Need some advice?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[thinking] I work in the "security" side of things at a local Ocean research outfit. Its located in a quiet suburb of Cape Cod and is a generally, a very safe place. A day ago, an unknown individual portraying himself as a member of the security staff of my employer tried to lure(direct/order) a young grad student to "report to the Security Office". This is troubling for many reasons, the least of which is a non employee engaging in this behavior and there is no "Security Office! Yes, I know impersonating a security guard is not a crime, and Lord knows there are much better "persons/occupations" to impersonate if one was involved in some illegal or nefarious behavior!

Problem is that my employer does not appear to be taking the incident seriouslly! The management, has not sent out any warnings or even informed the employees or surrounding community of the problem.[sad] What makes this situation even more troubling, is that "Cape Cod" has had several incidents of persons impersonating an under cover Police Officer attempting to detain young female drivers.[thinking] And please don't get me "wrong". I'm not trying to suggest that the impersonation of a security guard is the equivalent of impersonating an LEO!

I'm not trying to play "McGruff the crime dog" here, just use some common sense and maybe, proactivelly, deter the needless injury/death of any female members of the organization or the community as a whole. There are numerous bike trails, walking paths, and isolated parking areas that this individual could use in his exploits! My employer has done nothing in the last 48 hours to warn or inform anyone of the incident. It appears that their plan is to include some mention of it in the weekly bulliten and have the Security staff monitor the Campus more closely. I, assuming this would be the standard reaction based on previous experience, "quietly" informed a senior member of the Graduate student community of the situation and asked that he spread word of the incident as well as suggestions on how to positively identify members of the security staff(We don't wear uniforms). I also contacted the local PD and informed them of the incident. Those actions were not approved by my boss and most likely would have negative reprocussions for me[rolleyes]!

So..... Any Ideas on what, if anything I can do? Am I being paranoid about this, or does this sound like "trouble"? Thanks in advance... N_O

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you did the right thing. He is trying to keep it quiet so it doesn't have a negative impact on his business but the responsiblity to the community far outweighs that. spread it far and wide.

everyone needs to do their part to make things better and people safe.

Yes Virginia there are crazy people in this world, carry a gun...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you really feel that more needs to be done and your concern is there could be a further incidennt then I would suggest that you bring it back up with your company and let them know that you believe it needs to brought to the attention of others and if they are still reluctant then I would suggest you talk to the local police and get their opinion on what needs to be done

If you don't and something happens think how you are going to feel

I would rather sound the alarm and be wrong then do nothing and be right

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whale Songs

It sounds like maybe you should develop some seacreat Passwords that Only Employees would know. So when challanged your employee would know the Password. Change the CODE word frequently.

U: Something like: Excuse me Mammee I am the company security guard.
Dem: Howd I knowd that? Fere sure?
U: "Ill sing you a Whale Song"
Dem: OK You pass Friend or Foe test.

We did this in Unckle Sams Canoe Club. If you had a shituation where a shipmate was under duress yyou could ask them the Secreat Password. If they got t wrong you were suppose to shoot whoever was with them.

It worked fairly well until a Lt made the Password of the day "UNCKLE" it was Family show & tell day. Luckaly nobody was stupid enough to take it litteraly that day.

Mad Dg 20/20 was allway a popular password, as was How many fingers am I holding?

How this helps.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would call up the Cape Cod Times and speak with a reporter off the record.
See JonJ's reply. Off the record frequently isn't (often times it is not too difficult to figure out who talked to the press). It could be traced back to you and then you would definitely get canned.

Since you work for a private security firm on contract, why not have your site manager or someone higher up from your company discuss the incident with your client and offer recommendations. It's still up to your client to choose a course of action. As long as you have documented the incident and what you have done to try to avoid a repetition, you have done about all that you can do.

Mark L.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It sounds like maybe you should develop some seacreat Passwords that Only Employees would know. So when challanged your employee would know the Password. Change the CODE word frequently.

U: Something like: Excuse me Mammee I am the company security guard.
Dem: Howd I knowd that? Fere sure?
U: "Ill sing you a Whale Song"
Dem: OK You pass Friend or Foe test.

We did this in Unckle Sams Canoe Club. If you had a shituation where a shipmate was under duress yyou could ask them the Secreat Password. If they got t wrong you were suppose to shoot whoever was with them.

It worked fairly well until a Lt made the Password of the day "UNCKLE" it was Family show & tell day. Luckaly nobody was stupid enough to take it litteraly that day.

Mad Dg 20/20 was allway a popular password, as was How many fingers am I holding?

How this helps.
Seriously?

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
See JonJ's reply. Off the record frequently isn't (often times it is not too difficult to figure out who talked to the press). It could be traced back to you and then you would definitely get canned.
Anonymous call from a phone booth. If the reporter doesn't know who they spoke with, then the reporter can't name their source. If the Cape Cod Times has any scruples, they will start digging and won't write an article until they can confirm it (which they might be able to do if there is an entry in the log of the local PD).

Yes, management might guess who talked to the reporter, and if they decide it was night_owl he would be fired. Only he can decide if the risk is worth it.

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously?

Seriously?

I Seriously hope not. However the issuance of Crickets to all authorized members of the intellectual fraternity engaged in pursuance of Maritime endeavors may be prudent. Upon accostment by inhospitable characters the fellow may notify others of like persuasions of the ill intent perceived and engage assistance posthaste.

Note:(Actually, I've always had a rather extensive vocabulary, not to mention a phenomenal grasp of grammar and a superlative command of syntax. I simply chose not to employ them.)

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[grin] Hey thanks for the replies and the advice/ideas. When I spoke to the local PD on the phone they said they would put it in the "shift log", but that they couldn't do a whole lot. And my employer just doesn't seem to interested in advertising anything that isn't positive about the company. [rolleyes]

I think that informing the local police and spreading the word with the employees is about all I can do.

Thanks again... N_O[wink]

Top Bottom