care of people turn on me .

I'd opt out. Maybe have in locked in your vehicle close by just in case but remember why you have it in the first place, to protect your family on the drive over and back. You never know where, when or how you might need it.

While I agree with Concealed means concealed, there is also something in a "friendship"

Friends typically share many, not necessarily all the same thoughts but tend to more than not. If this is a real issue for others, then I would also suggest assessing the "friendship" and perhaps letting it run it's course.

Now I see this is a wife's friend, I think where your wife stands on your carrying is important as well.

We all know, once you leave the house without it, if you ever need it, you can say hang on, let me run home and grab my gun.

You prepare for all contingencies as best you can ahead of time.

There's a reason it's called concealed carry.

This,
and the fact that when the event is over, you can say you had it the whole time,..and say "SEE? with responsible people, no one knows, or gets hurt, and someone (like me) is here just in case someone not responsible with a gun comes along" of course she won't invite you back most likely, but screw her!

Just go and bring it - nobody will know.

Carrying a firearm isnt about "proving points"...it's about having it if, god-forbid, you ever needed it. If your wifes friend thinks you arent carrying and doesnt know either way, then good. You'll know you have it and thats all that matters.

Personally, just about nobody knows I carry. My wife does obviously, and my 2 best friends know I carry often but they dont ask when Im with them if I am or not, and I'm not sure if the assume I am or arent, but I dont care.

I've literally gotten into arguments with people and at points in the debates they've told me how dumb it would be for anyone to carry a gun, how unnecessary it is, blah blah...all while I have my HK under my shirt. I dont tell them I'm carrying, I just argue my points like a rational person. They dont need to know I have it.

Concealed is concealed until it becomes trespassing. If they know you have it, even if they can't see it, and they told you not to bring it, you are now subject to trespassing. Just because you can get the cookies out of the jar and mommy won't know, that does not make it right. The cat is out of the bag.

Now you need to decide not to go or to go unarmed. They may be stupid people but anything else is a violation of their rights on their property.

where is the picnic?
public place? if so, i would carry and stfu about it.
her house? see above but be prepared to get kicked out if found out.
(disclaimer-i am one of those people, who when told not to do something, will want to do it twice as bad-even at my supposedly advanced age.)

What's the worst that could go wrong? You might actually need a gun because some madman decides to start killing everyone there. No big deal.

Good thing you left your pistol at home. Wouldn't want to scare anybody, right?

I would politely decline on principle, and inform them of that. I would however, also acknowledge that it is "their home, their rules" and they set the terms for visitors. To go armed after saying you would not seems wimpy and if you are discovered will make you and your wife look cowardly.
You win the most by standing on principle. Especially with your wife.

Last edited:
I will agree in some fashion with almost everyone on here.
If it was me, I wouldnt go.
If it was me, and my girlfriend was going to make "that face" about it, I go, carry CONCEALED, and let the wookie think it won.
If you do go, in the off chance something bad happens, remember, get your own family to safety, and let the moonbats wait for the police.

I'll keep my comments about your friends to myself.
I generally agree that concealed means concealed. However, you told them you wouldn't bring your gun. If you do then that makes you a liar.
It all comes down to how much you like them and if the friendship is worth saving.
Your friend might wonder why you're willing to send your wife to the party with no protection. Why is it ok for her and not you? My point being; if you don't go neither should she.

My wifes best friend invites us and we go to their memorial day picnic every year. It well known that I carry a gun and no one has ever had an issue about it. Well, this year seems to be different. I've been asked to not have it with me this year or ever I'm guessing. Her friends reason is because of the children. Now, my handgun has never jumped of of me and gone around threatening people nor have I taken it out ever and waved it around. My initial feeling was I wasn't happy about it but I said ok, now I'm thinking about telling the wife to go without me and be sure to let them know why. I'm very sure this will cause an argument. What are your opinions out there? Should I just say the hell with it and go without or what. Thanks for any responses.

As it is your wife's best friend and it is an annual thing the whole "Don't go" or "Screw them" argument is moot.

I would speak with your wife first on it and see how she feels about the whole issue and go from there.. it is your wife's best friend and probably an important friend in her life thus worth the discussion

I would leave it locked in the car and go to the cookout. It is your wife's best friend. I am sure the relationship means alot to her and so I wouldn't carry for a couple hours.

All really helpful answers. I think I will discuss it with the wife and maybe leave if in the car. I'm just really pissed that suddenly I'm a frickin criminal that might hurt children because of this whole Newtown thing. Hell, literally two week ends ago we went to their grand duaghters first birthday party at a restaurant snd no one had a clue I was carrying. Makes you feel very mad.

Leave the gun at home, eat as much food as you can in the shortest amount of time, leave early, pick up gun, go to range.

When you host the cookout ask that no one arrive in a Prius or any car with an Obama sticker.

If you get agreement with your wife, maybe it's time for you to start your own Memorial Day picnic tradition?

It gives you an excuse not to go.....tell them it's for the children. Apparently, that's game/set/match in any libtard argument.

My kids ask me every time if my wife and I are carrying. My kids deserve armed security. Period. Don't like it? too bad.

Back
Top Bottom