• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Schooling for Purchase of AK-47

dustoff22

NES Member
My #3 son is interested in purchasing an AK and asked my advice. I had one in Vietnam for awhile and loved it but didn't then nor now know squat about it other than in fired flawlessly.

My questions are:

In this state I assume an AK must be pre-ban to own? I assume that any mag over a 10 capacity must be also pre-ban to purchase and own?

I notice GunBroker has a ton of AK's for sale. Any recommendations for and what to stay away from?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ps....I don't want to build one.

Last edited:
The gun itself doesn't have to be pre-ban, unless it has AWB features. You can normally find WASR-10s at most MA gun shops for about $500-$600, and they usually even package a pre-ban 30 round mag or two. The mags themselves are pretty easy to come by, most shops have pre-bans for about $20 or so. I have a WASR-10 and haven't had any problems with it for 2 years now, but you should check for canted sights and mag wobble when you're buying it (might be hard to find one that doesn't wobble, but it's not the end of the world either - just make sure it's relatively tight). You might be able to find other kinds, like MAK-90s or Maadis, but I can't speak to the differences between those and a WASR.

Also, check the classifieds, they pop up every now and again for good prices.

there's a good thread over in the firearms section complete with pictures that will help.

and beaten by two minutes but here's what my post was: you can start with a WASR, it's an AK and gets the job done. it doesn't have to be pre-ban, only ban-compliant. same deal as with ARs applies in terms of evil features. you are correct in that all mags do need to be pre-ban however unlike with AR mags there are usually no markings on AK mags indicating their age and no real tricks... so draw your own conclusions as to whether you should purchase a standard steel AK mag you may come across in your travels.

The bans that you need to concern yourself are twofold:

1) MA AWB
You should know the deal, no bayo lug no flash hider

-and-

2) 18 USC 922r

A jungle of laws that are absolutely tarded. If you buy an import ok long gun (sporterized), and change any one single part, a certain percentage of the total parts of the gun need to be changed to domestic parts.

I'm sure someone who is more familiar with AK conversions will chime in with the details I surely botched.

I have a SAR-1 and love the thing. Bare bones no frills AK. I looked at WASR's but I never liked how they had the plates welded inside the mag well instead of the dimple on a standard stamped receiver. I had read the plates can allow mag wobble and cause feeding problems, so I went straight to the SAR-1 which from what I could understand was the closest to a military AKM as possible. (I bought this right in the middle of the AWB for what its worth) I've been completely satisfied with it.

The Wasr I recently bought didn't come with a cleaning kit or cleaning rod (just bought those online for cheap) and it doesn't have significant magazine wobble. As far as I can tell, the receiver and trigger are U.S. made (tapco in Vermont I believe) not sure about the rest.

I refinished the wood on it and have put about 250 rounds through it with only one malfunction.

922(r) is only a parts count for US vs. foreign manufactured parts on an imported rifle.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

You as a buyer shouldn't be too concerned with this- odds are if it's a manufactured rifle, it's already compliant. But it's always good to check, anyways. Tapco trigger groups, US furniture and muzzle nuts, US receivers, and magazine parts are always something to look for on a gun. I wouldn't worry about it. It's more of a builder's law than a consumer's.

The Wasr I recently bought didn't come with a cleaning kit or cleaning rod (just bought those online for cheap) and it doesn't have significant magazine wobble. As far as I can tell, the receiver and trigger are U.S. made (tapco in Vermont I believe) not sure about the rest.

The trigger is US made (Tapco, which is not located in Vermont... Century Arms is, though)

The receiver is NOT US made- it is Romanian. Build in Cugir as a single stack receiver, it was modified by CAI to fit a larger double-stack magazine. CAI also added the US made parts for 922(r) compliance- the trigger group, the shitty US made wood furniture, and probably a muzzle nut or gas piston or both.

Most WASRs have magazine wobble. And it doesn't matter if they do or not. What you should care about is if magazines actually fit into the gun. I have 20+ AK magazines and all of them behave differently in my rifles. If you have a mag well that is too tight, sometimes it won't take a few of the ones that are on the wide side.

dustoff, I know you said you dont want to build one but I want to stress that reconfiguring a Saiga is not hard and actualy a lot of fun.

I'm not mechanically inclined at all and i was able to do it with only some minor problems.

My #3 son is interested in purchasing an AK and asked my advice. I had one in Vietnam for awhile and loved it but didn't then nor now know squat about it other than in fired flawlessly.

1. Thank you for your service. The AK you had over there was probably Russian or Chinese, as both were supplied to the people you were fighting. If it was a milled receiver, it could have been a Type 1, 2, or 3. It was not uncommon to see Russian Type 1's over there, which are basically the original AK47 (actually made in 1948). That is pretty freaking sweet.

2. AK's to stay away from: IO Inc AKs. I've seen a few that were ok, but they make their own receiver and heat treat them with a oxy-acetaline gas torch and motor oil. Not that this is a bad thing, but for a large scale manufacturer? F that noise.

Everyone else has gotten a good hold on MA legal AKs. Either pre-ban (which are expensive) or neutered post ban AKs.

A good, solid, AK that is easily found in MA is a MAK90. It's chinese. It's MA compliant. And the chinese are freaking great at knocking off the AK platform- their AKs are some of the finest out there. Great machining. Great trigger feel. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom